point system for objectives

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
Assign a point value for each objective, then multiply those point by the
percentage of survivors, and that determines the winner.

Let's take something like cuban dawn: Each object (set in a variable such as
ObjValue) is worth 100 points (easy to multply the percentage). The
defenders manage to defend all of the equipment, but loose half of their team
(400*.5=200 points). The other team looses the storage radio, and the
cocain case, but 90% of the team lives (200*.9=180). The first team wins.

Now, that's how it would aply on an existing map. Now let's look at a
theoretical one. The eattackers have ten objectives to destroy in a raid, and
then extract: a simple hit and fade operation. Team A knocks out 6 of the
targets and then extracts and gets 90% of the team out alive. That's 540
points. Team B takes all of the objectives and 60% survive: 600 points. Team
B wins.

A way that the mapper could balance this so lives are more valuable than
than the objective or vice-versa is to stick a property in the objective.
ObjWeight, for example. The above example would use a weight of 1. A lower
weight would make lives more valuable.

The final calculation for how much each objective scores at the end would look something like this:
ObjValue - (ObjValue - (ObjValue * Survivers)) / ObjWeight.

With this, it is possible to have an objective where you can loose your entire
team and still get points, or it is possible to loose 1 man and make the obj
worth 0 or less. To keep destroying something from counting against you, a
simple check will set all negative numbers to zero. This check would be on by
default, but could be disabled at the mapper's disgretion.

I Call this FEAS, or Further Enhanced Assault :D

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
You're mixing your points for defensive and points for offensive all together... are you suggesting points go for achieving an objective or for defending one (or for both?).

From what I can read here, it seems to me that this would be a very good idea for maps where defensive tactics are predominant. I can think of that DS map with all the bunkers or London City Heist... In maps like RtK this would be not so a good idea i think.

----

On a similar not what could be interesting is to have a scoring system independent of the gametype (at least for EAS or for FEAS ;) ). What I suggest is to have a selection of scoring system or a scoring system template that the mappers could select. I don't know if that could be possible with the current engine, but a future one might offer this possibility. By letting more freedom on the scoring to the mapper, he could put more emphasis on specific objectives or achievements/milestones (like full completion or full survival, completion of objective X within Y minutes... etc.) . So instead of having a universal scoring method of EAS, it could be custumized by the mapper.

This could be incredibly powerfull and what you suggest could be implemented with such a method for maps following the pattern you describe. On the other hand, this would make the game even more complicated, give potentially more work to the mappers (eventhough they wouldn't have to use that feature) and would be quite difficult to "harmonize" with the objectives.

Turin_Turambar

Pls don´t shoot to the Asha´man
Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
Ok, i´m a bit pissed off.. :) just YESTERDAY i was writing in the notepad a future lengthy post to this forum, about my own ideas for Infiltration, all pure brainstorming. In fact, i finished it, but i wrote in my native language, spanish, and i still have to translate it to english.

One of the ideas that i wrote is something alike to this idea. The basic idea is:

The team with high score in the end of the round wins. There is 3 basic ways to modify the score of your team:
-killing an enemy - your team wins 1 point
-be killed (by enemy or TK) - your team loses 1 point
-reach a primary objetive, like invade tuscany´s villa for attackers, or end the round without the villa occupied by attackers for defenders - your team wins 4-5 points (it depends from number of objetives, the mapper should decide it)
-reach a secundary objetive - your team wins 1-3 points.

Note: The attackers team only begins to lose points by deaths when 25% of their team has died. Example: in a eight players team, if they end the round with only 3 soldiers alive (this is, 5 deaths), they have -3, instead of -5 (25% of 8 = 2).
This is because is more understandable to military headquarters and such to lose soldiers when the mission is to attack a defended position.

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
Points go for attackers and defenders, but only the winning point count (both teams
win via attacking, only their attacking points count). It wouldn't effect RTK much,
since you only have the one objective, and weighted at 1, the final score would be the
survival percentage.

For the most part, I'm not so concerned about how it affects existing maps, but how it
will open up new options for maps where you can have primary, secondary, etc. goals.

MP_Duke

Banned
May 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Again, please clear up your terminology...You're saying attackers and defenders, AND (both teams win via attacking, only their attacking points count). So it looks like you mean each team acquires points one round at a time (one round for Team A attacking, next round for Team B attacking) ???

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Demosthanese said:
Points go for attackers and defenders, but only the winning point count (both teams
win via attacking, only their attacking points count). It wouldn't effect RTK much,
since you only have the one objective, and weighted at 1, the final score would be the
survival percentage.

For the most part, I'm not so concerned about how it affects existing maps, but how it
will open up new options for maps where you can have primary, secondary, etc. goals.

I'm still lost by your explanation...

And about RtK, you sure know that BOTH team can capture the objective, don't you?

Apr 11, 2002
Dallas, TX
www.google.com
In EAS, it only counts the percentage of survival in the rounds you win. Likewise,
FEAS(working title :p ) should only count when the team wins the round. If a team
wins both rounds, they win, just like in EAS.

Yes, I know that both teams can take the objective in RTK, and in that respect, it
would give defenders even more incentive to take the CD. As it is now, they can sit
on the ridge and whore (snipe) all round and still win. Even worse, they can camp the
humvees and take the CD from the attackers right there.