LD available? (12 week prototype, starting now)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Edit: Blasted topic title should have a question mark in it D:

Hi guys,

As part of the university project I'm doing, this semester we've been commanded to construct a game prototype in 12 weeks (Easter not included, so the timeframe is a little larger), and I'll be working with two other programmers. Since peoples grades are reliant on the project being completed, there's a good guarantee of the project being completed to a reasonable level.

This week, we'll be working out which technical solution we're going to use, although I'm pretty sure it's going to come down to either UDK, or the Universities own Irrlicht based renderer and integrating OpenAL and Havok.

Anyway, I'm going to be pushing the agenda for UDK, because the way I see it, we're going to have to learn our way around a new API either way (I have never used the University engine, and none of us have used OpenAL / Havok before), but UDK has a full suite of tools ready to roll, and a catalogue of art assets - not only that but a good prototype could be developed further afterwards into an actual game, which I also have a preference to, since I hate writing demos that never serve any purpose in the real world.

What might help swing it for the other two guys however, is the potential to have someone capable of knocking together some half-decent, better-than-programmer-art level design that would help really sell the project, since it's to be graded largely based on it's appearance and apparent functionality, rather than it's technological prowess or the code base.

I'm currently swinging for a more rollercoastery Wipeout style racer, and can happily provide more details about the particular implementation if anyone is interested. Will obviously need some custom 3d work, but I'd imagine it to be largely piss for anyone who can work Max/Maya to a basic standard.

Anyway, if you've got a few hours to spare here and there, and want to try something you might not have done before, then give me a shout, and we'll have a chat.

Thanks,

Luke