Little rant on grenades.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Blackhound

Aug 27, 2004
One thing I noticed that always seemed to anger me in the most awkward of ways is a very simple concept I don't believe many people will have a hard time grasping.

Wind doesn't effect grenades.

This may not seem like a big issue to some, but if someone were to think about it long enough they may realize on very windy maps it could add a new element of tact overlooked in our beloved U2XMP. There are a few others, besides myself, whom I've spoken with who noticed this odd quirk, as in U2XMP all other non-projectile particles were heavily effected by wind speed and direction. Often I've been in sandstorms, watching the colorful mists from the artifact node and artifacts carried by players whipping around and blowing off like little wispy clouds, just before the node were heavily blanketed by thick smoke and gas. The smoke and gas has always stuck around in the most unrealistic of fashions, leaving much to be desired in the ways of sensible implementation of such powerful tools.

Not only would clouds of smoke have to be carefully aimed and positioned in open, windy maps, but this may also pose a possible compromise for all the players whom constantly hound for the reduction in the gas grenade's power. If the gas were to not hang about in one place, but floating more freely about and even flooding through hallways and out doorways to be carried away by the winds, it would become a tool requiring more skill to master. Usage in wide open spaces would require more canisters for proper effect, and would even require the same planning as proper smoke cover.

This would obviously require an entire overhaul of the two grenade systems, and is no easy task. New particle scripts would have to be written, and perhaps smoke and gas grenades would need to be given a slow, constant emission, while they expel their contents. More particles would also need to be emitted, but could provide for a more valuable piece of hardware, with complex actions such as flowing clouds (perhaps even a little sliding and bouncing, to aid in their movement through halls and help simulate a bellowing source pushing it's contents outward). This would also provide a better dissipation, instead of the abrupt disappearance there currently is in U2XMP.

As a note, incendiary, concussion, and fragmentation grenades work so fast they would not even need to be touched, leaving only those other two ammunition types desiring such improvements.

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
I always wondered who was smoking crack when they decided that ranger smoke would be affected by wind, but not tech gas... Good post.

Bleeder

Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Yes, ranger smoke is affected. Fire up Sirocco, go blue, fire ranger smoke at node... watch.

EDIT: Wind was sort of a stupid thing they added to the game, probably to make it look cool... Unfortunately nothing but ranger smoke and arti smoke seems to be affected by it. I cannot gain any extra distance boost/mine/cg/slope jumping into the wind versus against it... My vote: take wind effects out unless you can actually make everything obey physics.

Last edited:

PRG

XMP Beta Tester
Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
Actually, The particle blowers on say Sirocco(sic) do ameliorate the effects of gas and smoke. The clouds do disappate quicker. The wind is done way of an actor called a particle blower. Hence it does not work on anything else that is not part of the particle system. That being said, the 2k4 particle system is completely different from the XMP one and the whole has to be(or has been?) redone for UTXMP

[Lithium]

Aug 19, 2004
Waterloo, Canada
I certanly think that if you were to fire a rocket into a smoke nade that it should more effectivly move the smoke around. As it stands now you could unload an entire clip of rockets and not be able to disperse the smoke enough to get a line of sight. The range on the smoke dispersion is too small and I dont think that the "wind" from the explosion imparts enough velocity on the smoke particles.

One thing that should be fixed though is gas being able to penetrate solid walls and kill people on the other side.

I'm surprised I've never noticed it but wind should affect gas nades like it does smoke nades. I also dont know if rockets can disperse gas either, but it should as well just like smoke.

Bleeder

Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Lith has a good point about the rockets. The physics is just all weird and stuff. PRG thanks for the clarification on the gas on sirocco. It's still just weird.

[Lithium] said:
One thing that should be fixed though is gas being able to penetrate solid walls and kill people on the other side.
I agree, although isn't this just a side effect of crappy-made maps with tiny cracks between surfaces?

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
[Lithium] said:
I'm surprised I've never noticed it but wind should affect gas nades like it does smoke nades. I also dont know if rockets can disperse gas either, but it should as well just like smoke.

I quite like that idea. That could be another way of sorting the gunner balance and it fits in with the rock, paper, scissors mentality of XMP.

Maybe not for the smoke, as I don't feel that it needs nurfing, but for the gas it could work well.

Fleury14

Lei STILL sux. It's true.
Jan 6, 2003
Fresno, CA
Visit site
[Lithium] said:

Very much so. Agreed. Good point. etc.

It sounds cool, but I'm not so sure im keen about the idea of going along my merry way and then being attack by some rogue gas the the wind decided to carry halfway across the map.

[Lithium]

Aug 19, 2004
Waterloo, Canada
LOL Fleury14 that would be teh suck, but I'd rather be able to run into the direction of the wind and avoid being in the gas for as long as it gets blown away. If the wind affects smoke it should gas to. I know a game is not supposed to strictly emulate real life but its just contradictory to have smoke blown around and not gas. Besides it would add a bit of strategy and tact to have to correct the placement of your gas nades for the wind.