M.I.A.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

gnrlspecific

Nov 6, 2009
Great work on Beyond Unreal my friend. I must agree that the lack of news on anything Unreal from Epic is discouraging. I believe there is still hope. The Epic games website still has an Unreal Tournament link in its community page and surely they must be working on something to blow our minds when the new engine drops. Many forums have posts relating to the Unreal universe and with any luck someone from Epic is seeing how much many of us wish for a new Unreal game of some sort.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
I've been absent myself, just reading this now. 10-15 years ago I was a die hard Unreal fan d/l'ing whatever map & mod I can get my hands on. I even stuck with the borken gameplay of UT2004, pretty much the only game I've played onmy old PC. But after getting it upgraded a few years ago I was able to play more recent games, which sad to say were better than what Epic has put out recently. Not to mention I've lost interest in a mod I was working on as well. Plus there's not really much UE3 based games coming out and if there were I can read about them on other sites.

So this may be my last post here, though maybe something else would bring me back here I'm removing the bookmark from my browser. So thank you Hal and everyone else at BU for all the great memories and discussion and arrivederci

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
I miss the good old days. I'm a huge fan of Unreal. I just wonder if there will ever be a game like Unreal and UT again. UT3 didn't cut it for me, UT2003, the same, UT2004 was a good game. I loved this site, it had a good community and was a blast too play with some of them in UT. I have nostalgia whenever I think of Unreal, and the reason why I keep visiting BeyondUnreal, even though I do not post a lot. Maybe this site needs a new direction but it can still be a great site.

We just need a new Unreal game, that has an EPIC single player campaign, and coop, no BS stuff, and build it for the PC in mind first. No cheap ports.

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
/salutes

hal, I owe you a beer (as do the rest of the users of BU).

The sad thing is, Epic just aren't the developer they were ten years ago. They've lost control of their own destiny and they've lost a lot of the talent as well.

Epic have lost their way and have fundamentally given up on Unreal. The sole hope of a new game is if Epic go under and the IP gets bought up by another developer.

raziel31

Nov 25, 2003
South F.
Visit site
Gratz for all the articles !
I had great moments playing and mapping for UT with all my buddies ;)
Wait for UT4 and some more tentacles ! :B

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
If we revive the Nali... I think the world will become a better place! Forever nali.

I think the time is ripe for a new Unreal game. (I don't mean a new Unreal Tournament game.)

Agreed. They need to make something of their original game. At this point (15 years later) I could imagine they could definitely bring about a huge resurgence of fans if they developed something. However it wouldn't be easy, as the old game pattern no longer stands. Can't have 51 maps and massive amounts of gameplay like they used to, too much goes into attention to detail.

We will see what they manage to do if they do anything at all. I think Unreal 4 engine is a good chance though to revitalize Epic as a game design company rather than strictly an engine company (Sorry I can't play games only made for consoles, I don't own a console, so to me Epic is only an engine company).

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
If we revive the Nali... I think the world will become a better place! Forever nali.

Agreed. They need to make something of their original game. At this point (15 years later) I could imagine they could definitely bring about a huge resurgence of fans if they developed something. However it wouldn't be easy, as the old game pattern no longer stands. Can't have 51 maps and massive amounts of gameplay like they used to, too much goes into attention to detail.

We will see what they manage to do if they do anything at all. I think Unreal 4 engine is a good chance though to revitalize Epic as a game design company rather than strictly an engine company (Sorry I can't play games only made for consoles, I don't own a console, so to me Epic is only an engine company).
To be honest I don't think it's wise to reintroduce the Nali again. That new game would have to be on Na Pali in that case, and there's only so much you can do there without it becoming a cliche, unless we talk about a reboot and not a sequel. I planned out myself how Unreal 3 would be good, perhaps still use unreal engine 3 but the latest revisions which don't really lack behind if you execute it right. The thing is for it to work it needs to be more inventive AND also bring back some good stuff from the past but not too much. I think Unreal 2 was a bit extreme at that and the game ended up being nothing like it was meant to be (still it wouldnt have that many ties with the original but at same time provide enough familiarity). The thing is also to make stuff feel really evolved/changed. I believe if Unreal was made acording to the plans it would be more of a better successor to original doom than quake ever was. For Unreal 3 I believe it should be less of the "drama"focus and more focus on the exploration.
As for this site, there were number of mods/news ignored lately, early this year i've put out the "Unreal PSX rework episode 1 part 1" stuff, though it wasn't covered in the news here. I remember even a few years ago there was news posted regarding a relatively random unreal mod. Oh and not to forget last year's illhaven 2012 news too.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
As for this site, there were number of mods/news ignored lately, early this year i've put out the "Unreal PSX rework episode 1 part 1" stuff, though it wasn't covered in the news here. I remember even a few years ago there was news posted regarding a relatively random unreal mod. Oh and not to forget last year's illhaven 2012 news too.

Well, we need someone that's active in that area to post things like that; someone that knows just about everything going on in the Unreal "universe". One of those people used to be me and I'm just not around much right now and no one has stepped up.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Well, we need someone that's active in that area to post things like that; someone that knows just about everything going on in the Unreal "universe". One of those people used to be me and I'm just not around much right now and no one has stepped up.
What about someone like neonite? He started becoming a bit more active lately but not sure if he would write news. I think he would be able to write news about mods for the old titles though..

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
yeah mah-fuckin' MIA up in this bitch.
see? I knew BuF wasn't dead. it's totally trending with what's hip amongst the youthful in-crowd.

[m]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoNzxDfKDys[/m]

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
yeah mah-fuckin' MIA up in this bitch.
see? I knew BuF wasn't dead. it's totally trending with what's hip amongst the youthful in-crowd.

hurr??? I've been avidly enjoying M.I.A. ever since her debut album...

edit: nevermind, for a second I got a "currently listening" flashback...

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
buf aren't even youthful anymore, they just don't know how to speak words.

It's like, "duh, I don't know how to speak", only it doesn't sound like that, it sounds like "nothing"

or,

like,

and,

fucking retards. And then you get a bomblast of political bullshit in the OT that doesn't benefit anybody.

Last edited: