More spam since switch?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Seems like it for sure. There are more steps we can take but I'm not sure how they are getting around Google's Captcha system.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
I have some suggestions that might help, either one or more, depending what can be configured:
1. The first post, or maybe first couple of posts, have to be approved by a moderator before any more posts can be made, and before the first ones show up.
2. Users with less than x posts can't include URLs in the post.
3. Users with less than x posts can only reply to posts, but not make a new post.

Reactions: Al

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
№ 1 Solved all the spam problem on UT forums. In all the time just two spam posts came through, but I think that's more due to moderator attention slipping. Pretty much when pre-mod came in effect the mass spam stopped in just a couple of days. Spammers understood that it's just useless to try there.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Seems like it for sure. There are more steps we can take but I'm not sure how they are getting around Google's Captcha system.
Clean Talk Anti-Spam and Stop Forum Spam sites sometimes provide add-ons for forums that filter out suspect or robot spammers and then list them to have their registration approved.

I suppose this becomes a form of pre-moderation and therefore more heavy lifting from mods and admins.

But yes; there is definitely a shitload more spammers being registered here than ever before.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, it's an everyday thing now with the spam. I definitely agree with Syri's ideas. Hopefully Brizz or someone will implement them. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah, I think I'm going to add some restrictions like having the first few posts moderated. We already have SFS and some other Antispam thing running but they only catch about 25% of the spammers signing up right now.

Reactions: Al