Post AP Map Pack glitches here

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
Skaxis said:
If I was more patient I would have waited until the post that said to delete my script-breaking-map.... and re-run the script... but NOOOO

I'm impatient and let my bro help me.

Now I have another worry even if it isn't a problem. The way in which the game was fixed, was to perform what my bro and I are calling an "XMP Slam".... I deleted all the folders n files that were in my U2XMP folder except for maps and textures. My bro made a copy of HIS U2XMP folder except for the maps n textures folders... and I simply overwrote my U2XMP folder contents with the CD he burned of the data.

My NEW PROB/Worry... is that the executeables wont have unique serial numbers :p iffn that's important or not, I don't know. A further complication, is that he had a hard-drive bootsector worm destroy his previous installation of perty much everything on his computer a while back and he had to re-install using the CD crack because HE.... LIKE ME... was beta and never owned the game from the store shelf... so noooow..I got a copy of the CD crack installation, as does my bro, and we both once owned perfectly legitimate installations of the game.... but no longer :p

OR is this where I ask everyone.... Do I/We have a problem? Is what we've done to recover our rightfully-deserved-installations something that can be seen as criminal? Can we ask Atari/Legend for replacement installation executeables? lol.... prob'ly not...

Now I feel like a criminal :p.... all b'cause Ah's too cheap to go buy the game that I already "owned" (so to speak).

Any input on this fine moral-dilema mess?

Thx,
Skax

ok first newer unreal games are VERRRRRY sncitive to memory stabuility so you may want to run mem test for a full set and let it test the hell out of ur memory

theres no moral dilema this game and u2 are abandoned and even if they whernt the fact that you owned a copy should cover ur moral issues

oh and a tip once you got a good working copy of 2uxmp use winrar and make an arcive out of it i took my install from 1gb down to 400mb using best/solid/recover record

hell i own unreal2 and i cant use my cd becouse i refuse to uninstall a bunch of software and dissconnect drives to get it to install (laim)

the crack just removes the installers check for a disk nothingmore the installer takes nothing back from unreal2's disk

Brainiacus

Feb 17, 2004
Just fix that bloody second generator on Miasma already. I'm getting sick of the 'Screw Artifacts And Camp The Only Generator On The Map' games. ;)

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
A long long way from home...
Erm about misty mountains (surprise!) - When you jump on top of the colombs if f***s up you see, now i went into Ued (see i'm brave really) and deleted some 'boxes' on the top of them. Now i have no idea what they, but i ran the game and jumped on top of them and it worked fine. What are they for? And why does it mess up?

i also (for a laugh) deleted lots of other stuff that to me, a n00b mapper of the worst kind, thought would look better without -like all the boxes with nothing in them :) The map runs great on my pc, and only has the things that were wrong with it in version d... (well it is version d after all :D)

Now i have no real idea what i did to be perfectly honest, but it loads a lot quicker than before :) I was just having fun going 'right click' 'delete' 'right click' 'delete' etc... a strange type of amusement... :)

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Those orange boxes you saw are antiportals. What they do is stop Unreal from rendering things behind them (that you can't see), therefore increasing frame rates. The other "boxes" are blocking volumes (basically keep players from getting somewhere they shouldnt be), and other type of volumes (liquids, etc.) The "boxes with nothing in them" are actually invisible in-game. :)

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
^^ :) ty :) But the boxes on top don't block you as such, they sort of make the screen go screwy... Lol i'll discover all those other things in good time :) I like the word antiportal :) Dunno what it really means though!

...andrelax

SkyBum
Mar 14, 2004
london, uk
fireball said:
How do antiportals work? If the player can see behind/through them, is the stuff behind them still not rendered?

all to do with optimisation:

unreal 3/xmp renders EVERYTHING in front of the camera (even behind walls/hills) unless you stick zones/ antiportals/fog in.

in vast open areas, you stick antiportals underneath the terrain in the hills; these block whatever is behind them unless even a slight corner of what you're blocking is in view. for terrain this is only ok with high hills, and you have to remember that terrain sectors are quite big by default so a corner of one of these will make the antiportals inefficient.
antiportals are quite demanding on the processor, so don't use too many.
they MUST NOT ever be in view to the player - otherwise you get the hall of mirror effect.

zone portals are good but only in doorways and corridors; although they help you describe a different area, everything behind them gets rendered, so yuo need them tiny. this makes them no use for outdoor areas at all.

zoe fog is a messy but useful last resort in a map - everything beyond its range gets cut out, so it's good in huge outdoor maps. you have to ensure the fog is the same colour as the background so the scenery disappears into it rather than suddenly flicks off, which is really ugly.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
If a player is looking directly at an antiportal...whatever is on the other side is not rendered. Now...if a player can see part of a static mesh, and the other part is behind the antiportal, the whole object is still rendered. Only things that are behind the portal completely are occulded.

If you enter into an antiportal, you will get a "Hall of Mirrors" effect. Bascially, the engine isnt rendering anything, so it displays whatever last filled that spot on the screen. Players should not be able to enter an antiportal under any circumstances. I've already fixed this in Misty Mountains v2...just wish we would have caught that sooner.

Gumby

Pretty in Pink!
Feb 29, 2004
^^ i agree about Anubis... Randomly fire a rocket and you kill 4 people... :lol:

If there were more maps at any point, ones that resemble "lavagiant2" or "Osiris" from UT2003 would be cool...

What about teleporters with swooshy things like on Assault on UT2004? - They'd look sweet :)

PS: Excuse the dirty language in the above thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.