JB-Gael

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
--- and you all thought I was kidding ---

no please come back......

its not that bad actually.

Good bit of Z axis action, insane with lots of players, and simple but effective death sequence.

Basicly I want feedback on whether escaping from jail is too easy, and whether its too easy to block people being released from getting out. Also Is it too easy / hard to release.

Download me now (beta1.1)

Enjoy the madness.

Last edited:

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
can you imagine JB-Convoy? :lol:
JB-VolcanoHigh (custom ONS map) might be a bit too large. Add it ;)
JB-Rankin ofc
has JB-Face been done for 2k4? :eek:
JB-*insert assault raceway mapname here*
JB-Morpheus (or plunge if it needs to be sym)

hf ;)

edit: btw, don't. If you do that, we risk lots of potential JB servers turning into 12 y/o instagib spamfest 135% x-loc servers :(

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
tarquin said:
I always forget that isn't a package that ships with the game.....
Can't remember what it actually comes with either.....
I'l re-upload it.

btw, don't. If you do that, we risk lots of potential JB servers turning into 12 y/o instagib spamfest 135% x-loc servers
I'm not gonna convert those..... not unpopular enough :p
on a serious note I'm only going to convert maps that I think *could* work (obv. not in Tarq's case :p)
Ini would be happy with lots of servers with iG and X-loc :lol:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Sjosz said:
AmbModern.uax is a retail UT99 Sounds package. And yes I thought you were kidding:lol:
Probs got it from downloading the UTR mod (the one that gives UT2004 the UT99 feeling, weapons and all - for those who didn't know - oh and its not as goo as JB, or actually playing UT99)

new download link NOT requiring AmbModern.
HERE!

I did the same thing with Cyanide needing that file..... lol

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
when I try to launch your map in jailbreak, I get this:

Code:
Log: Browse: JB-Gael-beta-1?BonusVehicles=false?Game=Jailbreak.Jailbreak?RedTeamSymbol=TeamSymbols_GTBP.Teams.GoldenTigerStudios?BlueTeamSymbol=TeamSymbols_GTBP.Teams.GoldenTigerStudios?bAutoNumBots=False?NumBots=0?Name=Nova^?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Sapphire?team=1?Voice=XGame.MercFemaleVoice
Warning: Failed to load 'JB-Gael-beta-1': Can't find file 'JB-Gael-beta-1'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file 'JB-Gael-beta-1'
ScriptLog: PlayerController.ProgressCommand Cmd 'menu:GUI2K4.UT2K4MainMenu'  Msg1 'Failed launching URL'   Msg2 'Can't find file 'JB-Gael-beta-1''

and then it returns me to the JB menu. I don't have any problems with other maps.

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
I had to rename the file to get it to work. Get rid of the '.'

As much as I hate to admit it.....this could be a fun map :eek:
The execution's a little slow mind. It's good for building tension true, but after a while it's gonna get annoying :)

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
the execution looks a bit weird. It seems like you have a small place to stand in the middle, but you get crushed there too due to the blocky volume. Please use another smesh. :) I think 2 walls are enough btw.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Considering it's Gael... it's not that bad... It could become a pretty decent one if you take it seriously... ;)
Some suggestions from playing a little: :D
- Try to put the 3 Gaels right in front of each other and use pairs of doors to get fid of the sightlines. Keep some distance between each Gael to make sure all the doors won't be opened at a time. Remove the lifts from the connection points.
It would look more decent IMO, not so much like 3 Gaels that have quickly been pasted together... :rolleyes:
- Bring back the lifts from the bases, and in the centre room, place lifts on the sides.
- Too many healths, ammo, and powerups... :p I'd say remove all the uber powerups from the middle and place 4 healths there. You can take the big powerups right after getting released, so it's not as interesting as it could be. ;) No more health is needed IMO, maybe a couple of packs in the bases, but that's all. A big powerup could be placed on a very narrow platform, right over the jail, in a liftjump-only level. :D
- I personally don't hate Gael, it's not too stupid in 1v1 / 1v1v1, and having only 2 weapons makes it quite unique. I'd like to check this one with 2 weapons too, and maybe a third weapon (Bio), and a fouth one (Link). We have enough maps with the Shock and the Flak... :eek:
- I think releasing your team if the other team is defending is a bit like a suicidal mission, if you don't get killed before taking the Switch you will die little later since there's not many places to hide... I love the switch placement, though... And heh, it's just Gael... :lol:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
4WD said:
bwahaha maybe a good opportunity to get my superl337 map involved ;)
Yeh Definetly!
If you are converting any more maps that swould go in this mappack let me know :D

RevBillyG said:
I had to rename the file to get it to work. Get rid of the '.'
Didn't know that was a problem, I hadnt tested it after changing it so it didnt require that file, :p

the execution looks a bit weird. It seems like you have a small place to stand in the middle, but you get crushed there too due to the blocky volume. Please use another smesh. I think 2 walls are enough btw.
-blocking volume, + collison of the mesh ;)
----get your terms right... ;)
I went with more than walls as I wanted it to be different to other maps, I will look into the problem with the 'small place' in the middle

