Keyboard crashes ALL UnrealEngine games...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Haphazard

May 31, 2009
Right... I have been playing UT2004 for quite some time, but for some reason it has started crashing as soon as i press any button on my keyboard while playing.
This strikes me as a rather odd error, but nevertheless i tried exchanging the keyboard for another one. To no avail. I have reinstalled, played on minimum graphics, disabled sound etc..

Please note that seemingly ALL games using the UnrealEngine produce the same error for me. Deus ex, for example. :(

Any idea what might be wrong? Also, does anyone know where to find logs of the error messages? Could be useful to post those here i presume.

Help :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, i thought that since this game - and all other UnrealEngine games - have worked in the past with the same hardware, that it simply is not hardware related.

Last edited:

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
This is happening with all games that use any version of UE, correct? ...Strange.

Normally I'd recommend resetting your game .ini's, but considering that your problem is happening with all UE games, I doubt that would work.

Nope. Besides, i tried using different keyboards with the same results.

So you are just using the standard Windows keyboard drivers, huh? Maybe try using the brand-specific drivers and see if that helps.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Also, does anyone know where to find logs of the error messages? Could be useful to post those here i presume.
C:\Unreal Anthology\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.log or
C:\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.log for a default install of UT in MS Windows.

Something similar for UT2004,

C:\UT2004\System\UT2004.log or C:\Unreal Anthology\UT2004\System\UT2004.log

You haven't stated any details regarding your hardware. For example, is this a PS/2 connected keyboard? If so, then can you get hold of a USB keyboard and see if that makes a difference (or vice versa)?

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
You haven't stated any details regarding your hardware. For example, is this a PS/2 connected keyboard? If so, then can you get hold of a USB keyboard and see if that makes a difference (or vice versa)?
It doesn't seem like a hardware-related issue to me. If it were, I'd expect Haphazard would be encountering the problem with ALL games (and probably other software as well), not just UE games.

Haphazard

May 31, 2009
So you are just using the standard Windows keyboard drivers, huh? Maybe try using the brand-specific drivers and see if that helps.

That's not a bad idea. Will try.

Both Keyboards were connected through USB, but i hardly think that matters. Different USB slots have been tried aswell.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems like there are no drivers for the Saitek II eclipse which just happens to be my keyboard. Perhaps there exists updated windows keyboard drivers? Or just a way to reinstall them... Still, i encounter no problems whatsoever with the keyboard except for with these UnrealEngine games.

Last edited:

Haphazard

May 31, 2009
An issue with DirectInput perhaps? Although I'd expect other games to be affected in that case.

Probably, though it might be some kind of special conflict with just the UnrealEngine. Btw, do you really use DirectInput for the keyboard?

Keep the ideas rolling :) Im determined to get to the bottom of this

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
It doesn't seem like a hardware-related issue to me. If it were, I'd expect Haphazard would be encountering the problem with ALL games (and probably other software as well), not just UE games.

Depends on the nature of the hardware fault.

For example, different game engines have different interactions with GPUs and we don't bat an eyelid if we see graphics corruption with an iD engine but not an Unreal engine. For all that keyboard interfaces are much simpler, it is still possible that UE games have some distinct interaction with the keyboard interface that exercises the fault condition. Not necessarily likely, merely possible.

USB keyboard - is it connected through a hub? Is there something else now on the USB that wasn't there before - e.g. a camera or a printer?

Game logs?
Windows Event log?

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
USB keyboard - is it connected through a hub? Is there something else now on the USB that wasn't there before - e.g. a camera or a printer?

I used to have a flash card that would kill other USB devices if they were plugged into the same chain. Also caused BSOD anytime you unplugged it.

Haphazard

May 31, 2009
UT2004 Log file, created this very day..

