Patching problems/ECE bonus pack problems..

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Albatross125

Dec 12, 2010
Hello :)

I just re-installed UT2004, it's been a while and I miss it! It works fine of course, but of course I want to enjoy the game further by downloading new maps, content, vehicles, skins, etc.

Now, I went on the essential files section of the website, and they told me to download the Editors choice bonus pack, followed by the windows patch 3369, perfect, let me do that!

After I download it, it tells me to open with, and I browse for the ut2004.exe icon. It tells me to insert the play disk, which I proceed to do. And then I get an error saying...

Critical Error

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2416 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series (6925)

Failed to enter D:\UT2004\ut2004-ECEBonusPack1-1: Can't find file 'D:\UT2004\ut2004-ECEBonusPack1-1'

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

I don't remember ever having these problems downloading patches, maps or anything, from the other times Iv'e installed ut2004 on my pc. Can someone please help =\

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
It might be one of the fundamental utmod installer problems; no file association with the setup program.

According to the file type ut4mod, you want to pass the ut4mod file to setup.exe (in D:\UT2004\System on your system). While in the Open with dialog box, put a checkmark next to always opening this type of file with that setup file. If you associate wrong, hold down shift while right-clicking the ut4mod file next time, and open with should appear.

Albatross125

Dec 12, 2010
Still didn't work. I even put the play disc in just for the hell of it. :/

UT2004 Setup Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 2408 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: No Video

Setup: Unknown disposition

History: USetupDefinition::Init <- WFilerWizard::WFilerWizard <- Setup

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Just make sure you point to the place on your HD where UT2004 was installed. Under Folder Options/File Types, highlight UT4MOD and it should say opens with Setup. Hit "advanced", highlight "open" and hit "edit". Then just make sure under Application Used To Perform Action it says something likes this:
"D:\Action\Unreal Anthology\UnrealTournament\System\Setup.exe" install "%1"

Not sure why mine points to UT and not UT2004, but it just does for some odd reason. I'm sure yours should have UT2004 in there and not UnrealTournament. Also, I have UT2004 (Unreal Anthology version) installed on the D: partition on my hard drive, so you'll probably be pointing to C:. That's all I know, so good luck.:)

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
My mistake.
I didn't take a closer look at the file association entry in Folder Options | File Types.
(It requires the install switch passed to setup.exe followed by the file name.)

Move the file_name.ut4mod file to:
D:\UT2004\System

Start menu | Run...
D:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe install "file_name.ut4mod"

Delete the file_name.ut4mod file after the installation has completed (the content has been extracted from it).

The file association can be fixed manually, though.
Start: Windows Explorer
Select: Tools
Select: Folder Options

Select: File Types
Select: New

Type: UT4MOD
Select: OK

Select: UT4MOD
Select: Advanced

Type: UT2004 Module
Select: Change Icon...

Select: Browse...
Select: D:\UT2004\Help\Unreal.ico
Select: OK

Select: New

Field: Action
Type: &Install this UT2004 module
Field: Application used to perform action
Type: D:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe install "%1"
Check: Use DDE
(Shows more fields.)
Field: Application
Type: Setup
Field: Topic
Type: System

OK away.

Last edited:

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
hehe I can get the error "Setup: Unknown disposition" as many times as I want; I just have to pass wrongful information to setup.exe.

Still, might be something wrong with setup, anything is possible.
Does setup.exe even run?
Run it from D:\UT2004\System\setup.exe (to see if it starts).

OK, what is the file name of the ECE pack you have downloaded, and where is it located?

What is the file name of the patch you have downloaded, and where is it located?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Also, is you game installed on the C: drive or D: drive? When this thread first started it seemed like the MOD was possibly looking for a file on the D: drive (possibly being the CD-ROM type drive). Also, isn't there a non-umod version of the ECE pack?

Albatross125

Dec 12, 2010
When I run setup.exe it just tells me "Are you sure you want to remove these components?" With the ut2004 checked...
The name of the file is on this site, I downloaded it from the mirror on filefront.com...

http://download.beyondunreal.com/fileworks.php/official/ut2004/ut2004-ecebonuspack1-1.exe

I actually have my own seperated drive for all my games, and it is my D: drive. And about the non-umod version, I have no idea. Like I never encountered any of these problems for the other times I installed the game to my pc. I don't get it =\
and the patch 3369 from the same place.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
That means it's working; nothing else is installed yet, thus nothing else to uninstall but UT2004.

Get the MegaPack instead--it includes the latest patch, ECE, and some other maps. It's an .exe file. Run it, let it unpack, and the installer should appear.

You could probably unzip it, using 7-zip you can right-click any self-extracting archive and choose to unpack to whatever folder. Not sure if it's a simple matter of overwriting files, though.

Albatross125

Dec 12, 2010
Why is it that these files are all "File" files. They aren't folders or unzippable objects. I don't get it :( What is going wrong? Why would I need to "browse for file" for this kind of file? I never had to go through this before! This is ridiculous :( They aren't in zipped folders or anything that I can actually use. =\ Or know how to use for that matter...