Mouse Lag!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Prophet781

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Im getting mouse lag. (I move the mouse and the cursor or screen will move one second later.)

specs
asus p3b-f latest bios
256 megs ram
6 gig ibm hd
3d prophet 2 gts
pentium IIIe 550
usb logitech mouseman wheel (also tried vanillia ps2 mouse)
I have all the latest drivers and the latest patch. I'm using detonator 2 drivers ver 5.30
keyboard with ketchup on the esc key

Please help, the lagging makes me dizzy and I fall out of my chair.

Prophet781

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
mouselag

Yes, i have tried it with and without direct input. It does not change with the sensitivity and it used to work but then it suddenly didn't, have no idea why. Thanks for replying too!

Jupe

Jun 14, 2000
New Hampshire, US
Visit site
Hmm, I have no idea, then.

Did you change anything software or hardware wise right before it stopped working? Since it's happening with both USB and PS2 mice, it's probably a software thing.

Have you done the old uninstall and reinstall UT?

Prophet781

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
I havent changed anything at all, yes I have tried the uninstall and reinstall, AND format and reload. I also tried to use every single ref. driver I could get my hands on. samething with them all.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
At what stage in UT are you experiencing this lag. From your thread, it may appear you are receiving this lag while in game. Is that correct? I experience lag while in Software mode or during a refresh of all the servers...but that is normal.

What mode are you playing in, Software, D3D, OpenGl or S3 Metal?

What are you mouse settings in windows? Do you have it at the basic (default) settings, or did you customize it to be faster or slower?

If you are experiencing lag while in game, then you may have to turn down some graphics...ie...Coronas, Volumetric lighting, World Detail and Skin Detail. This can cause lag. But, check your inputs in the advanced preferences (hit ~ tilde key and type preferences) in UT. Look for anything that deals with the mouse or inputs.

Prophet781

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
The problem happens in the user interface of ut AND in the game, all levels, with or without mods. My mouse in windows is at all of the default settings and i'm running ut in direct3d mode. I'll try turning down some of the graphics and see if that helps. Thanks for answering!

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
In your mouse properties, make sur the "SmartSpeed" is disabled. And disable "Snapto". Ensure the pointer speed acceleration is set to off (Pointer Speed>advanced tab). Also, are you running any programs in the background...ie...virus checkers, taskman, winamp...etc...? I don't know what Ketchup is...but that may be the problem...disable that and see if it helps.

Prophet781

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
I don't actually have any of those settings, also i'm not running anything in the background, the new UT patch just came out today, there wasn't a listed bugfix for my problem but i'll install it and see if it helps. Also, thanks alot for replying so quick to my posts, it's nice to know that the UT community supports their members. Thanks Alot!

Rubbadonga

Aug 7, 2000
Visit site
Seeing as this thread is appropriate, I'll post my little quandry then.

I've got the same mouse problem with UT as has already been mentioned.

My system :-

Athlon T/Bird 1GHz
Asus A7V
256 PC133 RAM
3D Prophet GeForce 2 GTS 64 mb
Razer Boomslang

I've tried everything under the sun, different mice, ps2 and usb, all versions of the d3d dll's, patches, drivers etc.

No matter what I try, I get the weird lagging thing with the mouse AND keyboard, so there's some kind of input problem methinks. Any help would be VERY much appreciated seeing as I can't play UT properly anymore.

Thanks

Nazgul

Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
Same here. Methinks its the GeForce 2 GTS that is causing the problems. I have:

Athlon 700 on ASUS k7V mobo, 256 Mb PC133, ASUS V7700 GeForce 2 GTS video card (with Detonator 2, v5.22), Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer with latest drivers installed.

Same problem with patch 425, mouse lag, crappy framerate.

But, now hold on to your butts, THE DEMO RAN JUST FINE!
Same hardware, same drivers, demo version 348, 60 FPS @ 1024x768x16.

I've got some other posts and replies on this forum if you want to know more specifics.

Nazgul

Rubbadonga

Aug 7, 2000
Visit site
Only problem is that with ANY version of UT I get mouse lag. It's not just the 425 patch that messes it up.

When I switch to software rendering, apart from the crappy graphics, there is no mouse lag whatsoever.

Thing is, with halflife/counterstrike I get superb performance with D3D. Must be some weird UT programming if you ask me.

Prophet781

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Thats EXACTLY my situation Rubbadonga. Looks like were both screwed. Interestingly enough I get MUCH less of the mouse lag problem in dues ex, but none in the demo, hmmmmmmmm.

Rubbadonga

Aug 7, 2000
Visit site
I put the new patch on deus ex and it seems to be fine now, but UT is still a bit odd. I've put the sensitivity on real high and it reduces the lag a little?

Maybe they'll sort this out some day eh?

Nazgul

Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
On unreal.epicgames.com, the developers report the following:

"Some users are experiencing "mouse lag" with the TNT/TNT2 drivers, where there is a 1-2 second delay between moving your mouse and seeing the game respond. We are waiting for NVidia to address this issue and release an updated driver."

Seems to me there is a bit of friction between NVIDIA and epic on this issue.

Be that as it may, we bought the game, it won't run as it should, so the first party I'm looking at for support is the developer of the game. I sent them an e-mail (utbugs425@epicgames.com) and they sent me back some lame agent-reply claiming they read all bugreports and are looking into the issue, blah-blah-blah. But they cannot go into every question individually.

Meanwhile every other GeForce2 owner who wants to play UT is looking at a framerate one-third of their card's potential and a game that respond with a 1-2 second delay to their input. That's ridiculous! Please, Epic, sell me some more...

Well, anyway, on august 5th they released their latest incarnation of the cursed d3ddrv.dll, revision 1.8d, available at:

http://unreal.epicgames.com/files/d3d_18d/d3ddrv.dll

I haven't tried it yet, so I couldn't say if it helps or not.

Nazgul

Nazgul

Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
From http://www.unrealkingdom.com/index.html#2246

"The Fallen D3D Patch - [1:49 PM PST] - Strife
The Collective released a new version 1.8c Direct3D .DLL for their Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - The Fallen demo, just as Epic did for UT a few days ago. This should hopefully fix any and all D3D woes. Btw, D3D works awesome with UT now, if you have the right card. I say this because I hear a lot of people bitching and moaning about crummy D3D for UT. Just make sure you have the latest drivers for everything and 99% of you with headaches will be fine. :)"

Hmmmm....

I'll believe it when I see it... ;)

Nazgul

Nazgul

Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
Have you tried either of the 1.8c or 1.8d revisions?

Cause I wanna know whether they're any good before I get my hopes up to high, see... ;)

Nazgul