need help skinning and modeling.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

coldrain

May 30, 2005
Hello

im new at modeling and skinning i need advice on what programs would be best. :sniper:

cole_bie

^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^
Jun 29, 2004
3ds max or maya for modeling. Use the search button next time, this question has been answered a million times. Oh yeah and maya comes with UT2004.

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
If you have the CD version, Maya should be on the play disc, under extras or something.

uberstonks

May 27, 2005
If you cant find it, you can download it for free from the Alias site
http://www.alias.com

Look for a link for Maya PLE... HOWEVER this will be the latest version (V6.5) and the Maya - UT2004 exporter is only in a Beta state so far for version 6.5

uberstonks

May 27, 2005
MIne is in CD6 in a folder called extras. There is another directory called MayaPLE..

I have the DVD version of UT2004 but its only all the CDS on one DVD, yours should still be on CD6....

Splinter

rifk
Feb 29, 2004
Over there!
If you still havn't found it, I have the DVD version of Unreal Tournament 2004 and to get it I go to: E:\CD6\Extras\MayaPLE . Hope that helps.

War Penguin

In A War With The Penguins .. Im Loseing
Apr 3, 2005
Duluth, GA
www.freewebs.com
put in the ut2004 play disk then go to my computer now go to your drive (Cd) it should have a ut2004 logo on it right click and click open you should see extras. The reason i know this is because i had the same problem at one point.

Last edited:

coldrain

May 30, 2005
lol i should have posted a long time ago the day i couldnt find it i found it :D .Im using Upaint i still have a problem when i export my charater to my game and i named him something other then the name he is usually named.I named a charater blackknight and saved him then exported him i couldnt see him.Hes picture was there but when i click on him he wouldnt highlight or show up for that matter.does anyone know whats wrong am i missing a file.I want to make characters really bad and every time I make a character like xan and dont change his name i can use him in the game but everyone who has the character looks like mine so i would really be happy for any help. :2thumb:

Mooseboy

Jul 19, 2001
Visit site
Note that the link uberstonks provided won't help unless you can get Maya PLE version 5 there. Unless I'm mistaken, the UnrealEd exporter plugin for PLE hasn't been updated to 6.

uberstonks

May 27, 2005
Mooseboy said:
Note that the link uberstonks provided won't help unless you can get Maya PLE version 5 there. Unless I'm mistaken, the UnrealEd exporter plugin for PLE hasn't been updated to 6.

Are you saying that the Actor X plugins posted on the UT developers website
http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorX

Only cover the Full versions of Maya and not the PLE version ?

Whilst Im back on this thread, The link I posted for the tutorial on the ALias website was written by a Guy called Geoff Parrott. You can view the tutorial at his own website rather than register on the Alias site
http://jeffparrott.com/mayaut2k4_01.html
I understand that it didnt help you out bud, but it may help others

+++++EDIT+++++
I found the page which has the download links for the maya5 PLE Exporter files
http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/MayaCompletePlugins#UT2004_Maya_Complete_Plugins

Last edited:

Mooseboy

Jul 19, 2001
Visit site
Are you saying that the Actor X plugins posted on the UT developers website ... Only cover the Full versions of Maya and not the PLE version?
That's my understanding, yes.

The issue here is that the standard ActorX plugins produce output, I think in the form of .psk & .psa files. This is a bad thing from Alias's perspective when talking about PLE because it means you could use PLE to generate output that could then be used in a regular work pipeline, and that's in direct competition with full Maya. Basically, Alias would be giving away a fairly powerful tool and would lose serious amounts of cash because the people who can afford the real tool would have no incentive to buy it.

The plugin for PLE exports directly into UnrealEd, and will start up UnrealEd if you don't already have it running. Then the only way you can save your work and use it in a game is as a .ukx, which can't be imported into some other tool and converted to a different format. The Alias revenue stream is pretty well protected. Can't say I blame them.

Unfortunately for us, all this means no custom ragdolls via Maya PLE because KAT works on .psk(a?) files.