Maya Texture Problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
I have used Maya for over a year, and have run accross the problem several times. When I select a face or group of faces and do a new uv mapping the uv texture placement will not change; even though you see the manipulator tool and the faces on the UV texture editor window. The UV Texture window sometimes will not display the current texture, but instead displays a generic grey color.
I have delete history, frozen transformations, even deleted the existing faces and extruded them again. I opened the hypergraph window and looked at the input and Output connections to see if there was some odd node connection, but it all was correct. Any idea's?
Also, I just uninstalled version 5, 6 and installed version 7 of PLE. I ran the Plugin executable but for the first time ever my UT2004 export plugin will not work, or even display:p

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Never seen a single instance where that happened -- though try in this order:

1) deleting all but default lambert shader
2) Selecting your object (or faces you wish textured on that shader)
3) Clicking a new (lambert/blinn/phong/aniso) shader.

Sounds to me like its just linking your faces back to default lambert shader.

If the entire object's UV laid out correctly -- select it in Object Select mode.

devilShadow

Aug 28, 2005
are you creating a new UVset everytime you map? If your projection is creating a new UVSet, you'll see whatever texture is assigned to the active UVset.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Phopojijo, I assigned the default particleCloud1 material to the entire object, I deleted the Lambert 2 material and texture. I then added a second Lambert material and assigned a file texture to the color and applied it to the object. It made no difference at all. You can see in the screenie link the UV texture editor view on the right and the actual object uv's on the left. Unless I click the UV texture baking on/off button I don't even see the texture, just grey.
devilShadow, I have tried it both ways:p I shouldn't even need to remap the uv's, just scale them in the uv editor; but even though i can rescale them in the uv editor, the texture on the object WILL NOT SCALE:(

I have no idea if this contributes to the problem, but the model was exported out of Ued, converted to a .3ds file, converted in the stand alone .fbx, then imported into Maya.

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=uverror3yt.jpg

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
stevenhorton said:
Phopojijo, I assigned the default particleCloud1 material to the entire object, I deleted the Lambert 2 material and texture. I then added a second Lambert material and assigned a file texture to the color and applied it to the object. It made no difference at all. You can see in the screenie link the UV texture editor view on the right and the actual object uv's on the left. Unless I click the UV texture baking on/off button I don't even see the texture, just grey.
devilShadow, I have tried it both ways:p I shouldn't even need to remap the uv's, just scale them in the uv editor; but even though i can rescale them in the uv editor, the texture on the object WILL NOT SCALE:(

I have no idea if this contributes to the problem, but the model was exported out of Ued, converted to a .3ds file, converted in the stand alone .fbx, then imported into Maya.

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=uverror3yt.jpg
Never mind, I'll see if I can figure it out.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Well, I never did solve my problem. I did get 90% of what I wanted to do by exporting the pieces after deleteing all material and texture references.
I have run into another odd situation; when you export a skeletal mesh and export it into an existing package, it doesn't get added into that package. In my last two days exporting it was always placed in a new package called Default Packages. It took a few times for me to figure out what was happening:p

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
@stevenhorton -- you may have duplicate UV sets for the faces/objects that are acting oddly. if so, then you need to make sure that the active UV set is also linked to your target material/texture -- rightclik/hold on the selected faces/object, select UVsets>UV linking... if you have more than the default UVset (probably called map1) listed in the Relationship Editor that opens, then you need to link your material to that which you want to edit, and make sure it's the active UVset in the UV Texture Editor (Image>UV Sets>**select a set to edit**)

UVsets are very powerful but can also be confusing because there's a number of steps you must take in separate menus to fully activate any particular UVset for interactive editing.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
Thanks very much chip:clap: But, this brings up two more questions:p One, how am I creating more than one uv set, and how do I delete / remove the unneccessary uv sets?
I have another problem, this is copied from the Atari forums;"I have set up a vehicle for export with 2 animation clips. As you can see in the Trax editor they both have 30 frames. If you look at what is to be exported in the UT2004 Export it shows the clips as having no length.
I have read as may posts related to this problem with no resolution. As far as I can find, this problem has existed for some versions of Maya prior to version 7, and the solution was to go back to version 5. I am using PLE. Is this still a unresolvable problem, or does someone have a solution?"

Attachments

• exportError.jpg
    exportError.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
check your default settings in the various dialogs you use when doing UV projections. you may find a "Create new UV set" option (or something like) is checked. if so, a new UV set would be created every time you do a projection, but since the name isn't changed, subsequent sets would overwrite earlier ones, making it look as if only two were present, the default and the most recently created. the default (map1) can't be overwritten or deleted.

to delete a UVset, i make it the current (active) set in the UV Texture Editor, then go into the UVTE menu and use Polygons>Delete Current UV Set.

however, you don't have to delete them, you can just make them not the current set. they can be useful for some situations. i often edit UVs as separate sets so i can have different projections for various parts of an object, then consolidate them all into map1 by copying -- my experience is that only the map1 UV set is exported by the PLE exporter (don't know ActorX), so you can use Polygons>Copy UVs to UV Set to (what else) copy selected UVs to another set in the rollout, in this case map1 for exporting. increases the options when doing complex mapping.

i use Maya 5 PLE, and haven't encountered the zero clip length prob -- i seem to remember it cropping up wih Maya 6. sorry, i have no info on a resolution other than using Maya 5 PLE.

Last edited: