MGS3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PBH

Waiting for Armageddon
Jan 2, 2004
ohio
Metal Gears are The most sucessful tactical espionage games put out on the market. Does this one carry the reputation? I certainly think so and this is one of the best games to come out on ps2 this year.

PBH

Waiting for Armageddon
Jan 2, 2004
ohio
I absolutely love the fact that it’s set in the Cold War era. That adds to the plot immensely and makes it obvious from the start that Solid Snake couldn’t live 40 years or so in the past. With that said the next thing I will like to tackle is the weapons. Amazingly modeled weapons that pertain to that era make killing enemies a synch. The new feature that I think makes the game different from the last and better in many ways is that on almost all weapons even rifles you can use iron sights. In the last one you could but you couldn’t bring the m4 to your face which irritated me. Now you can use the m16 and AK goodness with precision. The newest feature which makes the game unique from almost all other games is the use of camouflage! The amounts of camos and settings are nicely textured and make the stealth in this game more intense that before. Crawling into logs or going into the wilderness at dark with black camo, finding enemies and creeping up on them with a knife is the greatest feeling anyone can and should be able to feel. You can also interrogate your prey to learn valuable information.

The only thing that I do not like is the enemy bosses. They seem to be derived from past ideas. That is my only complaint.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Do you get to spend an hour listening to stupid shit for every 10 minutes of actual gameplay?

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
It won't come out here until March :mad: Hopefully the plot won't be spoilt for me before then.

Anyway, one thing I've noticed is that in the E3 2003 trailer, when the iron sights were shown in it, there was no field of field zoom, but there is in the E3 2004 trailer. I'm not a big fan of zooming with iron sights to be honest. Is it very distracting ingame? Also, do you get to carry a PKM machinegun (I recall seeing it in the E3 2004 trailer as well)?

PBH

Waiting for Armageddon
Jan 2, 2004
ohio
There isn't a zoom feature that I'm aware of. The irons are as real as it gets. As for the PKM I'm not sure what that is. You can carry a m60 if thats it or maybe I just havent found the PKM yet.

Nathan by **** do you mean amazing plot and nice cg's? This time around they try to blend the cutscenes with gameplay.

Oh did I mention that you can man stationary guns like turrets and 50.'s. Their irons are awsome...

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
PBH- really? In the E3 2004 trailer, there's a scene in the E3 2004 trailer where Snake uses a M16A1 and when he raises it into the iron sights position, his FOV is zoomed in In that trailer, there's a scene with a DshK emplacement where the first-person view mode shows its iron sights (unzoomed) but then the player zooms them in with them whilst shooting the enemies.

Interesting, thanks for that.

Sterno

Eastern Canadien
Jan 17, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
Didnt realize that this game was already out. I loved the other metal gears and after watching the trailer for this one it looks like it will be the best yet.

While I have a ps2, any word on if it will be coming out on pc?

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Is the voice acting as horrendous as it was in the E3 trailers? Or at least an option for the original Japanese?

PBH

Waiting for Armageddon
Jan 2, 2004
ohio
I doubt It will come out on pc. As for the voice acting I didn't see the E3's so I couldn't comment. I didn't seem to mind the voices either, they all seemed to fit the character they were portraying. Sorry for spelling.