Points that shouldn't be overlooked.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
THE GOOD:

The movement is almost completely there, everything looks like it should and aesthetically, it rocks my socks.

I really like the vehicles. A matter of opinion this one, but I thought you got it spot on.

Energy rifle is secsky.

THE BAD

No trace on the sniper rifle bullets, so sniper rifle can't be traced back to the ranger who is camping somewhere.

Some scaling issues and weird jumping issues, for example, rangers don't jump as high and Sirocco is a bit too tall for the models.

While you were trying to capture both 2k4 and XMP, the whole feel is maybe a BIT too hectic and fast for XMP. Often find myself getting across the map very fast indeed.

HUD quite complicated. Hard to read.

Lots of beeping after one double jump, minor detail but annoying.

Having ticked 'Hide Weapons', it doesn't work. Weapon still shows up.

Bunnyhopping as a ranger or tech is flawed in that everytime you dodge, the screen shakes and it's as if the model has to pause before moving fully again.

Primary fire on shock lance doesn't do any damage to a rocket turret, may not to other turrets or objects.

Don't know when being shot, not enough feedback from weapons.

Menu for switching classes doesn't go away meaning that players can not switch weapons or switch seat in vehicles.

As tech can sometimes get denied his turret friends at the supply station.

No 'YOU HAVE AN ARTIFACT, YOU CRAZY' warning when you, indeed, have an artifact.

Forcewalls attach themselves to normal walls.

THE REALLY UGLY

The bloody pistol is shocking! What happened to keeping weapon balance all the same? Unless there was some kind of obstacle that kept the pistol from being a rapid-fire weapon, it is now, just, useless.

Gunner rockets are now at a nice speed, but you get nearly no warning of a lock on which is fatal now that the rockets are a lot more lethal. Weapon balance need to be returned to what they were: as near as perfection as possible.

When zooming with sniper rifle, if you use scroll to zoom (not in u2xmp) it changes its mind and switches to pistol, but stays zoomed in and can not change weapons.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
As far as the weapons balance, its based more off the original u2xmp than the 7710 patch. Its not perfect, but trust me, its gotten a lot better.

All very good points though.

Keasis

frequent eembotter
May 28, 2004
In the basement
headwire said:
THE GOOD:
THE REALLY UGLY

The bloody pistol is shocking! What happened to keeping weapon balance all the same? Unless there was some kind of obstacle that kept the pistol from being a rapid-fire weapon, it is now, just, useless.

:rant: :shake:

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
The weapon balance on the whole seems okay, but the pistol has quite definitely been nerfed. Tech weaponry seems to be fine and same for gunner - except the locking problem - though I could be wrong.

Mantling does seem like a problem too, yeah.

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
Without bias and with hand on heart I say: the pistol has been nerfed. Bombard me with your negative smileys all you like, it's true.

Splinter

rifk
Feb 29, 2004
Over there!
headwire said:

Damn right its usless now, please tell me this was a big bug and that u guys wernt just "Balancing" again... :mad:

Yukkoman

overCruel Ranger
Jul 11, 2004
Adding some mainly ranger/movment/vehicle/weap feedback

-First off, the sniper rifle shots seems to have quite a limited range now, as other weapons like the shotty still got very long range, this intended ? Also the sniper zoom have alot of times stayed in zoomed view then I changed into pistol, quite wierd.

-As headwire said, movement is good but have to add thats its a notiecable change in wall dodgeing, its there but in another form, you cant get as high anymore, but the range is there.. I think the pushout from dodgeing from a wall is ok horisontly, but its and removing to much verticaly previous speed you have after a wall dodge, aka removing the current velocity upwards replacing it with a getaway from wall pure only almost angle, this intended or can it be fixed ? as one cant get up on old spots where you could in u2xmp -example the tower top on cloud and other similar high jump places.

-Jumping in and out of windows are quite hard now, or needs to be trained on, didnt feel the movement throo quick getting in and out of windows, feels like the char either to big for the windows or its dont ducks enoth, aka in Rampant base

-The sniper is showing a trace but not for the one whos shooting, its just visible to others i think, and pistol bursts fires almost as fast as the pistol main shots, so thats not a rapid fire thing at all, this must be adressed, what happend to weap balance ?

-The ability to slide dodge against nature flaws are lowered alot as most old spot you could dodge into simply dont give vertical push for heights any more (works on most spots with atleast like 60% or more degree anyhow, just lowered and sometimes a removed ability..

-The smoke grenade effect is way to small of a cover now compared to u2xmp, have to up the area of effect for it to be of any real use.

-Automated reloading then ammo down ?

-The Juggernaut small turrent can shoot throo the tank itself, needs a limit of what degrees fire could go in that small turret somehow.

-The raptor turret view slowly turns clockwise while shooting, so after alot of shots you see it all upside down .D funny hehe

-Juggernaut/harbringer speeds ? huh lol turbo engines :D ?

More feedback to come as I play more

Last edited:

]HoC[Saoirse

Dec 10, 2004
Saoirse's bug check, some may have already been listed :)

1. Cannot switch weapons 1,2,3 due to class selection panel on the HUD. Have found no key that removes it.

2. After exiting a vehicle which continues over your body, you are unable to respawn and find yourself as a permanent spectator (not always, but a good few times).

