Lighting problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
Some trim in a CTF map I'm working on...

It's an extruded 6-vertex shape, rotated around an both an inner and an outer axis (does this make sense?)

I've found out btw that this problem de-exists if I use a light source with a radius ~= 64. In the lit pic above it's a 255 radius light. Hmm, suppose this is an engine problem... some loss of precision when raytracing far rays?

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Do you mean the strange black stripes? Sometimes things just light weirdly depending on how the polygons have been split within the BSP tree. You can sometimes make this go away by changing your polys to semi-solid or just adding or removing brushes in the problem area.

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
No, it doesn't. As I said, it's only concerning big radius lights - not light sources that are close to the brush. (I mean realtively close)

I've tried:
- Bright Corners
- All sorts of Shadow Detail
- Setting the light to LE_NonIncidence
- Rebuilding
- Rebuilding again
- Performing a poly merge on the brush (not that I had hoped it would help...)
- um... Think that's it.

dead clown

self-righteous ****0r
Nov 5, 2001
ireland
Visit site
i guess you could try setting all the faces on that brush to special lit and putting some special lit lights close enough to light it, it might stand out against the darkness of the wall if you make them too bright though.

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
yeah, that sure works, as I said: the problem exist only with light from far off (light radius < 64). I worked around it (making the whole scene night-ish :) but still it would be good to have a way to get around this...

I bet in U2 it's fixed :)

Heisher

Ooo, suits you sir!
Oct 18, 2000
Edinburgh, UK
www.heisher.net
a similar problem can be seen if you subtract a brush from a room, those faces are not light (at all, they stay black) from the light in the room, even when they clearly should.

facked.jpg

doesnt matter if you set it to 255 bright, nonincidence, cylinder, chnage the radius. zip. nothing helps. that face stays black. even when you make the light special lighting and the same to the face, nothing. Sticking the light in the brush doesnt help either. hmmm. maybe UED doesnt like small subtracts or something

Last edited:

Varpu

Novice Nali City Reviewer
May 21, 2001
Finland
furpile.com
I've had this problem on shapes that were processed a lot. Somewhere during all this subrtraction, addition, intersection etc.. one or two faces seem to flip around showing their backside. The only fix I've found is to always use geometry with two sided faces if You suspect this would happen. And that includes the original, so to say atomic brushes. Especially the intersection seems to suffer this problem big time. Using two sided faces all the way along is propably not a good idea... although I suspect the "compiler" will optimize these away.

Exodus-R

Oct 27, 2001
Syktyvkar, Russia
Light:
Sharp corner!
LE _ Nonlncidence
Special Lit

Texture:
BrightCorners
Special Lit

The change of a corner of illumination and radius will allow to create shadows.

MrFawn

Jan 25, 2000
Norway
www.planetunreal.com
Originally posted by @kuma
it's a problem with the lightmap resolution, there's no real 'fix' for it until U2 comes out.

great innit.

There should be a mod that scaled everything in UT about 1000%

then the lightmap resolution would be really small and useful :D