Lotus Elise

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM

UncleOsmov

The beauty of AWD!
Mar 20, 2002
Chicaaago
I'm excited, the Lotus will be a unique car in the US market. I don't know if there are any other models that small but still have 190 bhp.

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
Wish I lived in the US. Cars cost a ****load of money up here in Finland and it really pisses me off. A car like that is something I don't even dare to dream about. Sigh. /Rant

Oh well, looks pretty sweet anyways.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
that car is going to be killer... its already considered the 2nd best handling production car in the world next to a ferrari. Pair that with mid 12sec quarter miles and you have a car that will TEAR UP the road. Its in the price range of 30-40k, and you have some serious performance value. Its a cobra killer with 190hp! heheh ohh yeah and a rex killer. :p Toyota power plant reliability to boot(because they couldnt get the current engine to pass increased smog laws). Its going to be light as a feather and one badass car.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
Here is a road and track article

The bottom line is that the new Elise is arguably the most exciting sports car in the world to drive...

In our evaluation of the world's best-handling cars, the previous 160-bhp model ranked second behind the Ferrari 360 Modena and won the objective performance category.

The Elise runs to 60 mph in a claimed 4.8 seconds, with the quarter-mile mark coming at about 12.0 sec. Top speed is estimated at 141 mph.

THe amazing thing is, this car is almost affordable in the US. How can you not buy a 39,000$ sports car that is the second best sports car in the world!?!?!?!? This is really exciting IMO, and I'm suprised others here aren't enthusiastic about such a low priced world class sports car.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=868&page_number=1&preview=

Last edited:

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
I think I'd rather have the US version with the toyota powerplant. It has air conditioning, stereo, and other things that make it more of a daily driver. Not to mention you can't beat toyota reliability/durability.

I'd be interested in knowing the actual numbers that the 2.0l powerplant produce on the street. Power isn't everything, it has a different transmission and gear ratios so it doesn't necessarily mean its faster. Ohh, and they also upgraded the suspension/tuned it for this powerplant.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
sublime said:
A guy I know on the Audi borads has already put down his deposit. I get a ride and maybe a drive when he gets it. Maybe I can steal it.

heheh well if you get a ride in it by yourself you should be able to get away ;P

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
as i recall, it doesn't boast that high of a top speed. the 0-60 is decent though, and the handling is apparently one of the best in the world. the price tag isn't bad... but you could pick up something used and probably get more bang for your buck depending on how you look at it. the 12 second 1/4 is very very nice though. my car makes 190bph and does it in 14 something. so thats like two seconds for um.. 30k more than what i spent on a maxima.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
you could get a used lotus carlton/omega for that, that would definately beat the elise in the speed department same acceleration but it tops out at 280km/h in it's standard version. The factory specs state it's only 0.1 second slower from 0-60mph but the top is much higher. Then again the engine outputs 377Bhp standard.

You should be able to pick up a decent one for about 25k

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
I dont see any of those cars on par with the handling of the elise.... Of course you can always buy used vehicles, but thats not a fair comparison. Apples n oranges as they say. New car for new car, the elise is a serious package for the money.

As I remember the 190hp maxima I had pulled around a quarter in 14.9-15.1. 12.0-12.5 is an eternity away from that at a strip. People spend tons of money on lless than 2 second gains. What about the price of a new maxima? They're a wee bit closer to the Elise price, and then you'll put it in the ditch tryin to keep up with one on a real road.

UncleOsmov

The beauty of AWD!
Mar 20, 2002
Chicaaago
Gnat's right perhaps the only cars that will be able to keep up with the Elise on real roads would be Ferrai's and the new Boxster S, which I believe currently holds the fastest slalom speed of any car R & T has tested. It's going to feel like a go-kart in comparison to 4 door sports sedans.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
GNAT said:
What about the price of a new maxima? They're a wee bit closer to the Elise price, and then you'll put it in the ditch tryin to keep up with one on a real road.
Yeah, but at least you'll be in the ditch while comfortably seating four adults :)

I love the Maxima. It was a close second behind my Bonneville on the list of family-sized cars I looked at.

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
well you're talking qt's... thats pretty straightline... don't need much in the way of handling. i didn't say necessarily go maxima.. but you could get a really jacked m5 or 540 that could do some decent qt's.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
Chow Yun-Fat: Yeah, or you could spend maybe $5k on a Mustang 5.0 and get low 12s. Or we could spend the next ten years listing out all the cars that could be built or bought used for less money and perform better in one area.

But the point is, none of these mentioned cars have the total performance package that the Elise has - acceleration, braking, handling, etc. Factor in the low price (for a supercar) and factory warranty, and the Elise is one hell of a deal. Considering that it's in the price range of a 350Z Track, it's a frikken steal.

Not my cup of tea, per se, but still a great car at an even better price.

Matthew

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
I'm not just talking qts, each and every post mentioned the handling on level with that of the modena. That coupled with the acceleration performance makes the car remarkable for the money.

Big_duke, exactly.

Ranger 223

MS Paint Pimp
May 26, 2002
Gnat, this car will in no way be an everyday driver. Im stoked about this car. Im not one for toyota's engines. personally, i think a volkswagon VR6 engine in there would be pretty fun :) (a great engine) My favorite car still goes to the 2003 BMW M5. After driving that, every car i have ever been in is inferior. Now to drive an elise. If your a racer like me, top speed isnt the real big deal, it's about how fast you get to that speed. This car's got handling, and acceleration, and awesome braking. Thats what you need if you do real racing (none of that quartermaile crap which this thing kicks ass in, or nascar ovals)

Ranger 223

MS Paint Pimp
May 26, 2002
oh BTW, i get pictures developed of me at the track in a few nice cars. I'll get em up ASAP. best drive of the day was the RX8. hands down that car is awesome.

Last edited: