Need info on ogg encoding...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Caravaggio

Custom User Text goes here.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
So I think I'd like to try using the ogg format to compress the music I buy for my computer after using mp3s, of course, for a few years now. I've been using CDex to read/write the files because of it's decent lame encoder and cddb capability, but the last version of it was 1.5 which was released nearly a year ago, so now I've got two questions;

1. Does the actual encoding structure of ogg's go through different versions or are the newest 1.1 files listed on www.vorbis.com just for developers? I ask because the option for the ogg encoder in CDex makes note of the fact that the encoder used is from 2002.

Of course if the actual ogg code never changes then I can just use that and you can ignore #2...

2. If it's not possible to replace the .dll's for CDex's encoder, can anyone recommend an encoder that's recent and has an option for cddb?

Any help appreciated. :)

Caravaggio

Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
Thnx, but after a few more hours of searching I think I found what I was looking for.
http://quinnware.com/list_plugins.php?type=encoder
It's an entirely new player but I can use it to get CDDB info and encode to Vorbis with the plug in. I've stopped worrying about the codec version but it does mention it's using VorbisLib v1.0.1.

Unfortunately I'm not hearing much of a difference, I think I'll need to get to best buy and invest in something more than 7 dollar headphones.

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
lossy compression? Ogg Vorbis is good, but FLAC has a bigger e-penis.
AAC lossless, and even WMA lossless kick ass. Die mp3...die

Caravaggio

Oct 2, 2002
US
Visit site
ZenPirate said:
AAC lossless, and even WMA lossless kick ass. Die mp3...die
AAC is lossless? Is that true? I admit I haven't messed with them except with my free pepsi songs.
ZenPirate said:
The "Free Lossless Audio Codec" is bigger? I wonder why.
ph34r.gif

Really if I wanted Lossless, I think I'd just stick to CD's. :)

Last edited:

Onsop

nothing
Jun 26, 2004
NY, USA
i remember hearing ogg for the first time on a ut2k3 sever, i was like wtf, am i actually hearing this? a game server gave me this?