Mapping for 2.9 and using the new actors

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

{GD}The One

TBuildT Mapper
Feb 26, 2002
NJ, USA
www.planetunreal.com
I started writing a guide months ago until I learned that Sentry would be releasing a detailed guide. However, here it is for now until that is released, it is not all inclusive and it may not be all correct as it is how I perceived and learned to use the new actors, not necessarily how they were intended to be used. Hope it helps somewhat.

Mapping for Infiltration; EAS game type

Assumptions: I assume that you know the basics of UeD2 and are capable of creating a playable map for UT or Infiltration.

Goal: This essay is meant to be a supplement to the mapping guide created by the Infiltration development team currently located at ????. I will attempt to explain in detail how to use the new actors included with Infiltration 2.90 in order to accomplish specific goals.

Overview: A set of new actors will be introduced with EAS in order to facilitate actors being specific to certain objectives. Each objective can have one or more goals to complete in order to proceed to the next objective. An objective and/or goal may be necessary to complete in order to win the round. It also may be assigned to the attackers or defenders (Attackers are team 1, the red team, while defenders are team 0, the blue team). As you can see, this is meant to be very dynamic and allow freedom of creativity to the level designer. I will show various examples of how to implement these actors in the essay to follow.

In a large map it would become tedious as an attacker to have to work your way across vast areas only to die close to an objective and spawn as reinforcements all the way at the insertion point or original spawn point. It may also be convenient to spawn the defender team close to a primary objective in the beginning of a map, but have reinforcements spawn further back in later objectives. Instead of adding normal player starts, add EAS player starts found in Actor>NavigationPoint>Playerstart>INFg_EASPlayerstart. Set this player start to the team you wish, 0 for defenders or 1 for attackers, and set the objective ID located under properties>EAS>ObjectiveID to correspond with the active objective you wish it to correspond to. For instance, ObjectiveID 0, default, is from first spawn until the first objective is completed. ObjectiveID 1 would be active (players would spawn at this one) from completion of the first objective until the completion of the second objective and so forth. Remember to set the properties>EAS>objectiveID in the goal actor as well to correspond to the playerstarts and its order in completing the mission (0,1,2,…).
That was the easy part. Now you may be thinking, OK, I have players spawning in a new area but no sniper actors or INFg_EASTeamBlockedPath (explained in more detail later in the tutorial) to prevent bots from wandering in or players from spawn camping. Have no fear there are a number of ways to deal with this and I will explain two of them.
· Easy: Place actor>Keypoint>EASObstruct>EASSniper as you normally would in the new spawn area but change a couple of its settings as follows; Properties>EAS>bActive to false (this means it wont be shooting players from the beginning of the round until it is triggered). Properties>Events>tag to correspond with a triggers event. If this sniper is to become active when an objective is completed simply set the goal actor’s event to correspond with it.
· Difficult: Add a vehicle to the map and set it up to follow a mover or path as you normally would. It should start inside the initial spawn area because you’re going to attach a sniper actor to it. It should stop and stay at the new spawn area once it becomes active. Add a sniper actor near the vehicle and position it as you wish (where the shots will come from) and change its properties>movement>AttachTag to correspond with the vehicles tag.
It is possible that you do not want to have multiple objectives but you do want progressive player starts. In this case you’re still going to have multiple objectives but you can create a simple one-goal objective just for the purpose of advancing the playerspawns. If the area where the new spawn points will be is already zoned off then this will make it easier but if not it is ok. Add a cube around the new spawn area by de-intersecting in added space and then add special>zone portal. This cube does not have to hollow and it will create a new zone surrounding the new spawn area. *If the area is large do not create a huge cube and add, rather create a small one large enough for a player to stand in at the center of the area. Once a player from the team trying to complete this objective touches space inside this zone it will be completed. To do this add an actor>Info>Zoneinfo>AreaGoalZoneInfo to the new zone and set its properties>EAS>AreaID to a number that hasn’t been used yet for an areaID, O is fine if this is your only area goal. Now, you should add an actor>INF_GameObjects>EASGoal>InvadeArea actor to the new zone. Set its properties>EAS>AreaID to correspond with the AreaGoalZoneInfo you just added. Also, set its ObjectiveID to one that is lower then the final objectives. If you only had one objective to start with you will need to change its ObjectiveID to 1 from 0 for each of its goal actors so you may use 0 for the new objective. You should also set goal messages and any other variable you wish as normal.
If you were to set up the goals as explained here alone there would be no need to complete the first objective of securing the forward spawn point as you could skip it and complete the mission by completing the main objectives you had already set-up (or plan to set-up). If this is your intention then leave it, the value of completing this goal objective would simply be the benefit of a forward spawn point for reinforcements. However, if you would like to force the applicable team to complete one goal or objective first you must make changes in the settings to follow. In the goal you wish to be completed first (in this example the invadearea) set its event to something individual and then set properties>EAS>TriggerGoalActivation to correspond to it in the goal actor’s properties you wish to become active. Also set properties>EAS>bActive to false in the goal you wish to become active’s properties so it will not be accessable until it is triggered by the completion of the first goal. This can be done with any trigger.

