Mark Rein Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's easy to jump on the bandwagon and bash people when they do something wrong, or when they screw up... BigD told us how he felt, even though it took him several posts to get past his anger and tell us exactly what happened; he got there, and he rose above his anger to make an apology to the community and Epic about his behavior.
I don't know about you, but that's a big thing to me... and it's not an easy thing to do.
I posted quotes from 2 of your other responses to him that made me feel contrary to this statement;

which in itself, sounds like you got in a last dig.

We need people like you to be emissaries, not antagonists.

Even if people "whine" about something, it doesn't mean they don't deserve an answer... even if not directly... and imho, Epic has done poorly to answer any questions regarding the future of UT3 on PC, or to show any kind of interest in letting PC users know that they aren't going to have to take a seat behind PS3 and 360 users because "they're the next big thing".
I understand that listening to people using their mouths instead of their heads gets old, but that shouldn't mean that the people who use their heads get ignored as well.
As long standing fans who have backed Epic since Unreal (or as far back as UT, in my case) I think we should be entitled to some answers which are long overdue.
If we can't get past this lack of communication, we're all going to lose.
You obviously haven't been following these forums, so I would recommend that you look at BigDragon's post history over the past month or so before saying that.

We've all been more than a little aware of how he has been feeling. He's posted it in darn near every thread.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
You obviously haven't been following these forums, so I would recommend that you look at BigDragon's post history over the past month or so before saying that.

We've all been more than a little aware of how he has been feeling. He's posted it in darn near every thread.

Yes, I said that in the «BuA» section reply; I don't follow everything that gets posted in every thread on BU, so I agree I could've been wrong.
But he did apologize... and that should count for something.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It does. I hope that him apologizing means he realizes that he has been pretty abrasive lately, and that can only mean good things for everyone involved if true :)

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
You are the right person....
http://epicboards.ign.com/general_discussion/b10667/19636414/p1/?59
And I could say a lot of things about Sub and Confexia, but I have made my opinions well known in other places.

I'm sorry trouble making person what was that supposed to prove again? All I see is that I liked AS and was sticking it up for it. I don't what your point is other than trying to start a fight with me publicly which is very childish and immature. If you were arguing with me before and it died and went away why on earth would you feel compelled to start it up again? That seems to immature and makes no sense at all. But anyway like I said I don't know what your point was other than you and I did not see eye to eye on a topic. Obviously that link shows I like the AS gametype.

Edit: Oh yeah now I remember you and those other two folks who were trying to tell me that I don't know what a good AS map just because I don't play online ... I remember this argument well now ... and I still stand by everything I said. Now I don't know why you would want to rehash this argument considering it did get kind of nasty but hey I am always up for a good fight ... I thought you knew that by now. So I tell you what since you started this crap with me why don't you just let it go before it gets out of hand like it did before. No need to have this thread get locked because you decided to resurrect an argument that is years old. So lets agree to disagree and whether we respect eachother's opinions or not let it go. I have my opinions and you have yours and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum so we are never going to agree or even be cordial with one another so you really don't need to say anything further to me. I am going to add you to my ignore list as the mods say this is the first step a person should take. After that if you keep up the crap with me and continue to show that you just want to start trouble I will let the mods decide what to do. I don't have time to argue about the same thing again ... that is just plain foolishness.

One thing I did find funny is that the thread mentioned Conquest ... see even back then Epic was talking up Conquest and really leading us to believe it was going to be the next major breakthrough for team play.

Last edited:

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
I am all for having this whole thing put into the past. I've danced around the issue of apologizing, but since you're trying to get Wartourist's attention I'll say this:

I apologize for my coaster comment and the virulent tone, negative attitude, and excessive impatience I had when commenting on patch 2 at the Epic forums. I made a poor choice of words and let the frustration of my experiences with both UT3 and Gears get the better of me. I made the initial mistake, yes, and I welcome Wartourist/Epic to join me in putting this issue behind us. I offer this comment as a hand out in good faith that we can move on, and I can only hope that the gesture is returned so that we can shake and put this in the past.

So now you do want to be part of the Epic community and come back and make maps for UT3? Wow don't get me wrong I am glad to hear that but after everything you have said it seems hard to swallow almost. If you are really serious my friend you should lose that avatar pronto. Actions speak louder than words ... you know what I mean. Anyway welcome back I guess ... I'm just confused but I do hope that you get back in. You have to realize you really were going off there for a while and it seemed like you didn't care if Epic ever let you back on the forums or not. You did talk up Crysis and how good their mods and community is ... I don't man ... but good luck with that.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
Damn, some of you have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have been banned from the Epic Forums and why. Post #79 above is a classic example of the current community mentality when it comes to complaints.

What about my post? Hm? All i'm stating is that you can't be not heard of again, if you were never heard in the first place. If the community has that mentality than maybe epic shouldn't have set themselves up into that position.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
What about my post? Hm? All i'm stating is that you can't be not heard of again, if you were never heard in the first place. If the community has that mentality than maybe epic shouldn't have set themselves up into that position.
Sorry, I wasn't singling you out personally, just using your post as an example.

