Peamole the Penguin model?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
Apology accepted.

Just to give some perspective on what a complete custom model entails, its about a weeks worth of work from start to finish for a really good product. Like 40 hours type week, sometimes less, sometimes more. Your penguin, probably about 25-30 I'd estimate. Thats about $500-$600 at entry level modeler salary in the industry. 'Course most of us here are still "non pro" and so we do these things to improve our portfolios, skills, and reputations among the fanbase. I just figure most people don't realize that when they ask for a custom model because its cool, they are basically asking for a $500+ favor.

So enjoy your stay here at the BUF, and be carefull when posting while drunk.

Jun 28, 2005
Jamaica, mon! Hahaha!
Wow, I just thaught it was a hobby, working for UT and making skins like IRC.. Now I understand. Do you people also get paid for making maps, because (I can make a realy good map for about 100 bucks. LoL)

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
Well doing what is done here is just a hobby, but the skills are very marketable, hence my numbers drop.
here have a look at the average salaries for artists/animators in the industry as of april. Caution, its a large image...
http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/gamedeveloper/sample/?pg=17

Making maps, skins, models, and other things for existing games is a hobby, but the process is very much a business. Many studios have licensed the unreal engine to build their games on, and if you already know the tools and can show that you do, then that is one more advantage you have over another person for a certain position.

Personally I'm negotiating an animation contract with a studio in southern california right now. While its not an unreal engine gig, the skills and process are the same for doing what they want, as for doing a model for UT. Just different final steps.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Hey Peamole, I got your mail but later lost it (long story)... I know you asked me about this model and if I could help... Problem is I have no experience developing anything for UT. I only came along very late in the day for 2k3 and wouldn't have an inkling as to how to even skin for UT, nevermind get a model into it.

Right now I'm just up to my eyes in 2k4 projects and even 2k7 ones (and it's not even out)... I'm sure another modeller with more experience will help you out though. You'll just need patience and to advertise the request wherever you can. I've seen requests here done after two years sometimes but they do get done :D

Sorry I can't personally be of more help to you. Thank you for asking though and good luck with the request :2thumb: PS the email address you sent to is not my current email address. I haven't used that other one in yonks ;)

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
klasnic said:
I've seen requests here done after two years sometimes but they do get done :D

The fastest way is doing yourself *gg*
but ok, modeling is a little bit trickier (I suppose) than skinning

Anyway, good luck from me 2

Jun 28, 2005
Jamaica, mon! Hahaha!
Wow, I sent an email to you both? :lol: That's cool. When I'm drunk, I must be doing sonthing right because I don't remenber a thing.
Maby I wasn't drunk, just gone because all I remember is a long trip to the beach and that special someone, (that has been saing no to me asking her out), smothering me with "mouth 2 mouth" all afternoon. But I must have driven to the beach... Oh yeah, my 33rd birthday party July 4th! :D Independence Day, the 5 car convoy, snack shack, and the fireworks, it's all coming back. :)

Last edited:

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
Drunken_Peamole said:
Hello, is anyone awake in this strange forum place? Heh? Heh? I mean, It's been at least a munth or two...... HELLOooooooooo?? :lol:

It hasn't even been one month :rolleyes: :lol:

UTGirl

Link(gun) Lady
Drunken_Peamole said:
Wow, I sent an email to you both? :lol: That's cool. When I'm drunk, I must be doing sonthing right because I don't remenber a thing.
looking @ your posts you seem to be drunk very often :hmm:

Drunken_Peamole said:
Hello, is anyone awake in this strange forum place? Heh? Heh? I mean, It's been at least a munth or two...... HELLOooooooooo?? :lol:
The key is patience, some requests have been made minutes after requestion, some were delayed for years and some were never made.
That`s the way it goes ;)

Last edited: