Just Wondering

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
This probably sounds like a stupid question but...

Can someone please explain this "All your base are belong to us" thing? I am just wondering where and why it started.

ft010312l.gif

Thanks!

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
In A.D. 2101
War was beginning.
Captain: What happen ?
Operator: Somebody set up us the bomb
Operator: We get signal
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on
Captain: It's You !!
Cats: How are you gentlemen !!
Cats: All your base are belong to us
Cats: You are on the way to destruction
Captain: What you say !!
Cats: You have no chance to survive make your time
Cats: HA HA HA HA ....
Cats: Take off every 'zig'
Captain: You know what you doing
Captain: Move 'zig'
Captain: For great justice

Look here :)

Retro|PuF

Skilled
Sep 2, 2000
Northwest Indiana, US
www.geocities.com
Allow me to shed some light...

Background:
The phrase comes from an animation at the beginning of a video game. The game was named "Zero Wing", and was for the old (first) Sega System (I think).

Link:
Here is a link where someone has put the animation on a website, and also made a techno/mix/video for it. It's kinda neat.
http://www.stileproject.com/base.swf

Why it's so funny: (IMO)
It's funny because it's a bad-english way of saying "I own you", or "I'll dominate you - there's no hope", or in the script-kiddie-speak "1 0W|\| J00". It relates to gamers, and so gamers use it. It's a form of bragging. It's like a taunt in a game of UT... I'm sure there's quite a few people out there who have it bound to a key.

I think it's funny, but as with everything - ONLY IN MODERATION. I have used it, but any time now I'll see someone spam it and it'll annoy me. Oh well. ;)

I hope this clears it up for you. If not, let me know.

Thank you Retro. I kinda thought that was the 'meaning' but it seemed like there was some hidden meaning that I just was not getting. I'd seen a couple of the animations and seen it spamed a few times and thought 'OK, ha ha... no big deal". Then I saw it in the daily paper in Fox Trot and thought I was missing out on something.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

All your base are belong to Retro|PuF ;)