Overclocking My CPU is a Waste of Time?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Have you tried decreasing the clock multiplier ? The data path imposes a bottleneck when you increase cpu speed. You shouldn't expect huge differences in terms of graphics acceleration though.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Try the Winrar or 7zip built-in benchmarks instead, to see if there's any difference.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
[Snarf];2146458 said:
I will try changing the multiplier though.

If you have access to the multiplier (some cpus are locked) the usual way to do things is to put it as high as you can while leaving the cpu at stock speed so the system remains stable. 3DMark could do for stability testing but there are better programs out there to push a machine. Then try increasing the cpu frequency by increments. You could also increase the ram frequency but this will mess with synchronisation. Make sure your HSF is up to the task. If the temperature is going beyond 65-70°C it's definitely pushing things too far.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
It's odd that the FSB and RAM frequencies have changed. What were they previously and were you intentionaly aiming for 3600 MHz when changing BIOS settings ? Normally the multiplier determines the CPU frequency by taking an input frequency from the motherboard. PCI MHz might change but not the FSB unless you've put that up a notch or two manually.

Last edited:

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
By overclocking my e8400 from 3ghz to 4ghz I got about 10 more fps in Crysis, when I played in 1280x1024 that is. Now that I got a 1920x1080 monitor the difference is kinda small, though still about 5 more fps I'd say. That's with a 8800 GTS 512, factory overclocked. And I was playing Crysis with "High" settings.

To test the stability of your CPU, use Intel Burn Test, it's simply the best there is, it stresses the CPU and the ram much more than all the other competing softwares. You'll also get to see what is truly the maximum temp your CPU will ever reach. And yet it only takes about 10-15mins.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-v2.3-download-2047.html

Edit : you shouldn't have any trouble getting a 100% stable overclock btw, look at what I've done with a CHEAP mobo and no messing around with the voltages :
http://i.imgur.com/wqo72.png

Last edited:

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
It's not really hot, Intel states that the maximum temperature is 72° http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx
A mate of mine also had a similar CPU running at about 100°c for one year (!) and it's perfectly fine and stable. I wouldn't get past 70 though, just to be perfectly safe.

Not only that plus there isn't any game that will push your CPU as much as Intel Burn Test. As a matter of fact, I can't get past 55° with my CPU at 100% under any other circumstances (including other benchmarks), Intel Burn Test is THAT heavy. Also the temperature hits 67 only for like half a second.
I'm using a Noctua nh-u12p.

Other CPU-Z tabs :
LcrHr.png

jLygu.png

CYIEL.png