Mirror's Edge Editor... Found?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
U

Unregistered

maybe a solution for vista users

What the ****! That's insane lmao. :D
But really, does it work like it should? Do you have access to critical gameplay actors, and kismet nodes?

I wonder if people can do that with Vegas 2? They have some really dumb stuff going on, like if you add a the "-editor" shortcut to the game executable, it tells you fatal error, and to contact some local ubisoft staff with his name displayed. :lol:

The message says "You are not running the editor from X:\Perforce, This may lead to problems. Please update your shortcut. The editor will be closed. If you have any question, contact Bruno Bellavance."

Vista users
run cmd as administrator
type-> subst x: "c:\Program Files\ubisoft" [enter]
this makes drive X: that path
then type-> x: [enter]
then type->mklink /D Perforce "rainbow six vegas 2" [enter]
this makes a symbolic link to x:\Perforce for the directory "rainbow six vegas 2"

now you have x:\Perforce to run the editor from

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
anyone tried it on the last remnant?
BTW, it probably makes a difference if it's a Steam copy of any given game.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Really great discovery. I wonder what can someone expect from good custom maps; if they work at all.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Doesn't have ambient occlusion because it's built on too early of a build of UE3. The game uses "Beast" lighting, but I'm not sure how the editor interfaces with Illuminate Labs' software and so it's probably not possible to bake Beast lighting. I think some people on the forums got some lights to act similarly though.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The message says "You are not running the editor from X:\Perforce, This may lead to problems. Please update your shortcut. The editor will be closed. If you have any question, contact Bruno Bellavance."

Vista users
run cmd as administrator
type-> subst x: "c:\Program Files\ubisoft" [enter]
this makes drive X: that path
then type-> x: [enter]
then type->mklink /D Perforce "rainbow six vegas 2" [enter]
this makes a symbolic link to x:\Perforce for the directory "rainbow six vegas 2"

now you have x:\Perforce to run the editor from

Wait, you mean it works after this command?
I feel silly to ask, but how it goes different using XP?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You'll at least have to get the junction.exe, not sure if subst is in xp.

Blizzard

Apr 15, 2009
Hi guys! I'm from the on-mirrors-edge forums and have done a bit of work on the editor (in addition to the tiny little site I'm working on building to hold custom maps, tutorials, and so forth -- www.touchofrain.com/mirrors_edge).

I thought I'd drop by and say hello after hearing a bit of publicity has been building. I really hope EA doesn't hurt their community by trying to shut fan efforts down. Of course people can't host UT3 resource files publically, but I had been hoping (I've had some email correspondence with a designer at DICE) that DICE would at least allow us to redistribute the simple bitmap/XML files required to run it. Oh well. I bought UT3 specifically to play with this and haven't regretted it. :)

ambershee, I'm pretty sure I've heard about your modding efforts, and it's great to see you here. I almost think you responded to me about some questions here or in a UDN forum in regard to modding Mirror's Edge maps (or maybe doing something with UnrealScript, which I haven't been able to get working at all with Mirror's Edge). I thought I'd seen some shots of the Bioshock editor working somewhere, though they may have used a different process.

No, we won't be able to use Beast because it's an expensive external product (and apparently takes half a day or so on a render farm to generate lighting for a level). We can use the default Unreal Engine lighting, though. TdAreaLight objects work fairly well, and you can use Skylights for rough ambient lighting. I assume you could get some decent shadows from DirectionalLights, but I haven't messed with it much. Yes, Beast is the global illumination solution and is presumably why Mirror's Edge looks has such amazing baked lighting in a lot of cases.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hey, Blizzard! Thanks for coming to and joining the forums, hope you enjoy your stay here :)

U

Unregistered

Wait, you mean it works after this command?
I feel silly to ask, but how it goes different using XP?

No it doesnt work, I just thought of it and tried it out when I got home, the message goes away and then worldbuilder just sits there. So Yes it gets rid of the message, however it's looking for something else. As for XP, I dont believe XP has symbolic link support. I only know about it cause I was checking out vistas new command line tools, I googled Windows XP symbolic links right quick and came up with
http://www.shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284 from what it says there it is possible and there is even GUI's to do it. I suppose the best way to get around the x:\perforce message would be to find out where that is defined. I will try and find out some more information for rainbow six vegas 2, and post back here.

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
Why should EA want to disallow modding anyway? It adds a massive lifespan to the community of the game, if it's popular enough in the first place.

that's the point. The more eople can get out of a game through modding, the less likely they will buy the sequel if it is based on the same engine. Why buy a new game if u can get maps and mods for free in the internet?

Blizzard

Apr 15, 2009
that's the point. The more eople can get out of a game through modding, the less likely they will buy the sequel if it is based on the same engine. Why buy a new game if u can get maps and mods for free in the internet?

I would disagree. When DICE comes out with a sequel, it will almost certainly be much more polished, much better looking, and featuring much more content than users can easily create unless the community really takes off. Not to mention, modding/maps keeps interest going in games.

I mean, I'm probably more involved in this with anyone, and I'll certainly be picking up the sequel...especially since the sequel is PLANNED TO COME WITH A LEVEL EDITOR. Which means DICE doesn't really believe that people won't want to buy sequels, presumably. :)

And one could make the same argument about piracy. Presumably lots of people can simply torrent Mirror's Edge for free. Why would you buy a new game if you can get it for free on the internet? Some who care about legality and supporting DICE will buy the game (I did, and will almost certainly buy sequels). Others will pirate like they always do.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
MOnster Madness says on the box it ships with the editor, but a letter I I re-recieved said due to a glitch it didnt get included, maybe this could be tried with monster madness.