Java or C?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

2COOL4-U

Mar 17, 2001
dot NL
2cool.free.fr
I would recommend you Java, it looks way more like UnrealScript. But C++ is a good way too, depends on what you want to do. If you want to make programs sometime too, it's better to learn C++

Hugh Macdonald

Director: UnFramed Productions
May 15, 2000
Bristol, UK
www.brokenpipefilms.com
I'm intrigued...

Brood_Of_Evil - how does UScript have polymorphism?

I have yet to find a useful language which supports polymorphism (Haskell, which we're having to learn at uni, doesn't class as useful in my book)

Proper polymorphism is a lovely feature... Do explain where it is used..

[edit]
Oh yeah, and I'd recommend that you learn C++ - If you're planning on going to university to study Comp Sci (which I would expect, if you plan on making a career out of it), they may well make you learn Java. So far, in the past year and a bit, I've had to learn C, Java and Haskell, and am now doing a project in C++ (I only knew UScript before going to uni)
One of the most important programming skills (in my mind) is being able to adapt to other languages - if someone can hand you a book on a language that you've never seen before, and you can be proficient in it by the end of the day, then you're on your way. I would recommend getting used to functional (Haskell), OO (C++, Java, UScript), and procedural (C) languages.
[/edit]

Thanks

Last edited:

Graeme

back from the dead
Oct 4, 2000
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I'm not a total uscript newbie... I just want to learn it more comprehensively... I've already made some pretty basic mutators and weapons.

thanks for the help everyone
I know that I'll end up learning java and c++ eventually... i just wanted to know what I need now :)

Hugh Macdonald

Director: UnFramed Productions
May 15, 2000
Bristol, UK
www.brokenpipefilms.com
That's not proper polymorphism - I agree, polymorphism can be faked using OO techniques, but proper polymorphism would allow you to not specify what type of variable is coming into a function, and it will still work on it....

That didn't really make sense to me, so I'll give an example...

remove :: Eq a => [a] -> [a] -> [a]
remove xs [] = xs
remove xs (y:ys) = remove (filter (/= y) xs) ys

That is a haskell function - normally, where the 'a's are in the top row, there would be the types that are coming into the function. However, as this function can work on any type, 'a' is used, so remove can be used on a list of anything

With OO languages, you still have to write a function for each type that you want to be able to use.