BigDragon

Jan 20, 2008
Reston, VA
So now you do want to be part of the Epic community and come back and make maps for UT3? Wow don't get me wrong I am glad to hear that but after everything you have said it seems hard to swallow almost. If you are really serious my friend you should lose that avatar pronto. Actions speak louder than words ... you know what I mean. Anyway welcome back I guess ... I'm just confused but I do hope that you get back in. You have to realize you really were going off there for a while and it seemed like you didn't care if Epic ever let you back on the forums or not. You did talk up Crysis and how good their mods and community is ... I don't man ... but good luck with that.
I never said any of that. All I did was extend an offer to put all this in the past and halt the relentless attacking. Offers have to be responded to for them to mean anything. Even if they did apologize and unban me it's unlikely I'd ever post anything else on their forums again nor switch off the sandbox editor to go back to the unreal editor.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
I never said any of that. All I did was extend an offer to put all this in the past and halt the relentless attacking. Offers have to be responded to for them to mean anything. Even if they did apologize and unban me it's unlikely I'd ever post anything else on their forums again nor switch off the sandbox editor to go back to the unreal editor.

Okay bro I totally see what you are saying now it was just confusing through so many posts that was all. :) But still don't you think you should dump the avatar if you really are being sincere about burying the hatch and putting this behind you completely? I mean seeing that everytime you log on here can't be good for your psyche can it? And man seriously I do wish you could and would come back to the community ... we really need all the cool modders we can get that have been around for a little while at least. It seems like every day that goes by that place is less and less as much fun.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?

Hey man, take some time and think this thru... you know as well as I do that this community needs support.
We may not all get along all the time, but we're all part of the same community.
So I hope that you'll take some time to cool down, and then decide to dabble in both sandbox and UEd... we need mappers and modders.

Though I hate to say it; it seems to me that no questions will be answered here, by Epic reps either... I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not.

So what do we do now? They don't answer here, they don't answer there... outside of staging a protest in front of Epic's headquarters, I don't know how else to get answers...

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Epic doesn't have to respond to hear what you are saying. One needs only look at the patch changelogs to see that the voices of dissent ARE being heard.

It seems like most people here would be happy if Epic never said anything again for 6 months while they worked on some mega patch. That sounds ridiculous, but it's true. UT3 is where it is right now, it's released, it needs fixes. But if Epic just stalls all releases for some patch that fixes everything, then quickly the community that IS active will disappear.

«BuA»Lurker_71

Thë Möñkëÿ Kïñg
Dec 15, 2002
Wha?
Epic doesn't have to respond to hear what you are saying. One needs only look at the patch changelogs to see that the voices of dissent ARE being heard.

It seems like most people here would be happy if Epic never said anything again for 6 months while they worked on some mega patch. That sounds ridiculous, but it's true. UT3 is where it is right now, it's released, it needs fixes. But if Epic just stalls all releases for some patch that fixes everything, then quickly the community that IS active will disappear.

Well, me personally; I like to know what's going on... but I get your point.
I guess one way of getting around being in the dark would be to get on their mailing list... anyone know how to do that?

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
It does not take long to make a post. If you don't keep people informed, they will quickly lose faith. Especially when you look at the "beta" demo and game that was released, updates are even more needed.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
But part of the problem isn't that Epic is silent, it's that they are silent on the things that are breaking this community. Like all the interviews stating their love for consoles, Cliffyb saying PC's are now secondary. These comments are heartbreaking to some of us who have been with them from the beginning. These comments only reinforce the argument of the PC version being incomplete in many ways. I remember being told that the PC version was their top priority and we had nothing to worry about. Can you argue that you truly feel they meant this after seeing what was released pre-patch? Add Mark Reign implying PC games are too fast and my heart sank. FPS's on the console are not the same. Frankly controllers suck in my opinion, yet one of my favorite developers keeps talking up their PS3 version and speaking about the "superiority" of consoles. Frankly, when was the last time you heard Epic REALLY talk up the PC VERSION without referencing the ability of the community to make mods. I'm really starting to feel that the only reason we got a PC version was so we can cook mods for the PS3 version...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You are forgetting two things.

1) Mark Rein is an old dude and can't handle the heart racing, heart pumping action of UT on the PC.

2) All of these things were said personally, not as Epic. It's not like CliffyB or Mark Rein said "Epic is refocusing our corporate mentality to console development." He just said "I like shooters on console better these days because they aren't as fast."

Oh, and a fun third...

3) Epic employees have already responded to the points you have made on these very forums.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
I like playing consoles games, but playing a first-person shooter on consoles is complicated and annoying.

I loved Goldeneye on the N64, but playing Goldeneye: Source (HL2 mod) or the yet-to-be-released Goldeneye: 00-Heaven mod (Crysis and perhaps UT3 mod) is much easier and more fun.

I don't mind playing third person games on console, however.