Jailbreak CTF ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sexmachine

- retired -
Feb 5, 2002
Germany
www.planetjailbreak.com
See original thread

CTF & Jailbreak combined
when i was young at school we used to play a game called 'Capture the flag' where there were two teams, with bases at either end of our small sports-field. we played it like CTF in UT where you need to capture the enemy flag and take it back to your base. obviously we didnt play with rocket launchers so we used a 'tag' system where if you touched someone with both hands, they'd 'go to jail' (á la Jailbreak) and they would have to be freed by another member of their team (also by a tag).

It would be pretty cool if there was some way to do a JB/CTF combo in 2k4, which would basically be jailbreak with flags, where your team could score either by sending all members of the opposite team to jail, or by capping the flag in the usual way.

I'm just rambling really as i know nobody will ever implement this in a FPS, and i'm more than happy with the new JB mod (who isnt?), but it would be a pretty fun gametype to play.

Mulch_D

Noxious Weed
Mar 9, 2003
Melborne, Australia.
mulchd.net
What I was thinking ould be cool, is a JB and BR mix, you have to get the ball through the enemy's goal to release your team, so a use full tactic might be to grab the ball and hide and wait until you're team actualy needs releasing.
just a suggestion though.

ChaosJester

May 26, 2004
I love the idea of JBCTF though it might be difficult to make maps where it is a choice to save you team or cap the flag without them becoming navigation nightmares. If i had more mapping experience I would jump at the chance. That would make one of my fave gametypes only more kick@$$. If it is possible please do it.

DYN@MITE

Volley-Fire
May 28, 2004
Belgium
its a nice idea sex, but it would be too complicated for me i'm more a frag now think later guy. But for you i could make an effort of understanding the concept

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I think the default flag actors can trigger events when you score, so somebody should simply try replacing the release switches with flag bases and set the correct events - maybe it even works. :)

[edit]
Nope, doesn't seem to work. Probably requires some coding work to get the flags to work as a CTF-independant game objective.

Last edited:

ColombianCartel

May 28, 2004
after reading this topic i remembered the game from elementary school except there were more rules. 1st the fields were split into 2 halfs 1 side was blue the other red. the jails were in the corner on each far side and the flag was in the middle on both sides. for the rules u could not tag any one of the opposite side unless they were on urs (if red ran into the blue half red can be taged by blue if red tryed to tag blue in blue half he cant) to free friends from jail u gotta run thru the red half and tag a friend from jail and all can return to their own side without being able to be taged but wouldnt be allowed to get the flag. i think this would be able to work if the only weapon u got was the shield gun. but for a addon u could include the arena matches with all the standard weapons.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
/me likes JailBreak
/me likes Capture The Flag
/me likes Bombing Run

/me hates alienating gametype hybrids

bIgnoreIfGoodIdea=True

... thing is: i can bare with vehicles in JB matches (though limited), but having any of the previously mentioned gametype mixes would really be non-JailBreak. The focus of the game still is capture all enemies, and release teammates if necessary. Mix and match with other gametypes, and the objective would diverge. A non-JailBreak.

Just MO...

RøzZ.

Jun 15, 2004
to prevent the uneven teams u cud give each player say.........3 lives? JBCTF does sound good though :D

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
All we realy need is some JBHoldObjective or JBDestryableObjectiveSM, preferably the former.

Save the more complicated shiznit for in jail "escapes"

Last edited:

ArmedNewb

Jun 22, 2004
I would say JBCTF could work if inmates were automatically released in intervals of a minute to a minute and a half (but then again that's coming from someone who has played a lot of JB on a 2D game).

ArmedNewb

Jun 22, 2004
Not that anyone cares, but I forgot to mention this in my last post: JBCTF should be designed so that players can only go to jail when they are on enemy territory. A neutral area could be added in between each team's territory where no one will go to jail if they get killed there. That in addition to the automatic release thing should make JBCTF fun (or Jail CTF as I'm used to calling it), but that's just my opinion.