Modding/mapping for Borderlands is possible

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

barballs

Packed with Unreal goodness
May 3, 2003
Arizona
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
apparently:

It's a 2min hack to Borderlands it a very limited UnrealEd. Anyways some tips.

1. Make a WillowGame\Splash\PC\EdSplash.bmp
2. Edit Engine\Localization\INT\UnrealEd.int (missing text / move text)
3. Edit Engine\Localization\INT\Launch.int (missing text / move text)
4. Add Binaries\UE3ShaderCompileWorker.exe (small bit more stability)
5. You may have to reinstall game if UnrealEd stop working
6. Added patching...
7. 'AnimSet Editor' you need to match mesh's with anim if do not will look odd...
8. there some .ini editor stuff you can edit but been to long for me to recall if helped much...

UE3ShaderCompileWorker.exe you can now take it from UDK over some game

This excites me.....
+1

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It looks like it still has severe stability problems, and, of course, there is no real way to load the files into the game.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
there is no real way to load the files into the game.

There is.

open -mapnamehere-

You apparently need another hex/bypass to remove the "say" from the console command. Otherwise, you can just replace it with one of the game's maps.

2. Edit Engine\Localization\INT\UnrealEd.int (missing text / move text)

Come on. I read that post too, have you actually read it and tried? I challenge you to do so, then come back again if you understood past 2. You must be a divine genius or something. Those so called "tips" are completely useless, they don't provide actual feedback on how you get this to work. And even once you do, they're still completely useless.

To get this working, you need to HEX edit the main EXE. Which is not possible with the Steam version.

Here's something more helpful than "(missing text / move text)"..

I disabled some code that resets the editor flag. Why I haven't posted how to do it yet is because the editor seems to be very finicky and if you even touch any of the data it ends up crashing instead of loading the editor. Saving packages also seems to be completely unfunctional, it's really odd.

Edit:

If someone wants to try it, in Borderlands.exe, offset 0xFA2E01 (original bytes 89 3D BC 9F F4 01) need to be nopped (replaced with 90 90 90 90 90 90). I can't help you if your executable doesn't match up with mine. This will 100% not work with the Steam version since the executable is Steam bound.

Then just start the game with the 'EDITOR' argument.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I asked him how he accesed the editor but I didn't get a response yet.

I got some. If you want me to be completely honest with you guys, that guy is on some kind of "Exclusivity-parade" - he won't really share except for saying "All the EXE are different I did * in mine and it worked!" and bypass key Q's like what version is he using.

Mhh... Déja-vue.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
How? The only thing ME didn't allow was cooking using BEAST. There was no real way to load the files there, either, so I see them as pretty equal (except ME didn't require hex editing).

Malachor

Nov 27, 2009
I disabled some code that resets the editor flag. Why I haven't posted how to do it yet is because the editor seems to be very finicky and if you even touch any of the data it ends up crashing instead of loading the editor. Saving packages also seems to be completely unfunctional, it's really odd.

Edit:

If someone wants to try it, in Borderlands.exe, offset 0xFA2E01 (original bytes 89 3D BC 9F F4 01) need to be nopped (replaced with 90 90 90 90 90 90). I can't help you if your executable doesn't match up with mine. This will 100% not work with the Steam version since the executable is Steam bound.

Then just start the game with the 'EDITOR' argument.

I think this is all Turk(if you're talking about Turk's map creation progress) has done. But he's used the unpatched version of the game. Gibbed was the one who found that information, so I don't think Turk would know that much more about it.
Though why he hasn't said exactly what he's done, I don't know(obviously).