3. After resupplying self with ammo, gunner still had no rockets to shoot.

4. Some dropped artifacts cannot be picked up again, after being gut-blowed.

5. Hacking green-thingy appears at a strange angle in first person.

Comments.

Initially impressed, nice work FMI :). Am seeing a small gunner advantage so far, now that the rockets are much faster. Would have liked to see the dodging less UT-like, especially after landing. The tech rifle looks like it's firing hundreds of sniper rounds at you, a bit strange. :)

Otherwise this has everything we needed. The maps look stunning.

sao

Last edited:

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
Another problem worth noting is that you can not duck while jumping, as Mr Yukkoman has mentioned, meaning that jumping out of windows on Rampant is near impossible.

[DOA]Kharn

My Spoon Is Too Big
Sep 20, 2004
Herts England
www.doaut.com
I had a bug last night where i placed both my rocket and my auto turret, and when i picked up my rocket turret, i could no longer get any of my weapons out! it would say i have my rocket turret selected and i could just see my hands at the bottom of the screen, clicking fire did nothing and it only worked again when someone killed me and i respawned.

Mantling sometimes works, but not well enough. There seems to be a technique to it to make it work.

Shotgun is nicer :D

Vehicles handle better, but still arent quite ut2k4 onslaught quality for steering etc, maybe this is supposed to be like that.

The tanks minigun turret is new?? I remember a flamethrower. Its pretty damn powerful too, and has a weird through-the-tank ability. I like the lack of crosshair though, as this evens out with the big damage it does. Not sure whether i like itt better or not.

the maps somehow seem smaller? Maybe im just moving faster now.

Will add more when i get a chance to play it more.

Slightly dissapointed overall, but i suppose i expected too much in the first place thinking it would be fairly easy to port (copy code/maps and scale as needed etc... obviously very wrong!)

LOOKING FORWARD TO PATCHES!

(all comparisons are made with u2 XMP original, which i lurved)

Yukkoman

overCruel Ranger
Jul 11, 2004
[DOA]Kharn said:
Mantling sometimes works, but not well enough. There seems to be a technique to it to make it work.

Yeah, definetly, regular liftings over edges is there but but It feels like the lift effect of it is to low, also needs a litle bigger push forward after the lift itself over an edge is done, also needs to be an included /duck effect in the overall precedure to be able to get into windows that you jump upto and trying to heave into.. Also if the surrounding is not a Horisontelly adjusted its almost impossible at all to get it to lift you up over the edge, example is the runways up to the cloud platform that got the 30-40 angle, or the front window at like Rampant base.

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
Just a note on the bunnyhopping of the ranger as well. Because bunnyhopping is now significantly flawed, Ranger is no longer the 'fast class'. I'm a ranger player and a bit of a crap fragger and am really only good for grabbing artifacts and running. Running is no longer an option as a ranger, because bunnyhopping doesn't lend any huge advantage due to dodging problems.

Another thing to notice is that even when it was 3 techs against 1 ranger in u2xmp, it was still possible for a ranger to come out on top. Now the movement reduces that and the weapon balance of the ranger.

As tech, as has been mentioned, can not switch from deployables to normal weapons again without binding a 'best weapon' key.

OnYx(DCSB)

Jolt Adm1n
Mar 15, 2004
headwire said:
Just a note on the bunnyhopping of the ranger as well. Because bunnyhopping is now significantly flawed, Ranger is no longer the 'fast class'. I'm a ranger player and a bit of a crap fragger and am really only good for grabbing artifacts and running. Running is no longer an option as a ranger, because bunnyhopping doesn't lend any huge advantage due to dodging problems.

Another thing to notice is that even when it was 3 techs against 1 ranger in u2xmp, it was still possible for a ranger to come out on top. Now the movement reduces that and the weapon balance of the ranger.

As tech, as has been mentioned, can not switch from deployables to normal weapons again without binding a 'best weapon' key.

Yea thats pretty spot on hdw. I found it really easy last night to take down some of the guys who were fast rangers from U2XMP when I was playing tech...
The likes of Gez, Asuka, Saiboat, Alex490, Hdw, guppy, Lipen etc etc could out manouvre many enemies in U2XMP... This seems not to be possible in the UT beta atm. The movement for all three classes is too samey, which wasent the case in U2.

Last edited:

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
Oh look! I have another thing to add.

The countdown to time limit running out doesn't happen. No 'one minute left' warning or countdown 'til the game ends. You can be approaching base with a tie-breaker artifact and the game will just end, and switch map without notice.

ewox

Dec 11, 2004
I'd very much like to have original u2xmp HUD (including crosshairs) maybe as an optional HUD. Not that its too hard to get used to the new location of healthbars and such but the current crosshairs are just plain hideous. I dont know anything about modding but I can imagine it wouldn't require that much work to import them.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
headwire said:
So wait, a ranger taking out 3 techs is supposed to be balanced?

It's not that I disagree with you on the movement, I never play ranger so I trust you on that, but 3 vs 1?

My comments:
At first it was a letdown because of all the bugs. But as I played I see a lot of the spirit of XMP in the mod. There's still work to be done, but overall, my hat goes off to FMI. Well done so far.

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
I indeed am glad that FMI have done this and made this mod and put in their efforts to it, don't get me wrong.

What I mean to say is, a good ranger against three average techs. Now it requires little skill to take out a ranger, which was what it always about for me, was that rangers were fast and maneouverable and could get out of tough situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.