Mission Suggestions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I was posted this quick suggestion on missions in the 'Official INF 2.9 Bonus pack announcement 2 month old today' thread:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=1596412&posted=1#post1596412
And thought about a thread here, to post mission suggestions.

I always dreamed having maps not in just one map, but in a 'mission pack'.
In this pack, you have the same maps, with different sub missions that belong to the primal mission.

For example Mostar:
Part One
The first mission part, is at the evening, where team A have to take down the chopper with a Stinger, team B have to prevent them. The emphasis in this mission is a special part on the map.
- If team A fails, the mission is replayed, but team B takes the role of the agressor. If team B fails too, next map will be launched.

Part Two
The chopper is down.
It is night, team A has to reach the chopper and team B protect it. The battles are full of CQB in the streets and buildings.
The emphasis is in another point of the map and more places are accessable.
- If team A fails, team B takes the role of the agressor, in the first mission part. If team B fails at the first mission part too, next map will be launched.

Part Three
It is dawn. You hear the muizzin shouting.
Team A has the stuff from the chopper.
They have to escape, while the battles are hard, cuz team B has to prevent team A from escape at all costs (hey, no reason for terror).
The emphasis takes even here in another point, and probably more places are accessable.
- If team A succeed, next map will be loaded (or team B take place of team A). If team A fails, team B takes the role of the agressor, in the first mission part.
If team B fails at the first mission part too, next map will be launched.

I know, it takes work and time to create such missions, but those missions would create realistic operations, which takes a whole day, sometimes. It would make the same map different every mission part and the same map can be reused therefore.

I can imagine Road to Kandahar, such a genious map with so great embience, splitted in different mission parts.

The server can use those missions different. You can play the whole 'mission session' like described above, or you can use just one mission part to play it as a single map, like the actual EAS.
If a mission is selected in the menu, they will appear a submenu, with the mission parts listed, you can coose one of them. If you do not choose, just select the map and it will be played with all parts as described above.

Also you can skip the first mission part, and begin with the second and continue with the third. That would be called 'custom session'.

But they should still stay maps, like in actual EAS, where you play just one map, with one mission part. Take something, and reach a extraction point, all in the single mission.

And what about having one map, with different objectives selectable? Take mostar, you could define, do you want to take the CD from the chopper, or do you want to let a bomb detonating in the enemie camp?
A map can be used with normally imfantry, or a sabotage mission, with limited firepower, light Special Force armory and silencers and so on.
/Quote

Maybe, some ideas will help the SS team to create new missions for the next INF.

Last edited:

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
OK I have no Idea how easy this would be in INF but here goes,
Kinda like DTAS, dynamic king of the hill (or hamburger hill depending on what games you play.) The basic premise is that there is a random or variable point on the map which either team must secure and hold for as long as possible. I'm not sure if INF could do a timer for how long people have secured an area, but if that doesn't work set a timer for two people to be in an area for say five minutes. This would probably work best with GD respawn timer (restarts to 70 if below 34.)

I could see a couple of problems with this
A) If we use RTS, one team could spawn right on top of the objective. And if it's a large map holding it for five min would probably be too easy. So set it so that you can't take an objective within the first 3min or so, or have some way of spawning the teams a minimum distance away.
B) Random objectives, if this were truly random there could be problems with it landing in some inaccessible spot, or again in some teams spawn. As such this would probably be best if it were setup on a map by map basis (ini settings, x,y,z co-ords or something) and not just anywhere, but again that may be a coding problem.

I dunno this could be fun, thus forcing teams to switch between defending and attacking, not know which they'll be when they start, or needing to switch half way through, which would make loadout chice very important. You want that minimi to defend, but need to be mobile enough to get there, and yet still have enough ammo to fend off attackers....

Maybe this is crazy, or been though of before ... let me know.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
ini settings, x,y,z co-ords or something

This idea has been brought up before concerning DTAS and is doable. The problem comes in finding people who have and understanding of WTF they are doing to take the time and create the required co-ords to put in the ini. Then to test it to see of their are problems.

Timer is not a problem.

Good ideas and variations on other topics but still well worth discussing.

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
So what we need is more DOM maps with lots of control points, and a mut to randomly select one. Use in conjunction with RTS and we're good. Is there a way of setting it up so that to capture you only need to be within x distance of the capture point to take it? That way it can be more like secure an area. (ie if there are hostiles with x distance it isn't secure ergo no points for you :D)

Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
I see many problems with this(Psychomorph's idea):
1) Some people will join in mid-mission, and not have fully experienced the 'story'
2) Weapon selection and ammo restocking would have to be 'eliminated', perhaps not for defenders
3) Whats the point with 3 maps, other than different lighting?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@Derelan:
1) Supporting troops not always joint the battles from beginning. It wouln´t be that important cuz it is about fun to play (not about the fun starting from beginning). After some time playing those missions you will know anyway. And if you join, the objectives are displayed and the current mission part.
The missions could have special names like the US operations mostly have.

2) Dunno, what ever is needed.

3) It was just an example. A mission could contain a dynamical movement forward, for example on a street (Road to Kandahar). Where the same map (location) can´t be used, cuz it plays at the same place, but not exact the same location. Missions splitted in maps could have smaller maps.

The Mostar mission example could have just the one map, but different objectives and as you said, different lightnings.

Burger

Lookin' down the iron-sights...
Aug 9, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Crowze said:
Domination with one control point.

How about one point, but each team have to make their way to the centre of the map and secure the place. I.e. player makes his way to a room, and has to activate the security doors, and flush out the attackers who are locked in. Team who gets in, and secures the base wins. Best out of three.

If RTK can make it that both the attacker and defender can pick up the CD, then this could work, right?

Just an idea.