My Mac G4 is dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
OS 9... there goes the "fsck" idea. Find someone with a bootable external drive, and boot from that. You may at least be able to save your data.

Diskwarrior is also quite nice. I keep it in my laptop bag at all times.

Hey, what about a live linux cd? Are there any for ppc? If so, he could boot from that and maybe recover some data. lemme check.

*edit* for what it's worth, Gentoo has a live linux cd for ppc availabe.

Last edited:

Deb

Hapless Wander (I do what I want)
Mar 16, 2002
OH
www.dvts.org
You could try zapping the PRAM because my suggestion would have been to use the system software installer disk to startup (do this by holding the "C" key while starting up) and then it could find your system folder that way, but I noticed that you said you can't find the disk. So, to zap it, while starting up your mac hold down Ctrl, Opt, P, and R (yes at the same time :) ) don't let go until the startup screen comes up.

I think my G4 started up every single time with a nice little flashing folder (although mine would actually start up and run even) until I got OSX Jaguar. Now, it runs great, but I don't have 9 installed anymore either.

Hopefully this helps or something helps... can't have a sick Mac out there.

Woops, I guess I should have read the whole thing... sorry. :(

Have you tried starting it up with the extensions turned off?? (Start up with the shift key held down.) All this does is turn off the extensions, which you can turn back on while you are there and then restart and they will be back on again. Not sure if it could be an extension conflict, unless you just recently installed something new.

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
lol.
To counter his claim tho, when I have to install a new OS X (or upgrade for that matter) I can select an option called "archive and install" which will format and completely install a fresh operating system while retaining all of the files in my home folder, and all my user data (ie: passwords, custom settings, adresses, etc..)

I'll take that of a windows reinstall any day. :)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
ZenPirate said:
I can select an option called "archive and install" which will format and completely install a fresh operating system while retaining all of the files in my home folder, and all my user data (ie: passwords, custom settings, adresses, etc..)
Hm. Okay fine, there's actually a really good feature OS X has that Windows doesn't have that I wish it did. It has this thing that lets you transfer personal preferences and settings but it's pretty wimpy, doesn't work too well so I don't even use it...

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
Folder Icon with a question mark? You probably just need to rebuild the desktop. Boot off some remote disk (preferebly the OS9 Install CD) and while it's booting hold down Command-Option. You'll eventually get a dialog asking you if you want to rebuild the desktop. Click "yes" for the boot drive.

Also, run Disk First Aid off the CD. You may want to do this first before rebuilding the desktop. It'll probably report a "minor error detected" and correct itself so you can boot normally next time. (I had this happen to me several times. Not once did I lose any data).

Remember, don't treat this like you would a PC because it's not one. You do and you'll really regret it.

Last edited:

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
ZenPirate said:
lol.
To counter his claim tho, when I have to install a new OS X (or upgrade for that matter) I can select an option called "archive and install" which will format and completely install a fresh operating system while retaining all of the files in my home folder, and all my user data (ie: passwords, custom settings, adresses, etc..)

This feature has been around for years. Back when "clean installs" were reconmended when upgrading the system software. You'd simply choose "Perform clean install" which creates a new system folder but leaves the old one intact in case you decide you want to go back. It also allowed a user to move extensions, fonts, prefs, etc from the old system folder to the new one. Conflict Catcher had a "Clean Install Systen Merge" feature that did this for you. It's not like Windows where you have the registry. When the Windows registry goes, so does everything else.