*EDIT* If you need a visual example, I used the "Easy" method of activating a sniper actor post first objective in Jerusalem. Please open the map UeD2 and look at the sniper actor located inside the dome of the rock in the middle of the map. It is set to activate once the attackers have completed their first goal and secured the dome, but not before so defenders can enter and try to stop them.
As for the difficult method, please refer to Arid, I included a chopper with a sniper actor attached which hovers above the original spawn, once the first objective is complete it moves to the new spawn area and brings the sniper actor with it to defend the new spawns.
I am sure other maps use these methods but I cant refer you to them since I am not sure about them not having done it myself.

~Nate

Last edited:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
I tried to convert Nightwater (for private use, cause it is not mine).
But I can not add a TimeTriggerGoal, I can add this Actor on Tuscany e.g. but not on DM-INF-NightWater (renaming it to EAS did not work). I created a big cube and tried to add it there, did not work ...
Please help a newbie who just wants to convert a great map. (I hope this is not OT)

{GD}The One

TBuildT Mapper
Feb 26, 2002
NJ, USA
www.planetunreal.com
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? There is an EASTrigger goal and a TimedCaptureGoal but I dont know of a Timed trigger goal. Maybe if you explain what you want the goal to be I can tell you how to do it.

~Nate

RaekwoN

Infiltration Level Designer
Aug 5, 1999
Melbourne, Australia
Mat - check your log in Unreal Ed. It will tell you if it's throwing an error when you're trying to place it. To view it, it's the page icon in the bottom bar of the editor. It sounds like you're getting the old "Actor doesn't fit here" treatment from UeD.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Hell yes!
It worked today, but I did not change anything. :D
I want to use the button --> you have to press it for ... seconds, then the existing rocked launching process will be started, so at all a very easy job (one of my objective-ideas :) , no I did not had to think long :D ).

And thank you for your help. :)

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Does anyone know anything about this official eas mapping tutorial ? I'd really like to see this, since i'm currently trying to figure out (without great success) how all these new actors work. TheOne, are you planning on making more tutorials like this one ? Any help on 2.9 new actors would be welcome.

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Raekwon said he'll release the tutorial sometime in the coming days, might be in the beginning of january. In the meantime, if you have questions about EAS mapping, ask away in the forums or IRC.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Thanks guys, but there would be too many questions right now. I'll just try to figure the basics by myself, and only when this tutorial is out i'll experiment some more ambitious things. I do have a quick question though, as i already have a few ideas in mind: it is possible to make the laptop not appear on the compass for both teams, or better, for either one of the teams?

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
ant75 said:
Thanks guys, but there would be too many questions right now. I'll just try to figure the basics by myself, and only when this tutorial is out i'll experiment some more ambitious things. I do have a quick question though, as i already have a few ideas in mind: it is possible to make the laptop not appear on the compass for both teams, or better, for either one of the teams?

that would be useless because people would learn the map and know where the laptop is.unless you make a random placed laptop.

and on a side note : NO MORE LAPTOPS DAMMIT ! :D

thanks to freon , i have some help :) ill try to make objectives never seen in any EAS maps for the moment.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
ant75 said:
Is it possible to make the laptop not appear on the compass for both teams, or better, for either one of the teams?

I think it is in some way [had a bug in a map where there was no GPS marker for an objective], but as Don said, that'll only be of use when you let the laptop spawn at randomly selected places [which is also possible].

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
That's the whole idea, the objective would be spawned at random places in a map, one of the team would know where and the other would have to discover it.