Needs help building a PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unreal_Boy

Mar 23, 2008
hi guys, I want 2 build a powerful gaming PC that can handle UT3 at max settings with solid 60 frames per second, my wallet can afford up to 4000$, I need to know the (CPU,GPU....etc) names and models and any modifications that can add more performance, I'll go with the ones that most of you recommend, thanks in advance.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I got an E6850, 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM, a mobo, and an 8800GT for less than $800. This setup does 100+ FPS in many UT3 maps at 1680x1050 at max detail. There's some newer stuff out now that would perform even better for the same price.

Unreal_Boy

Mar 23, 2008
I got an E6850, 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM, a mobo, and an 8800GT for less than $800. This setup does 100+ FPS in many UT3 maps at 1680x1050 at max detail. There's some newer stuff out now that would perform even better for the same price.

can u state those items more precisely? I mean which 1 is CPU or GPU and which company made it so i can look 4 it instead of giving the retail guy a bunch of code which will make me look like an idiot:lol:

Unreal_Boy

Mar 23, 2008
I don't think 800$ will be enough coz I want 2 get a decent screen which I suppose will cost alot.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Funny conversation.

You have to do some digging of your own. There must be a store where you can get that computer without spending a fortune. A big screen can be fun but why not sit a little closer and save yourself a lot of money?

It's always smarter to buy a cheap computer than an overpriced one. All computers get old relatively fast anyway.

I could go for a GF8800GT 512MB graphics card, an Intel C2D processor, 2 GB ram and a Soundblaster X-Fi would suffice, but I would probably wait a while for prices to go down further. By the way, just don't go to Dell, Compaq, HP or Apple. Of course you need a hard drive and a PCIe x2 motherboard too, as well as a keyboard, a mouse, you get the picture, with a monitor that is.

The new GF9600 could have some hardware issues involving the chip reduction and higher frequencies. Time will tell.

Unreal_Boy

Mar 23, 2008
since I don't know much about hardware, I think going to a store will get me ripped off, and since you guys know the game well and how much of hardware it needs, it's better to take your advice.

Lopar-XL

Currently trying to mend my mind, etc.
Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
Here's what I have. With my system's specs, UT3 runs like liquified butter on silk even with a screen full of combatants fighting each other and graphic and sound details cranked to the max.

Manufacturer: Vision Computers, Inc.
Model: Proton 6060 (Atlanta)
Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board DP35DP
Case: mid-size ATX
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6850 (3.0GHz)
RAM: 2 gigs dual channel DDR2 (800MHz, 2x1Gb sticks)
Hard Disk: 320Gb SATA II 7,200RPM NCQ
Optical Drive: Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Audio: Onboard audio
Graphics Card: PNY Verto nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS w/640M RAM, PCIe
Power Supply: Sparkle Power 650W ATX