muzak dude on standby

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
I was talking about the track itself, i liked the concept of terminal velocity, sorry i dont remember the music, but i think the track with the bugs worked out would be a cool addition to UnWheel, steven and i were talking about it the other day and we both agreed that the track itself could be very cool :D

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
strangelet said:
ok man well somebody gave me an ftp addy so bung it in there and i'll have a looksee.

do you guys have a schedule or something? could i get a copy? or just a date and a set amount of tracks... any specific stuff like devils playground (something dark and evil as i recall) should be outlined as best possible

also at some point we'll have to dicuss copyrights - i'm not really worried (i never use uncleared samples or anything like that) but you guys are doing this professionally so we'll have to get it straight.

i'm thinking i give you a free written license to use the tracks in the mod and for the promotion of the mod - but we'll retain ownership of them, which only means that you'll have to declare that in the documentation

lastly i'd appreciate some kind of royalty if this thing makes any money. if it doesnt then no harm's done but if you guys win the big prize i don't wanna be negotiating with your new secretaries afterwards ;)

i have no idea how much could be potentially involved but something like 2 per cent seems fair, subject to discussion of course - and if we put that in the license then it's out of the way.

cheers

As far as a schedule goes we don't really have one other than what the contest dictates, our next deadline is the 30th of May, but I think Shrimp needs us the be ready by the 23rd, so about nine days from now. Our next deadline after that isn't until sometime in august. An as far as a number of tracks goes, we'd like to have one track per map, but we can use a track in multiple maps, that's not a problem, I'm not even sure about how many maps we have right now, but you certainly don't have to worry about making too much music, that's for sure, our map list is always slowly growing. Feel free to open up any map you want and get insipiration from it.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the specific stuff needs to be outlined, do you just mean that you need more details about what we want? For Devil's Playground I was thinking of something slower paced than go, the Kball game type isn't very fast paced, something sort of like the empirial march from star wars, but with guitars, just something that sounds badass and evil.

Anything about money and copyrights is between you and Shrimp, but I'd just like to and that we are not doing this professionally, we are all voluntiers and I think I can safely speak for the rest of the team when I say that we would all still be working on Unwheel even if there was no money on the line.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Hiya

Please email me with your finalized license agreement at shrimp@beyondunreal.com as soon as you have it ready.

About the time-frame, we have about a week left - I would like to release our new version (the Make Something Unreal Contest entry).

also at some point we'll have to dicuss copyrights - i'm not really worried (i never use uncleared samples or anything like that) but you guys are doing this professionally so we'll have to get it straight.

I'm happy to put in as many copyright notices as you require, but we are by no means doing this professionally - we are just a bunch of crazed UT2004 fans making our little mod ;)

strangelet

May 13, 2004
i seem to have scared you guys. don't panic! i just have to get a formal license agreement from you guys in order to keep our records sweet here at whitenoise.

we all apreciate the general lack of funds in mapping groups and we dont expect anything. when i said professional, i meant the quality of your work and your attitudes and work ethic.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
mm... musical discussion... too bad i really am not much for here... so its a track-for-track basis? like one song for one map...

so this will be the official unwheel music, if more maps are added, they would probably be supplied with their own music ... adding music to a release greatly increases its officialness... now people will take unwheel seriously

ProjectX

Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps
Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
carmatic said:
mm... musical discussion... too bad i really am not much for here... so its a track-for-track basis? like one song for one map...

so this will be the official unwheel music, if more maps are added, they would probably be supplied with their own music ... adding music to a release greatly increases its officialness... now people will take unwheel seriously

possibly the Phase II 3-category win might make people take us seriously? lol jk :lol:

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
<--- didnt see the msu website

is there a category for 'best music' or whatever? or maybe we can come close with something like 'best presentation' or something...

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
hm
Best Voice Pack or Audio Modification

hey josh reckon your good with sounds in general? are you good with umm... trent reznor-style stuff ... like you remember, right? trent reznor did sounds for quake 1...
oh wait this is a driving mod... so scary noises wont help... hm....

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
ditto to diego1203, thanks, the "tunez" your pumping out are cool, i would like to hear more stuff like tarmacademy1 :D

strangelet

May 13, 2004
interesting you mention trent reznor, because i want to be him when i grow up. he is my god, my idol, my role model.

it's a shame you dont really need any sfx or other audio. if you do figure out how to work the vehicle sounds any better i can help with the actual audio.

is there no way to fade between sounds from a parameter like speed or engine power output? ideally you'd want to do that as well as increase/decrease the pitch of the sounds simultaneously

another thing - the constant skidding noises are doing my head in! how are those triggered - do they actually require the tyres to lose grip or is it some other factor?

strangelet

May 13, 2004
p.s i can do voiceovers if you need anything. i have a deeply sexxxxi voice as my g/f and anyone who played my ALIENS mod for myth will testify ;)

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
strangelet said:
another thing - the constant skidding noises are doing my head in! how are those triggered - do they actually require the tyres to lose grip or is it some other factor?

it doesn't always do that for me. Hmm.. What map and what car do you play most?

BTW I really liked tarmacademy, I could almost hear the gravel crunching...

Oh and we might need a custom announcer (deathball won a MSUC category for theirs I think) and a custom taunt menu would be cool, such as Eat my Dust! and other classic (when I say clasic I mean overly-cliched) racing taunts.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Hmm, the sliding/dust/grip sounds are a little messed up right now. The new wheels I added are turning a helluva lot faster then the previous ones, causing them to seem to be spinning too fast and the dust and screeching are being caused a bit too much.

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
what about the parametric sound for the engines...

perhaps there is a way to assume control over the physics of the wheels? like , make them behave how you want them to, not the karma physics engine's way...

hm and oh yeah speaking of voices with vehicles... it reminds me of the onslaught announcements like 'daredevil' and 'fender bender' ... maybe you can do some trent reznor-y type things about these?

Last edited:

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
Any chance of having a peaceful, ambient track done? A bit like KR-Serenity from the UT2K4 Music directory?

Think mountain races. :)

ProjectX

Jan 9, 2004
Right behind you.
carmatic said:
a new map is coming out?

you insult me by even considering that it would be one new map! :lol: jk.

Yeah I got a mountain one that needs a calm music track, and I might use it in Frons too.