Log: Log file open, 06/01/09 22:50:12
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 (Build: 2600)
Init: Version: 3369 (128.29)
Init: Compiled: Nov 23 2005 16:23:34
Init: Command line:
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Base directory: C:\Documents and Settings\asd\Skrivbord\UT2004\System\
Init: Ini:UT2004.ini UserIni:User.ini
Init: Build label: UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Log: Splash screen filename is '..\Help\UT2004Logo.bmp'
Log: ati2dvag.dll/ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Log: Game class is 'GameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level Entry.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 5.221000...
ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
Log: Browse: NvidiaLogo.ut2?Name=!2?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Divisor?team=0?Sex=F?Voice=XGame.NightMaleVoice
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Garbage: objects: 27913->27913; refs: 283940
Log: Game class is 'CinematicGame'
Log: Bringing Level NvidiaLogo.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 10.284000...
Log: (Karma): Autodetecting CPU for SSE
Log: (Karma): Using SSE Optimizations
Progress: Exporting VCTF-illusion...
Warning: Failed to load 'PC_UrbanStatic': Can't find file for package 'PC_UrbanStatic'
Warning: Failed to load 'VCTF-illusion': Can't find file for package 'PC_UrbanStatic'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary VCTF-illusion.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'PC_UrbanStatic'
Warning: Error loading VCTF-illusion !
Log: ALAudio: Using DirectSound to record audio.
ScriptLog: New Player !2 id=32af618f3ba1ef8264f8deefed08553c
Log: Opened viewport
Log: Enter SetRes: 800x600 Fullscreen 0
Log: Using back-buffer format 22(32-bit)
Log: Using depth-buffer format 77(32-bit)
Log: Creating device
Log: xD3DHelper::Init (QuadEmulation)
Log: Startup time: 11.701000 seconds
Log: Precaching: NvidiaLogo.LevelInfo0
Log: Static mesh batches: 508608 vertex bytes, 110460 index bytes
Log: Allocating 16384 byte dynamic index buffer.
Log: Finished precaching geometry in 0.101 seconds
Log: Finished precaching textures in 0.330 seconds
Debug: UT2k4MainMenu.Opened() Sender:package.UT2k4MainMenu
Log: URL: Adding default option Name=!2
Log: URL: Adding default option Class=Engine.Pawn
Log: URL: Adding default option Character=Divisor
Log: URL: Adding default option team=0
Log: URL: Adding default option Voice=XGame.NightMaleVoice
Log: Browse: Index.ut2?disconnect?Name=!2?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Divisor?team=0?Voice=XGame.NightMaleVoice
Log: Failed; returning to Entry
ScriptLog: UT2k4MainMenu NotifyLevelChange PendingConnection:False
Log: GP=FALSE
Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport
Log: Static mesh batches: 0 vertex bytes, 0 index bytes
Debug: UT2k4MainMenu.Opened() Sender:None
ScriptLog: Attempting to close a non-existing menu page
Log: URL: Adding default option Name=!2
Log: URL: Adding default option Class=Engine.Pawn
Log: URL: Adding default option Character=Divisor
Log: URL: Adding default option team=0
Log: URL: Adding default option Voice=XGame.NightMaleVoice
Log: Browse: CTF-FE70E1364C7F94730D3AFBA387AEF2F6-1?BonusVehicles=false?Game=XGame.xCTFGame?RedTeam=XGame.TeamRedConfigured?BlueTeam=XGame.TeamBlueConfigured?Name=!2?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Divisor?team=0?Voice=XGame.NightMaleVoice
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: (Karma): Level Karma Terminated.
Log: Garbage: objects: 37741->35367; refs: 384311
Log: Game class is 'xCTFGame'
Log: Bringing Level CTF-FE70E1364C7F94730D3AFBA387AEF2F6-1.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 24.530000...
Log: (Karma): Autodetecting CPU for SSE
Log: (Karma): Using SSE Optimizations
Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport
Log: Precaching: CTF-FE70E1364C7F94730D3AFBA387AEF2F6-1.LevelInfo0
Log: Static mesh b

I can't make anything out of this... Those three errors (those regarding the map Illusion.vctf) started showing up in UnrealEd a long time ago, so i don't think they are related.

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
So I take it that "Log: Static mesh b" was the last thing that happened before you pressed a button on the keyboard causing the game to crash? Strange...

I expect that the problem is occuring at a lower level, and isn't something typically logged.

There was no error output when the game crashed? It just fell back into windows completely with no message whatsoever, correct?

Haphazard

May 31, 2009
So I take it that "Log: Static mesh b" was the last thing that happened before you pressed a button on the keyboard causing the game to crash? Strange...

I expect that the problem is occuring at a lower level, and isn't something typically logged.

There was no error output when the game crashed? It just fell back into windows completely with no message whatsoever, correct?

Yeah, it seem like the problem is not even logged. And the only error message i get is the usual one from Windows.

I will try reinstalling the USB drivers for my motherboard. Still, this is the only case where i have problem with USB devices. Seems unlikely.

Haphazard

May 31, 2009
Have you checked the event viewer?

(Im sorry it's in swedish, but i think you'll get the essence of it)
Felaktig = Incorrect in some manner.

I hadn't. But now that i have, i see that the crash does produce errors.

When crashed from UT2004 menu: Application error -> Felaktigt program ut2004.exe, version 0.0.0.0, felaktig modul xinterface.dll, version 0.0.0.0, felaktig adress 0x0001c4fb.

When crashed in-game UT2004: Application error -> Felaktigt program ut2004.exe, version 0.0.0.0, felaktig modul engine.dll, version 0.0.0.0, felaktig adress 0x0020ab20.

Crashed while Loading map UT2004: Application error -> Felaktigt program ut2004.exe, version 0.0.0.0, felaktig modul engine.dll, version 0.0.0.0, felaktig adress 0x001a486b.

I have to reinstall Deus Ex, because i removed it a few days ago... But then i'll post logs for that too. I predict that a comparison between the errors from the two games is what will lead us in the right direction, since the problem probably lies with UnrealEngine-powered games in combination with my machine - be it hardware or software.

keaukrine

Sep 26, 2004
Ukraine
keaukraine.narod.ru
Run dxdiag. You know, press Start, then Run, then type in dxdiag, Enter. Pay attention to Input tab.

Also, have you tried to launch UT in safe mode? Disabling Direct Input option in config menu / ini file?