Laser attachment aka LAM

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

b-boy_fuj

Jun 19, 2001
Visit site
Ever heard of laser mutator for Ut? Well, i came across it by accident and i downloaded it and i ran it in infiltration. All i can say is that i like it. I think it is better than old lam attachment. It is not completely unrealistic and i think that it could be implemented in inf. I know the beam is thick and too visible but that could be corrected, i think. Here is a screenshot of it with fnp90 (it suited the best with it). BTW since it is UT mutator laser beam is visible with all weapons even with knife and m67 but it suits best with fnp90(i know it doesnt have it in rl). Go check out.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
Problem: a laser beam is not visible unless it has something to reflect off of like fog, smoke, or dust. In a clean-air environment such as that pic, you would not see the beam, only the dot. And Inf already has that.

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
Ya but its still cool to have because fog on the Unreal Engine bogs it down and makes it slow. So a LAM like that would be nice. Or maybe we could wait to impliment that until we move to a different engine which will hopefully be better able to handle fog.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
I think we should be more concerned about how the lam looks/moves in online play right now, than the side effects of how it cuts through fog.

right now (online) the sig lam aint much help.
I suspect the socom (and eventually the m4 and other weapons) wont get much of a boost for the 1 pt bulk your spending, unless this things retooled to work properly.

in a twisted way, the lag lam does show where your bullets are falling. its just hard as heck to see/use :p
[edit: possible source of material to reflect laser lite off of. around the gun barrel tip would be the gunsmoke from recently fired shots]

Last edited:

Ratus

The FNG
Jan 3, 2002
Visit site
Why bother?

Does anyone ever use one? IRL or INF?

Maybe in CQB, but then its just easier to point and shoot first. Not be looking for a little red dot.:hmm:

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
a laser is a useful deterent for police work.
(nothing says "Stop" like a little red dot :D )

its also handy when its too dark to see your handguns sites.
remember, were trying to take a handgun and make accurate shots in a hurry.
"put dot on target, squeeze trigger" is about as idiot proof as it gets.

I would guess that larger weapons find it helpful too.
no need to worry about alignment of your sites, just put the dot on target and shoot.

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
The fastest aim and shoot device is an aimpoint. That's the "put dot on target, squeeze trigger" you're taking about. A LAM is "aim weapon at target, acquire laser spot, squeeze trigger".

-=SDS=-Coop

INF Online moderator
the aimpoint device dot is too huge, at some distances you can blot out your target, and not have a clue where you're hitting. or if you're going for a specific spot, like an arm, or the head, you cant get pinpoint accuracy due to the size of the dot. and anyway, i can still find the mp5 sights even in the darkest of levels.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
the idea that the lag of the dot shows where you bullets will hit is a myth. The dot is lagged behind you aim, that means that the sight is where you gun was when the server lasst recieved info about where your dot is, that means when you fire you still have to send the information to the server about you firing.

So the bullet hits where you are aiming, but not until the light passes over it

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
The information for the dot is based on a signal from you, to the server, and back. right?
if the info for the shot you just fired is being transmitted similarly, then the light is falling (lag wise) where your bullets would be falling if you had shot at the time the light signal left your pc.

err, ok, that made no sense.

youre lam ------ lag ---- server----- lag---- light dot on your pc
your bullet ----- lag ---- server ---- lag ---- bullet holes on your pc

err, not much better.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
no because the lam dot you are seeing is not the same one you are sending out at the instant you shoot, well thats irrelevent anyway. I'll simplify it

Lag does not effect where your bullet lands, it only effects when you bullet lands, using the lam is like having a gun and shooting it non stop. the lam goes where you pointed it, but you don't see it until it has time to regester on the server. when you fire the gun it goes where you aimed, but it doesn't "hit" until the server regesters it

Ratus

The FNG
Jan 3, 2002
Visit site
Laser myths

a laser is a useful deterent for police work.
(nothing says "Stop" like a little red dot )

The problem with this is they have to be looking down at the "dot" and not up at you with the gun.

