UE3 - UDK My UDK Ladder Volume doesn't work

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
Darn....

I learnt how to create ladders a long time ago and they still just do not work.

I create the shape of my ladder, about 120 wide and however long I need them. I then build the AI paths and when I play I run up to where the ladder fulvume is and nothing happens.

The AI path arrow that points to where you go is pointing to the side, I went into the ladder volume properties and rotated so it faced up and still no interaction.

Anybody have some ideas?

I don't get those green arrows connecting my player start object to the ladder volume...if that helps.

I'll try to get a screenshot.:(

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
The arrow property in the ladder volume has to face the wall, not upwards. Not sure how to do botpathing inside ladder volumes. Maybe volume path nodes? I dunno.

Oh wow, it's working now, I didn't even have to change the arrow this time, it just went.

So now what are the chances of me being able to turn the ladder on it's side?

So basically having a horizontal length ladder volume where the player moves across it horizontally?

Is that possible?:)

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
like what? lieing flat on the ground or with the short side? If its flat you can just walk over it. AFAIK ladder volumes always go upwards, but I guess you could try it.

No not lying flat on the ground, I mean a wall like this.....
HorizontalVolume.jpg

The player runs along the side, like a shimmy. So changing the volume so you move side to side instead of vertically like a normal ladder.

I guess I'll have to mess around and see what happens.:)

Edit: Ok so I have managed to make multiple ledges and place a ladder volume across them like in the above picture. So Depending on the height of the platform the player can either just run up it or might need to jump to reach the volume and continue up to the platform.

If there was a way I could make the controls so you can move side to side, that would be great....however I am not sure if that is possible with ladder volumes.

If it's not possible to move side to side on a ladder volume. Is there another volume that I could use to have the player in mid air...this way gravity seems to be no existant but the player can still move around in the volume?

Edit Again: Huzzza! So I have used gravity volumes along ledges to allow the player a bit of a boost to reach jumps that were not possible before. Now if only I could turn this into some sort of climbing system....:/

Last edited:

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
You'd probably have to modify the ladder volumes to allow sideways movement. Don't ask me how to script that tho.

I wouldn't expect anyone to know how to script that.

Where does knowledge f scripting come from, it's like knowing a second language...but it's so.....weird....

Ah well....I'll figure something out.:)

Peter_Wolfe

Oct 8, 2010
If you look in the "LadderVolume" tab of the properties for your ladder volume there's a checkbox called "Allow ladder strafing." Try playing with that and see if that is what you mean by 'shimmying left and right.' Thats in the Sept '10 beta of UDK anyway

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
^If that is your only post, that is one fantastic post BTW.:D

If you look in the "LadderVolume" tab of the properties for your ladder volume there's a checkbox called "Allow ladder strafing." Try playing with that and see if that is what you mean by 'shimmying left and right.' Thats in the Sept '10 beta of UDK anyway

Holly fudge thank you!:D

I hope I can get something going.:D

Last edited: