[NEWS] GGL V-Sports All-Stars Event will feature UT2007 beta

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
This is pretty major news regarding UT2007, and what Epic may be showing at E3. Seeing as this appears to indicate that there'll be a fully playable beta at the event, we could be seeing a hell of a lot more of the game than we thought.

Also, it's well worth noting that Epic are co-sponsoring the event...

Full Story

GGL Press Release said:
The best video gaming players in the world will converge on E3 starting May 10 for GGL's second annual V-Sports All-Star Tournament - and, once again, you will select the competitors.

A community-wide celebration of the world's best gamers that breaks the boundaries of league, nationality and sponsor affiliation, the V-Sports All-Stars honors the best-of-the-best in competitive video gaming by pitting them directly against each other. No prelims, no loser brackets - it's a winner-take-all shootout.

Beginning today, you can select your favorite players from each continent in each of three disciplines - Warcraft 3 1v1, Quake 4 1v1 and Counter-Strike - to compete in the May 10-12 tournament at the Los Angeles Convention Center. At stake: $25,000 in total prizes.

BONUS! GGL will also sponsor a sneak-preview, hands-on demo of UT2007 as part of the tournament, matching up some of UT2004's best players on the beta version of the new game.

GGL's V-Sports All-Stars is sponsored by NVIDIA, Intel, Ziff Davis and Epic Games.

Voting will end at 5 p.m. on Friday, April 21. You may vote only once for your favorite players.

Saverous

Mar 29, 2006
cool. can't wait to see what else Epic's got for us in E3. How about big HQ brains-crashing gameplay movie?

Apr 11, 2006
I hope the fact that they're matching up "UT2004's best players" doesn't mean that they're expecting UT2004's skillset to translate 1:1 over to UT2007.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hello! News posted :)
Wall of Suicide said:
I hope the fact that they're matching up "UT2004's best players" doesn't mean that they're expecting UT2004's skillset to translate 1:1 over to UT2007.
I doubt it. They've done this similar sort of thing with UT2003 and UT2004 before they came out. They do it to show the game off and get people excited by having people in the community who have actually played and enjoyed the game. It really makes me wonder if they are further along in development than they have let on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Wail of Suicide said:
I hope so too.

Because if they're gonna give suggestions, it better be after hours of play, or else you're gonna have "improvements" based on first time play experience, for example if you came ut99 and then beta tested 2k4, you might have said rockets were overpowered, when in fact you couldn't tackle it properly and didn't develop the movement skills.

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Just hoping any video footage isnt shaky or unfocused.

I'd like to see how some of the maps flow, or have a good look at the powerups.

Its great that they're getting decent players to run through the beta, because in previous movies all we've seen is a bunnyhopping random spamming rox/driving the goliath.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
FLuTe_ said:
Just hoping any video footage isnt shaky or unfocused.

I'd like to see how some of the maps flow, or have a good look at the powerups.

Its great that they're getting decent players to run through the beta, because in previous movies all we've seen is a bunnyhopping random spamming rox/driving the goliath.
They should release a frag-movie-ish styled trailer, with footage from the event. :)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
That's absopositively the worst kind of news for UT's future. I'm afraid we'll see tons of "it suxxors cuz they forgot <insert feature from Quake>" or "Epic dropped the ball because they did <insert random comment about how it still doesn't play like UT'99 or how it's all about graphics and that they couldn't downgrade it to play in neon-glow at 120 fps>" ... and all these after what probably won't be more than a few hours of playtime with the BETA. I'm sure many of those people won't even know what a beta is ...

The only positive part is that they probably are at least confident enough to show the game for real.

Apr 11, 2006
JaFO said:
That's absopositively the worst kind of news for UT's future. I'm afraid we'll see tons of "it suxxors cuz they forgot <insert feature from Quake>" or "Epic dropped the ball because they did <insert random comment about how it still doesn't play like UT'99 or how it's all about graphics and that they couldn't downgrade it to play in neon-glow at 120 fps>" ... and all these after what probably won't be more than a few hours of playtime with the BETA. I'm sure many of those people won't even know what a beta is ...

The only positive part is that they probably are at least confident enough to show the game for real.

I sincerely doubt you are going to hear that type of comment from top level gamers. I'm sure they realize that their comments are important and, as such, we will not hear anything except basic platitudes if they don't care for the game. Such things as: "Wow, what a great experience!" "Big kudos to Epic for letting us play the game!" "It plays great, I look forward to it coming out!" etc.

Think how bad that would reflect on any of those guys, if they got invited to play a game and then went and badmouthed it. It's totally unprofessional and you can bet that no other gaming companies would invite such a person to play their games ever again.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Perhaps there's a few that have the professional attitude required.
I seriously doubt that since the majority is merely a wannabe-pro ...

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
JaFO - Pessemism 'R' Us

JaFO said:
Perhaps there's a few that have the professional attitude required.
I seriously doubt that since the majority is merely a wannabe-pro ...

The people who are likely to get invited to attend are going to ba a handful of the very best UT players in the world. So I doubt any of them will be wannabes. This is Epic here, they're not going to invite bad-mouthing morons who'll rant about the game - good or bad.

TraCK

Amateur Sketch
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas City
So are we talking those kick ass German players or just the American ones.

I'm really glad that they're getting some good players for the event also, bunny hopping noobs 4tl.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Would be a higher proportion of European plater's if it was an accurate thing...

TraCK said:
So are we talking those kick ass German players or just the American ones.

I'd be very suprised - and worried - if it was just American players. Probably a split between the best NA and EU guys, plus anyone else who's good enough (evenflow etc.).

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Still ... I think it is a very bad idea to let anyone except the developers play and test the game until it is done and ready to be released. Pretty much anything they could complain about can be fixed with mods & third party maps. And there's no way they have any idea what is good for the majority of the consumers (ie : the casual / non-fanatic gamers)