UE3 - UDK Modder Looking For Help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rennn

Jan 17, 2012
I've made some mods, but only reskins and simple dialogue changes and that sort of thing. I'm downloading the UDK at the moment, and I plan on making a shooter (Star Wars). It'll probably be a good thing to have in my portfolio for college (considering I'm going for programming), if I can make any sort of progress before then.

I have a few questions, since if UE3 is anything like every other game engine it'll be hopelessly overwhelming for a novice like me.

Firstly, are there any other programs that I should have on my pc? (such as to make models and textures, etc) I have Gimp, Blender, and Nifskope from my Oblivion mods but I'm not sure if those will help here.

Secondly, where can I find a good tutorial for programming using UE3? (noob friendly is preferred)

Thirdly, are there any pitfalls or novice mistakes that I should be aware of? Likewise, are there any tips you'd like to share (in simple words, :) ) for how to do things the right way?

Last edited:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Well, for programming I always recommend my book (link in my sig). [/self pimpage]

Gimp and Blender are good for content creation. Googling Nifskope, you won't need a program like that to work with the UDK, all of the content importing/alteration is done inside the Content Browser in the Unreal Editor.

There are a lot of good resources and tutorials on Epic's official forums in the UDK section:
http://utforums.epicgames.com/index.php

As well as the Unreal Developer Network:
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/WebHome.html

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

Rennn

Jan 17, 2012
Thanks for the info :)
I've hit a problem though. Whenever I try to make new terrain, I don't get a grid. All I get is a tiny picture of a mountain where the terrain should be. Thoughts?

This seems to be a fairly common problem amongst people on Youtube.
EDIT: I'm going to try saving my game, and then creating terrain. Before I wasn't saving before attempting to add terrain, and this may have been causing problems.

Last edited:

Rennn

Jan 17, 2012
Thanks, but I already reverted to the November version to fix it, lol.
I wish I'd waited a while longer now. Oh well...