@ G.Lector:
Try to put the 3 Gaels right in front of each other and use pairs of doors to get fid of the sightlines. Keep some distance between each Gael to make sure all the doors won't be opened at a time. Remove the lifts from the connection points.
It would look more decent IMO, not so much like 3 Gaels that have quickly been pasted together...
That involves tarting from scratch, so I'm not going to do that, to much work for no real gain. I couldn't care less if people say "its 3 gaels pasted together, because thats exactly what it is, and I will be the first to admit it :p
I did it how I did it as it would require much less work, and Optimisation will be easy. I havent done this to show off any mapping skills. Thats what Egypt was for.
Bring back the lifts from the bases, and in the centre room, place lifts on the sides.
I don't want to bring those lifts in the bases back as I found it wasn't instantly clear which way is which when leaving the base, there is no real reason for it to go there either. Being able to get up ther will just promote camping up there, which makes it even harder to get to the switch. I may put some extra lifts in the middle room though, although I would prefer to use jumppads to keep the pace of the action in there.
Too many healths, ammo, and powerups.......
I put loads of powerups there as it creates an interesting situation in which everyone charges for the middle to get the powerups, or they can stay in their base, safely, but haveless ammo, health and armor. Its part of the map balance and to keep this being crazy.
I'd like to check this one with 2 weapons too, and maybe a third weapon (Bio), and a fouth one (Link). We have enough maps with the Shock and the Flak...
Feel free to try having only 2 weapons if you want, you have UED (not meaning to sound cheeky there) but I played it in SP and it wasnt as much fun.
- I think releasing your team if the other team is defending is a bit like a suicidal mission, if you don't get killed before taking the Switch you will die little later since there's not many places to hide... I love the switch placement, though... And heh, it's just Gael...
This is good because it means teams will actually score (thinks back to the mothership with games ending 0-0 all the time)

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
The_Head said:
I don't want to bring those lifts in the bases back as I found it wasn't instantly clear which way is which when leaving the base, there is no real reason for it to go there either. Being able to get up ther will just promote camping up there, which makes it even harder to get to the switch.
It might be confusing, I agree, but it would be a very good place to give releasers a small place to hide and breath. There's only one way for releasers to get out of base right now (although you can also suicide on the pit, which isn't a really bad choice... ;)) To get rid of the camping domination, you could swap the LightingGun and the Flak...

I put loads of powerups there as it creates an interesting situation in which everyone charges for the middle to get the powerups, or they can stay in their base, safely, but haveless ammo, health and armor.
That will only work great in the first wave, but then you always are released in the middle of the map and you have everything you want, whether you decide to attack or defend. That's why I suggested placing the healths beside the jail (so you have a chance to kick to jail players with little health) and moving the powerup(s) to a higher level, or just farther from the jails...

This is good because it means teams will actually score (thinks back to the mothership with games ending 0-0 all the time)
/thinks back to SpaceLego games ending 15-5 all the time... :lol:
Nah it's OK, you're right. :)

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
G.Lecter said:
It might be confusing, I agree, but it would be a very good place to give releasers a small place to hide and breath.
:stick: :stick: :stick: :stick:
IT WON'T BE GAEL IF YOU CAN HIDE!!!!!!!!!
hehe

G.Lector said:
That will only work great in the first wave, but then you always are released in the middle of the map and you have everything you want, whether you decide to attack or defend. That's why I suggested placing the healths beside the jail (so you have a chance to kick to jail players with little health) and moving the powerup(s) to a higher level, or just farther from the jails...
You don't have a good range of weapons, you leave with maybe Dual AR and pick up a bio. Good but not much use on people above you, so you run!!!! (whichever way)

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
You know what I mean, that's not what we would consider a hiding place... (well, INI would never post a screen of it... although I am sure he won't hake him more than 10 minutes to destroy Gael's own essence by finding a real hiding place, come on INI! \o/).

But I've got a better (crazier) idea. :D What if a fourth Gael is pasted (so Gaels 1 and 3 are bases, and Gaels 2-4 are [shared] jails), and Gaels 1-4 are linked with a WarpZone?! OMG I must try that... :biggrin2:

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
G.Lecter said:
a WarpZone?! OMG I must try that... :D
You do know about WarpZone limitations yes?
  • Hit-Scan weapons (Assault Rifle & Shock Rifle primary fire and Minigun, Lightning Gun, and Sniper Rifle primary and alternate fires (and Link Gun alternate fire I think)) will not pass through the warp zone.
  • Warp zones are also notoriously problematic and can easily cause BSP holes and hall-of-mirror effects.
  • Bots can get stuck in them, so make sure the path system is complete.
  • From what you're implying, it would be possible to see through one warp zone into another, and then back out the 2nd warp zone, into a 3rd... That will lead to disaster as you will create a hall-of-mirror effect after the 3rd iteration of rendering, which also results in a tremendous drop in frame-rates.
  • There is always a small graphical stutter as a player passes through a warp zone, but it can be a much bigger stutter if you look sideways while walking through it.
Just so you know :)

Ikkuh

Phear the nades
Apr 19, 2005
Just another Dutchie
warpzones 4tw (damn *** censor)

I managed to get control over the warpzones back in UT99. It was great fun creating some sort of edgy planet, or a fall-through floor that makes you jump out of a hole in another floor, or make a bottomless pit, or some kind of very weird and confusing maze, etc. It was great fun :lol:

but warpzones are not meant to be included in maps that have lots of combat in it. We could use warpzones in jails and hard-to-reach places, but in main combat areas it just isn't nice ;)