1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Make Something Unreal Best Graphics in Map category

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Jul 31, 2009.

1. SmokeRingHalo

SmokeRingHalo Reigning King of DM/CTF Mapping

First of all, that's highly subjective to say that HOLP maps have great gameplay.
    Some do, some don't. The HOLP label doesn't necessarily or automatically mean greatness of gameplay in a map.
    Secondly the "best map" categories judge on gameplay first, above looks. 'Best Graphics" category judge solely on looks. (What part of this don't you understand?)
    Those entries that win 'best map' because of their gameplay qualities are also the best looking maps usually and have a far better chance of winning both, imo. It's not absolutely certain by any means, nothing is, but I'd stick with playing the odds.

2. SmokeRingHalo

SmokeRingHalo Reigning King of DM/CTF Mapping

Here's a quote from Jim Brown, Epic's lead level designer on level design feedback from phase II.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=657261

3. Cr4zyB4st4rd

Cr4zyB4st4rd I make awesome ©

tl;dr

I didn't start the conversation...

Apparently i can't have an opinion, and the fact that no CBP3 maps are used competitively (that i know of) kinda backs up the point..

4. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

Graphics vs Gameplay vs Why Can't It Be Both. Serious business.

5. Ignotium

Ignotium Que hora es?

Cause it's quite easier to make a map look "good" (or should I say "impressive") than to make a map play great. There are many factors involved into making a map good to play, which at the same time is not necessarily fun, there's a lot of stuff that you have to understand and so on.

For some reasons, this bring flashes of the 3DBuzz contest and how badly people started to flame, bash and practically insult them after they posted their results. hmmmmmmmm

6. Sjosz

Sjosz (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'll go and disagree with you here, since making a level look good is as respectable and hard work as making something play well, or make something fun.
    It's kind of a moot discussion point to claim the need to make a category for just gameplay, especially as people will easily disagree over what is more fun. What works well for competitive play does not necessarily equal fun and non-competitively played levels are not bad levels because of it. Some people call originality in gameplay elements gimmicks because they're used to 100% static environments for the sake of compatibility with competitive play, and some people find levels built for competitive play boring because they do not contain innovation on the gameplay front. Whoever is in the business of picking finalists and winners from the submission has a job I would not want to do, because taking all of that in account and then making a call what you deem fair (no matter how many indignant, insulted or otherwise annoyed responses come from it) is not an easy thing to do.

Out comes the drama llama.

7. M.A.D.X.W

M.A.D.X.W Active Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

8. raziel31

raziel31 Active Member

Well, thats just your opinion, i think twice can be difficult ;) imo

9. Mozi

Mozi Zer0 as a number

Here we go again!

Graphics vs. Gameplay FIGHT!
    :catfight:

10. Bi()ha2arD

Bi()ha2arD Toxic!

/me hides

11. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

I only played Oztoc and Stratus in those lists. Good job everyone anyway! D:

12. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Ideally a level has a good balance of gameplay and graphics. There are times, however, when you want to lean more heavily one way or the other and I think that all have their merits and all have particular audiences.

I always loved downloading levels from authors like Angelheart and Scarface because it was fun to just explore the spaces they created. Screenshots from these maps all but demand a download and authors deserve to be rewarded for the painstaking work they've put into them.

I love HOLP-style maps that are simple, clean and fun. I appreciate authors that take time to carefully balance a level and the items within. Elaborate decoration isn't typically desired by people that like this kind of level and as a result they tend to look less impressive... and don't generally win awards.

Some maps strike a good balance and while they might not be attractive to the hardcore crowd, they appeal to the widest audience. This is typically a more "retail-ready" approach and one that Epic seems to favor.

So why NOT have a category that focuses more on gameplay? If it's okay to do with graphics, then why isn't the other end of the spectrum okay? I'm a fan of them all and others are as well.