Not my Models....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Monday..

--------
Apr 3, 2005
Hi,

I am making a MOD for UT and want to use certain spider models with it as they will be perfect.

I e-mailed the model makers 7 days ago (eightleggedfreaks Team) asking to use them (giving them credit etc... for use), and have received no reply.Their read-me states I have to gain permission from them.

Is it possible that I use them and credit the makers or is that totally wrong?

I understand there is a conduct code redarding not being able to contact authors and using their "product".......which is basically just crediting them.

Please can someone confirm the conduct code above as I would not like to annoy them.

Ah, I am not going to change the models in anyway, just add them.

Monday

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
Its better to ask original authors if you can use their works !

anyway , there is some spiders models already exists ( spinners ) see in 7bullets , Xidia and ONP ( i think they come from Return to Napali , but im not sure )

Monday..

--------
Apr 3, 2005
Spiders MOD

Thanks Neo and Nah, i'll look at them but try the eightleggedfreaks Team spiders as they are great spooky/scary things..

d/l the MOD at polycount.com ..um....in the UT models section.

btw..... is there a spider Mod for UT2004?

Last edited:

Justin Thyme

Business Philosopher
Mar 29, 2005
tremor.quakedev.com
How long ago was the last update to their website? If it's been over a year, chances are the project has died. And if it was just an email in a readme, it could be an outdated email address.

In my experience in the Quake community, if the project is old (over a year without an update), and you did try contacting them without response, I would go ahead and use it, but make sure you credit them as author. Worst case scenario is they pop out of the woodwork and ask you to stop using their models.

We have to keep in mind that the mod community for this game was "hot" about 5 years ago, and most people who were actively modding then have moved on.

But I'm new to the UT community, so perhaps they have a different view. I just feel the above approach is common sense.

Lord_Darkness

Lord of Darkness
Jul 29, 2004
Brazil
www.moddb.com
I agree with Justin... that's exactly what I think. You should use whatever you want on your mod, providing you don't say "I've done the models", you know... I don't even think you should credit the author, lol...

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Hmmm...

Like it was said above, many of the modders and modelers and mappers and such have long since moved on to other projects, newwer versions, and different games. I too have tried contacting several mappers and modders concerning usage of their material just to get no answer back ever. Indeed most now have different email accounts and such so it would be nearly impossible to reach them. I think you should try to contact the author of whatever the work is that you are trying to use. If you get him, ask him what you need to ask and take that answer as good to go. If he says sure than do it. If he says no, then don't do it. If he doesn't reply, try again. If he still doesn't reply, use his work to your hearts content SO LONG AS YOU GIVE CREDIT TO HIM in your readme file. Hell, I would even insert a note mentioning that you tried to contact him at : HIS_BAD_EMAIL_ADDRESS@WHATEVER.COM and date it too. If they do come out of nowhere and ask you to stop using their work then do exactly that. Stop using it.

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
These models are available for download at in the UT section http://www.planetquake.com/polycount

Link is supplied by PlanetUnreal. I dont imagine that they'd submit the models to this site unless they meant they could be used by others.

You could always contact the webmaster and see *IF* they were submitted and if the guys gave permission for free use..

cheers

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Asgard said:
These models are available for download at in the UT section http://www.planetquake.com/polycount

Link is supplied by PlanetUnreal. I dont imagine that they'd submit the models to this site unless they meant they could be used by others.

You could always contact the webmaster and see *IF* they were submitted and if the guys gave permission for free use..

cheers

... people submit to that site for other people to use those models in a game during play. They don't make it for any person to use in their personal MOD's. That said, no matter how much time has passed on, i'd be somewhat surprised (to say the least), to see some of my work being used on other's work without my permission or even knowledge. If you cannot contact the original author, then you should not use the content "just because the guy can't be reached". Forget about it, then. It's painful, i'm sure, but nothing (nothing) gives someone the right to "rip" other person's hard work - unless there was a very explicit 'license' agreement along with the released work. That's my POV on the subject...

Justin Thyme

Business Philosopher
Mar 29, 2005
tremor.quakedev.com
Nahand said:
... That said, no matter how much time has passed on, i'd be somewhat surprised (to say the least), to see some of my work being used on other's work without my permission or even knowledge. If you cannot contact the original author, then you should not use the content "just because the guy can't be reached". Forget about it, then. It's painful, i'm sure, but nothing (nothing) gives someone the right to "rip" other person's hard work - unless there was a very explicit 'license' agreement along with the released work. That's my POV on the subject...

I understand your perspective on that, but that's why my methodology is to ensure proper credit is given. If you are talking about UT99 or Q1, if you can't reach the original author, chances are they are completely out of the scene, and wouldn't even know about it (IMPORTANT!!! I'm not implying the "it's all fair if you don't get caught", just pointing out that hurt feelings are not likely to occur).

The other point that may have been glanced over, is thoroughly read any documentation included with the content, as it may specify conditions of use. But my guess is that any content uploaded to a general content site, as opposed to being included within a mod, is probably safely assumed to be GPL unless otherwise noted.

Similar to your logic, if there WAS NOT some type of specific license agreement included with the released individual material (again, as opposed to part of a large conglomerate contained in a mod), I would personally conclude the author does not care how it's used. If they had such concerns, they would have stipulated them upon release.

As a note, I would disagree with your classification of this method as "rip"ping off the others work, as long as the original author is credited. I would say it's ripping them off if you use it and claim it as your own work. Two entirely seperate things.

But I do understand your perspective. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer on this one....probably as many answers as people who answer it. ;)