modem to modem? no internet? possible?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

caseywhitcher

Apr 5, 2001
san diego, CA
www.hometown.aol.com
Ok, everyone remember the old days when internet play did not exist? with doom , and duke nukem and all those, and you just called the other person and got a 2 player deathmatch going with a friend? can you do that with UT? or what? please advise, thanks, KC

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
Yes its possible but I dont know how its done. I thought if I posted in this thread someone else might come along with more help but i know for sure its possible.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
Yes, you need to search your windows help for "dial-up server". You may need to even add this option from your Win98 cd.
I've tried this, and you don't really gain a whole bunch of speed by going modem to modem versus the internet. But you try it and tell us if it is any good for your situation.

caseywhitcher

Apr 5, 2001
san diego, CA
www.hometown.aol.com
Hey all, we tried it last night, actually that was the only option we had, cuz he doesnt have an isp, and I'm going through AOL till I get my cable, so modem to modem is all we could do, but, it did work, exactly that way set up dial up server, wait for call then start a game , and join, but, I found that the person who was joining lagged a bit, not too bad, but a little, anyway, better than nothing. thanks, KC