More off Dev Team Topic stuff

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hmishima

Sep 10, 2004
I said a while ago that I had an announcement to make soon ( and you probably don't remember, but that's OK). Well, here it is.

www.aagamingrentals.com

A few friends and I have started our own game server rental company. We've spent several months of work and research to get this going and I think we've done a pretty good job. I know everyone here already has a host, but I would just ask you to keep us in mind when the time comes to renew your contract. Our prices are very competitive and our machines are top notch and our bandwidth is second-to-none.

Sorry if this offends anyone for posting this here, I'm just a bit excited to finally realize this coming to being.

We are not quite ready to take orders just yet...probably by mid-week we will be fully operational.

Last edited:

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
This is where you guys are so lucky that you can do things like this as out here only large ISP's can afford it as outlays are enormous and bandwidth prices are astronomical as all bandwidth is owned by one company (Telkom) and you can see the anti Telkom posts at http://www.hellkom.co.za who is currently under a $1m law suite
Good luck to you guys :)

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
looks like our local (single) ISP..Qtel..can't wait til the government allows them some competition and wither away....(likely 4 more years)

utw-Mephisto

Guilty
Nov 20, 2004
Gibraltar
Good Luck :)

I was thinking doing it myself. But the competition is quite hard ...

I see you make even a difference between vehicles ?!? Why is that ? For example I have a 8 and 16 slot with gdhost.co.uk and there is no restriction whatsoever, vehicles or not ... I just saw this several times and since you are a hoster yourself : What does it make for a difference :) ?

hmishima

Sep 10, 2004
In time we may lift that restriction. Right now though, we have one machine (although it's a really top-of-the-line machine: Dual Opteron 250's, 4 GB ram, 560GB SATA (3 drives) and Cognet and Level3 backbones at 100MBps) and need to be SURE we can accomdate everyone until we get enough $$ to get another couple of servers. I would imagine the larger hosts have a ton of servers to put the load on and can balance everything fairly well as far as processor usage/gametype. We don't have the luxury yet and are trying to discourage people from renting a server with vehicles for the time being without actually telling them 'NO'. The machine is DOUBLE the power of our current colo so we really have no clue how much it can or can't handle. We have a 20 player ProInstaGib CTF server running on there right now at: 66.90.100.99:8888...or maybe 66.90.100.98, can't remember right now... So far we haven't had enough people on there for the processor to even notice it's supposed to be working;)

frogger187

eat. sleep. frag.
May 2, 2003
most hosts i have worked with all increase the price when vehicles are used. It DOES use more CPU and bandwidth...thus limiting the number of players per server. I don't disagree with this. ONS and AS are the real hogs...VCTF and VDM are not as heavy a load...

utw-Mephisto

Guilty
Nov 20, 2004
Gibraltar
Makes sense ...

What you say : I am paying 160 Pounds (400 Euro) for 6 Month, full admin controll, no restrictions, Ping always 40-60 max (from Spain, Server in UK) and Ping around 20-30 from Germany ....

hmishima

Sep 10, 2004
That would be about $350 with us for the 16 player without vehicles and $510 for 16 player with vehicles. Both cheaper than what you're paying:) We have people from EU and JAPAN play on our colo daily (colo is hosted in same data center as the rental server) and nobody EVER complains about their ping. I usually ping under 20 to our servers.

utw-Mephisto

Guilty
Nov 20, 2004
Gibraltar
Just made a game (66.90.100.99:8888) and got a ping of 148 ..

But currently every server suck in the server browser so it is proparbly my ISP ...