Prevent the Enemy Damaging or Moving Locked Vehicles

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How should locked vehicles interact with enemy fire?

• Damageable and moveable (Default)

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Invulnerable and immobile (Suggestion)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
I suggested in the private Testing forum that vehicles in Jailbreak should be prevented from being damaged and moved by enemy fire when locked (ie when no one had entered the vehicle since it spawned).

However, we'd like to know what the public opinion is on damaging locked enemy vehicles:

Default:
The current setup allows, say, the red team to freely pass the blue team's locked vehicles and destroy them to bits (or leave them nearly destroyed). They can also be moved by weapon damage or by pushing them while in other vehicles.
This setup is the same as in ONS, and when you're killed you obviously respawn instantly. However in JB if newly released prisoners pop into an almost destroyed vehicle they'll soon be heading back to jail, which could have a significant impact on the round. It also kind of spoils the fact that there are vehicles to play around with in the first place.

Suggestion:
The idea of this bit of code (or it could be an addon) would be to make all locked vehicles invulnerable and unmoveable by enemy fire. This would ensure that all vehicles when initially entered have full health and are where they should be. The down side of this is that it is a break from the norm, and it appears a little unrealistic too to see a manta resist a tank shell.

However, gameplay is the deciding factor for this, so would you rather vehicles were invulnerable and unmoveable, or left as they are with the default setup?

Last edited:

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
Personally I'd either leave it the way it is, or at the most go for: invulnerable, but still able to be moved... (and if they are moved from their spawnpoint, they respawn after a certain time (to prevent them being blown into a corner where you can't get them out).

There doesn't seem to be too many occasions where you come across all of the other team's vehicles unmanned, and I reckon if the player wants to spend their ammo, time and make themselves more vulnerable by shooting a stationary enemy vehicle then so be it! (They respawn in 30 seconds anyway, it's not really worth it).

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
I'd be very uneasy about giving enemies the possibility of being able to hax your vehicles so that they could use them. Most vehicles are near the release switch, so as well as camping the switch, campers can also grab the vehicles and make "regaining your own base" even harder.

A shield around protected vehicles may be nice, but I'm kind of inclined to Spoony's suggestion of "invulnerable but moveable" vehicles which respawn in position after a period of time of being out of position and vacant.

Maybe I should have made that as a poll option too.