'Nother request! (to any good mapper)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Ok, i after recently d/l a really cool forest map, it gave me a idea. You dont see many forest maps anymore, not real forest maps. Not they way this one was, it was all trees and some stumps, and some bushes. I mean it was a real forest, not many open areas, all around you were tall trees. Now, i thought heres a cool idea, what about a Battle of the Bulge map (from WW2)? It would be forest combined with clear areas, all in the snow! This would make for a really cool map if done right. I dont know as much on the Battle of the Bulge as i do on Omaha, so i wont bother you that much with small details ;). But i just thought this would be a really fun map.

btw, it would be best if the mapper who did it knew how to make good snow. I heard that its kinda hard to make it look like its snowing or raining in UT.

I dont know if it'll help, but heres just an idea, its art of the Bulge.

bulge.jpg

and heres a real photo

sledD18.jpg

nother

bulge.jpg

thats all.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Great map idea, but honestly I dont think unreal could handle it. If you made the trees brushes, you'd have a 1000 poly count that would melt most computers. If you used deco trees, you'd still have major cpu slowdown. If you mixed decos with brushes, you'd still have a small forest, with many limitations. You'd need to use mountainous terrain to block off a lot of areas, and restrict players to low ground. I think this is the biggest reason you don't see many forest maps. And the ones you do see are hardly convincing. Forests are just not unreal's cup of tea. Unreal is best with indoor dark maps. That's why deus ex takes place at night ;) If somebody could make a nice forest with unreal, I'd be amazed.
Jaymian

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
youd need to do a ****load of cheating.
I feel its possible. but that opinion dosent count for much considering my troubles with ued, lol.

you can either make a large forest with few models thats walkable "all over", or make a patch of forest thats convincingly real and looks open, but small the the sq feet (like that ah map, rorkes drift)

attack it head on by building a full forrest, and ut will choke.

Spooge

Digital Content Creator
Jul 9, 2000
TN -USA
www.planetunreal.com
Yeah... although Islingtons snow system would look and work great, I too think that this type of map has been tried and failed due to Unreal's current limitations. If anyone could pull it off I would have to say that AH is the man. I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. ;)

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Coded, maybe, but I hear distance fog just isn't in unreal. Very cheesy, cuz distance fog is like easy to do(so I hear). Funny how AH is the only man for the job. Honestly, I don't think anybody can make a forest with unreal, keeping to realism. With several compromises, it could be done. Or you'd have to practically rewrite unreal, but let's just wait for unreal2 for that.
Jaymian

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
I could probably do it, even though it might be kinda small (10000 by 10000) It could be done by using a low hilly terrain brush from TerraEd, with a few modifications for taller hills.