The only place in LE that has accepted laser sights is training. Showing how jerking the trigger will drasticly affect aim, etc.

its also handy when its too dark to see your handguns sites.

Its also too dark to see your target!

remember, were trying to take a handgun and make accurate shots in a hurry.
"put dot on target, squeeze trigger" is about as idiot proof as it gets.

In INF as IRL just bring your handgun up, and look along the top of the slide and fire. Its called "point shooting" and works for about 10m or so. If you have enough time, use the sights.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Originally posted by RAZZ
if you cant see a big red pulsing dot on a wall 10 feet away, an aimpoint aint gonna do ya much good :D

aimpoints still require you to raise the weapon into your line of site.

And when, pray, wouldn't you bring your weapon up to fire? Only INF let's you fire from the hip, real life isn't that stupid. Do you really think a little red dot will suddenly make it feasible to shoot an assault rifle - or for that matter a pistol - from the hip?

I've used LAMs in the military on several occasions. It was an IR laser mounted on a SIG551 for use with goggle-style night vision devices. Since variable-depth focus needed for aiming a rifle at medium distances is near impossible with NVGs, we used the lasers to make it easier. To the naked eye they were invisible, but with the NVGs the dot stuck out rather well.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
Lasers being shone on a person are about as much a deterrent to criminals as the racking sound of a pump shotgun. Both are great for revealing your position and labelling you as a threat and a TARGET. Lasers have their place, but it's not for everyday use.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
and since when are police officers supposed to shoot without warning?
unless your trying to pull some **** off, your going to have to ask them to stop befor filling em fulla holes.
(the judge gets all pissy about details like that)
The laser shows your intent alot better than shouting.

The sites are black, the slide is black, the grip is black. at night the guy running away is no problem to spot, but lining up sites on him just isint possible in the time you have.

that leaves you "the feel of your gun", and a **** load of questions to answer if you miss.

theres one kind in particular (http://www.lasersightsusa.com/) that fits into the lower frame like a part of the gun. its very bright, bright enough for your target to see it too.
the best part is it dosent interfere with the holdster in any way.

unlike aimpoints: you dont have to be looking through it with your cheek glued to the stock.

just point and shoot. what you see is what you get.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
Right, RAZZ. That's why every police force is using lasers on all their duty weapons! Oh wait a second, they're not...

and since when are police officers supposed to shoot without warning?
How about when you point a gun at a cop or someone else? When you're stabbing someone in the middle of the street? When someone guns their engine and speeds right for the officer with no signs of deviating from their collision course?

The laser shows your intent alot better than shouting.
Oh please. Since when does shining a red light on someone indicate "stop or I'll shoot your ass"? You really believe that would hold up in court?

JUDGE: What did you do to command the defendant to cease his violent action?
OFFICER: I shined my laser on him!
JUDGE: ......
OFFICER: I thought it was better than shouting since a beam of light projects my thoughts telepathically. He MUST have known what I wanted.
JUDGE: Case dismissed.

The sites are black, the slide is black, the grip is black. at night the guy running away is no problem to spot, but lining up sites on him just isint possible in the time you have.

This is an incredibly ignorant statement. First off, you're assuming all gun sights are black. You discount the multitudes of stainless steel guns in existence, or the millions of front sights with neon-colored inserts and rear sights with white outlines or dots, all of which are pretty much standard on any duty gun. And what about Trijicon night sights that glow in the dark?

I especially like the part about not having time to line up sights. Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure to do all my housebreaking at night since any cop that doesn't have a laser on his gun won't be able to shoot me. :rolleyes:

that leaves you "the feel of your gun", and a **** load of questions to answer if you miss.

More ignorant assumptions. One of the basic rules of police gunfighting is that you know your background. If you're unsure of a hit, don't fire. Simple as that.

just point and shoot. what you see is what you get.

Right. No way a laser is ever going to lose its zero, run out of battery power, or inadvertently steer your aim in the wrong direction. You're proposing to eliminate proper training in lieu of some gadget that supposedly turns every Barney Fife into a sniper-trained marksman. There's enough cops out there who don't follow their training and can't hit jack sh*t. The last thing they need is something to reinforce that.