MPAA...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PBH

Waiting for Armageddon
Jan 2, 2004
ohio
As most of you know about and or use bittorent, know they have problems with the MPAA. Supernova was shut down because of it and now they are attaking many other torrent sites. However I noticed a torrent site that I frequent had a donation to raise the money to pay the law suit of the MPAA. 30,000 seem mighty high for donations but to my surprise they actually paid the 1 month and are still battling the MPAA aparently.

http://www.lokitorrent.com/index.php?page=1

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Wow. That is impressive, but fight on. It's about time someone stood up.

Why isn't the ACLU getting in on some of this action?

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
somehow i can tell it's already a losing battle. It's not as if this is a new and shawdowy area of law that hasn't been tested before.. between napster and all those that have followed, the whole Riaa thing there's aready been a number of precidents made. It's all pretty much cookie cutter stuff now. I doubt there's any chance that they'd be able to defeat the riaa, and about the only thing i can see them acomplishing is making it more expensive for the MPAA.... but they've got money to burn. If EVERY person being sued by the RIAA decided to go to court then maybe.. maybe you wouldn't see such a slew of these legal attacks... but the reality is that the cost is minimal compared to what they're projecting in lost revenue from pirated works.

There's only one lesson here to be learned IMHO: The only people that win, are the lawyers.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
DEFkon said:
There's only one lesson here to be learned IMHO: The only people that win, are the lawyers.
Actually, there's only one lesson to be learned here: the only people that lose are us.

PBH

Waiting for Armageddon
Jan 2, 2004
ohio
I liked the pirate bay to... What a shame these corporate pricks are taking this so seriously. Hell I will be willing to bet that some corporate stock has gone down a point or two becuase of bittorent... Now we can't have that becuase thats one less mill they don't recieve at the end of the year.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
Well, what do you think 80% of Bittorrent bandwidth is getting used for? Educational films?

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
I thought that Randy West's "Please Cum Inside Me" compilation was very educational, actually.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
The sad thing is how universities and organizations are caving in "just to be safe".

My college has every major p2p protocol blocked (well, MoreNET, the 'net provider, more specficially). I can't use Bittorrent, and it's pretty much moot trying to convince them to unblock it, even though it's probably used more for legit stuff than any other p2p protocol (although I used to use Limewire for sharing security docs).

I once, last semester, got accused for pirating music and/or movies. I also got told I was getting sued. The dean of men was just blowing things out of proportion, though. I wasn't getting sued, I just got "caught" trying to use p2p software (Funny thing is, I didn't even have 'net access for a week before I was "caught" - They failed to get 'net access working in my room for the first 5 weeks of the semester). Then they shut it down, and I had to talk to Comp Services about it.

I hate how they are targetting protocols.. Stifling one of the greatest means of bandwidth and server load reduction is NOT cool. I wonder how much money they'd be costing major sites that offer stuff like linux ISOs and such after getting bittorrent blocked by half a million service providers to unis, colleges, and other places.. Bandwidth is NOT cheap, still.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
PBH said:
As most of you know about and or use bittorent, know they have problems with the MPAA. Supernova was shut down because of it and now they are attaking many other torrent sites. However I noticed a torrent site that I frequent had a donation to raise the money to pay the law suit of the MPAA. 30,000 seem mighty high for donations but to my surprise they actually paid the 1 month and are still battling the MPAA aparently.

http://www.lokitorrent.com/index.php?page=1
According to the owner of suprnova, suprnova was not shut down because of the MPAA. It was shut down because of lack of time, bandwidth costs, and all that other bullcrap that admins rant about when they shut down a website. Luckily, suprnova had a plan, and that plan is eXeem.