Mini review: Chaser (PC)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Well, I hadn't heard a thing about this game so it sertainly was a sleeper hit. www.chasergame.com for screenshots etc.

So, basically it is a FPS done with CloakNT engine set in future 2044. I'd say it is a mix of Solder of fortune, Unreal II and IGI. Huge levels, both indoors and outdoors, great effort put on details and atmosphere, great sounds (music and environment sounds), great looking characters. Enemy AI is not the worst one I have seen.
Guns, looks pretty good, as I'm no expert, won't go into nitpicking about realism. No iron-sights, standard cross point thingie.
One hit kills if in head, body hits, a few rounds if armour. One self also takes damage pretty fast so it is not too easy (I played on normal diff. level) but also not too hard so it keeps the action going. No lean which in these days can be seen strange, but once you get over that you don't really miss it. Just dodge behind stuff etc and utilize the time the enemy reloads.

The story is pretty good, with a lot of twists and turns. The level continuity is also great, i.e if you have to escape from one place, it can take a couple of levels to do so, not just one, and these levels are HUGE, absolutely monsterous, can take up to 1 hour to finish a level (Depending on how sidetracked you get). It is pretty much tunnelish game, i.e only one way to advance, but sometimes it takes an effort to find the exits, but with a bit of logic and carefull searching I had no big issues with that. (only had to resort to a walkthrou once and then also I was like standing on the spot where I was supposed to..)

Anyway, I just love this game, it is fast paced, beliable environments, lots of play time (20-30 hours I'd estimate) and most importently, it is FUN. (atleast I enjoyed it :) )

I'd score it at 88%.

//Kee

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
the demo had lovely effects when bullets hit the water, but I found it too difficult on 'easy'-setting.
Worst of all was the non-existing stealth and enemies that appeared out of nowhere and still managed to hit & see you.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Well, I guess one of the things that I enjoy about the game is that it is quite challenging. But once you get into the killing mood it gets really really enjoyable as well. Getting head shots on instinct, get to step away from enemy fire without dying etc..all exciting and fun.
Played this huuuuuuge level yesterday, very thrilled about the game.
I love the way in cut screens (done with game engine) chars and vehicles doesn't move in 90 deg angles but in smooth curvy paths. Visual effects are top notch, Mars atmosphere feels as it should (only gravity ain't feeling ok for Mars..)

The graphical detail, the arcitecture, lightning etc are all among the best I have seen in any game. And the sound track mixed with the ambient sounds is just soo great, such as the metallic tearing noice on a space station about to blow away etc...

Really a game I can recommend with no hesitation. :)

//Kee

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
Yah the levels really suprised me with this game. Its just a point and click fps when you first get started but the developers show tremendous effort with interactive levels, cut scenes, and innovation. It actually feels like its a console game. The objectives seem more important than just kill everyone on the level. So its worth checkin out, but don't give up on it based on the first level.

btw the snow was kickass

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
but that's the problem ... the level in the demo is quite possibly the worst ever invented.
There's no explanation why you're in the sewers.
There's no reason given as to why the enemy would bother to look in there and/or what makes it worth guarding ...
And ... as a result it fails to be interesting.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
I guess as it is as far as I know the first game on CloakNT engine that the developers wanted to show off and experiment with various things...like there are several different kind of environments, indoors, outdoors, underwater, winter, Mars..etc
The cut screens are top notch, among the best I have seen, completely fitting in with the levels themselves. Sid's Bar is absolutely stunning with transparent bottles etc...people in the background drunk.
Naturally, there are gameplay type of issues with a vast game like this, such as the underwater level(s) that ain't to everyones likening but the story keeps on going, logically and has a few surprises as well..
CloakNT engine is very impressive for beeing a first generation engine (as far as I know). Wonder what kind of mapping tools they'll release...

//Kee

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
*eh* any new engine had better have graphics & capabilities that matches or outclasses either Unreal-tech, half-life2 or doom3.
Too bad that most of the time that results in the Quake-syndrome (nice engine, no game) ...

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
There is plenty of game, in the full version of the game. It feels to me like a console game to the likes of the original goldeneye. Missions, story, and beautiful levels.