1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by GreatEmerald, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

Lots of people have a 64 bit CPU and don't really even realize it, because their computer came with a 32 bit OS installed.

Notice though, that like 25% of Vista users are running x64, compared with a very tiny percentage of XP users (because XP 64 wasn't exactly made widely available, whereas it's included in the box with some editions of Vista)

2. TheIronKnuckle

TheIronKnuckle What the hell is this "ballin" thing?

That probably explains why it says amd64 athlon X 2 on my comp but whenever i try to use the ut2004 64 bit installer it doesn't work :p

3. oldkawman

oldkawman Master of Your Disaster

Yea, unless your computer is 5 years old or older, you likely have a 64 bit cpu in it. The last 32 bit AMD CPU were the socket A, athlon XP type. While the last 32 bit intel cpu was the socket 478 P4. So, odds are that most folks have a 64 bit cpu inside that magic box they have as pretty much everything made since 2003 has been 64 bit.

Now seeing that windoze 7 has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions, it may be several more years before 64 bit becomes the norm. I guess we will have to wait for windoze 9 for that.

4. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Correct! :p

5. WHIPperSNAPper

WHIPperSNAPper New Member

Any update on UT3 for Linux?

6. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Nope. Phoronix still has no info on that. It only has an interesting fact that a new X server is out, with no ATI driver support whatsoever...

7. oldkawman

Well, it's getting pretty obvious that the Linux port will not be part of the expansion at all. No mention in the titan pack, no beta installer, or anything. That is such a shame and a big disappointment to many folks. Hopefully, one day will see some leakage of info that tells the true tale of how and why this happened.

Now I am starting to wonder if the Linux server will be able to have 2.0 clients join.

8. Raynor.Z

Raynor.Z Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus

Indeed, we've already seen screenshots that were supposed to be from Linux and Mac versions and considering there's no update for a long time it really feels bad. I understand that there is (was?) basically only one person working on it, but any kind of progress info would be nice.

9. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

Aaaand, news!

-- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzEyMg

10. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

I'm sure everyone saw the news post on BU, so I'm not going to repeat it, but Phoronix confirmed that and also shows that there are a lot of people who actually want a Linux client:
    -- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzEzOQ

11. oldkawman

[ut3] Still on its way

Ryan chimed in on the Linux UT3 mailing list yesterday. He said it's still in the debugging stage. Here is what he wrote;
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryan C. Gordon to ut3 - yesterday
    [ut3] Still on its way... ...since I imagine that the notice of mailing list software change will spark a (well deserved) round of complaints--after all, I have been largely absent from this list despite the cries for updates--I just wanted to drop a note and say that the UT3 linux and mac work is still ongoing. Largely we're just optimizing and fixing annoying bugs at the moment.
    No release date at the moment. Yes, I know we're already 16 months late. I'm sorry, we'll get you the game as soon as we can.
    Thanks for your eternal patience,
    --ryan.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

12. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

13. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

14. SimplyCosmic

SimplyCosmic ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.

From the retail side of things, 64-bit really is starting to take over. I'd say most of the desktops I'm setting up for my clients are 64-bit, with the exception of sub-$400 "entry-level" Emachines and Acer desktops.

The manufacturers started to make 64-bit available only due to memory address limit of 32-bit operating systems. Adding memory isn't quite as expensive as it used to be, so putting 4, 6 or 8GB in your system so it looks better on the bullet point listing comparisons is a quick way to get someone to buy your $800 desktop.

That said, they haven't really done much to educate the public about the difference between 32 and 64-bit Windows, and I would say the vast majority of new computer owners who have 64-bit Vista don't know it until they run into an older 32-bit program or hardware driver issue.

15. Alhanalem

Alhanalem Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop

16. Fuzz

Fuzz Enigma

40 years later there's no satisfactory Unix based replacement for Windows... (If you want to be more fair, Windows 1.0 released 24 years ago.)

17. oldkawman

And by 1994, fourteen years ago, it almost worked as Win 3.0. Most programs still required a special MSDOS boot. All real games did. OMG it uses more than 640Kb ram! All CAD, CAM, and many other system intensive programs did as well as games like Wing Commander.

To be fair, I ran AutoCAD on UNIX workstations with optical mice back in 1990 in school. I think that program was UNIX and MSDOS only until 1995-96 or even later. Talk about a slow start!

Right, Linux OS still requires a more computer skill than most folks have. Which is why growth is slow. Just waiting for that breakthrough that sets some standards, and then some more standards, and on. The first step seems pretty far away.

I guess mentioning apple or mac and OSX, which is unix based, would be pretty silly as well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  18. Riz

Riz New Member

any news on UT3 native client? i heard about wine being able to run it, but if its anything like Team Fortress 2 on wine, i rather stick to dual boot :rolleyes:

19. GreatEmerald

GreatEmerald Khnumhotep

20. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

There are several people who reported that Cedega runs it really well.