Planning my New Gaming PC!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
I don't do it professionally yet, I do amateur photography and weddings but nothing that makes me enough to get the monitor setup of my dreams hehe. So far this new monitor is really working out well though, no dead spots, I'm going to borrow a calibration device soon and calibrate it. Gaming at the moment i'm limited to older games if I want to run at 2560x because of how much processing power it takes, but once I get things going on the new build, the resolution won't be an issue in any way.

I've been running at 1680x so no wonder I could run every modern day game at ultra graphic quality until now. :p

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
by the time you're done with putting your new system together even that 400$ case will be outdated :p

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
by the time you're done with putting your new system together even that 400$ case will be outdated :p

The way I see it, you're getting your money's worth if you go three generations (minimum) Between graphics cards updates, and 5-6 years between new motherboard CPUs, but that's only because requirements for newer software changes, is all.

Being outdated isn't an issue. Being obsolete, is.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV

Nothing's being bought/put together until DDR4 is out, so nothing will be out of date.

And what vaskadar is saying is exactly what I'm trying to work out. I don't mind if some things are outdated, as long as they're upgradeable and not obsolete. Currently my motherboard is 'obsolete' because DDR2 is obsolete, so upgrade-ability of my current system is at a wall. Had I used DDR3, I would have had an extra couple of years still before I needed to build a new system, but I went with the DDR2 at the time... I won't make that same mistake again by grabbing DDR3 before it phases out.

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
The way I see it, you're getting your money's worth if you go three generations (minimum) Between graphics cards updates, and 5-6 years between new motherboard CPUs, but that's only because requirements for newer software changes, is all.

Being outdated isn't an issue. Being obsolete, is.

that's not what I meant ;)

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I waited until USB 3.0 and PCI 3.0 to build mine. I at least want to be able to interface with various newer GPUs and devices.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
that's not what I meant ;)

Don't worry Balton, I'll only invest in the computer case, PSU, and water radiators/pumps for the moment. Not going to purchase the actual hardware until DDR4 comes out (probably wait a month or two too).

Also, got that Asus 27" PLS monitor. This thing is gorgeous. You have to consider I upgraded from an old 21.5" samsung syncmaster 60Hz 1680x screen with the worst color and contrast I've ever seen in a monitor. White was grey, the brightness blew. Now I can actually see stuff, and the fact that it easily swivels into a 90degree position, I can work on portrait and landscape photos equally!

Last edited: