I've given in.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
A month ago, i had a problem where my CPU suddebly decided to shut the computer down 2 to 10 seconds after booting with no error/beeping at all.
It killed that CPU, so i changed boards/PSU/CPU.

Its done it again with a new board/chip.

Anyone got any bright ideas? best i've had is a loose connection. if there is one its in the CPU because thats the only thing stopping it booting.

Anyone know if Intels are more durable/less prone to this bull****?
I feel like spending money on something what works properly.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Hmm, it happen 2-10 secs after booting..Did you connect the CPU fan to the CPU fan connector on your motherboard, or did you hook it up to a molex? Some mobo's shut down if they don't have a fan connected to the CPU fan connector.

Have you tried booting with a minimal system? (CPU, mobo, memory, Harddisk) no extra cards?

Which mobo/cpu do you have? I've always had AMD's on a ASUS mobo, I've never had any problems with it. I don't think Intels are more durable or less prone tho that bull.... but I do know AMD's tend to run a bit hotter than Intel's. (which shouldn't be a problem with proper cooling.)

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
Tried all that, H/Sfan was all connected up and checked so thouroughly that its scratched into the CPU.
Shame that, These protective rubber feet things on the CPU are suposed to stop that, and what happened to them? they melt and compress then fall off.

Both boards were MSI (KT4V-l & KTAa-V)
The later one is being sent back because i hate it, and the sound stopped working.

LooseCannon

... but it's not pink ... ooh yes it is!
Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire, UK
Ditto _Zd_Meelobee_: is the CPU fan spinning? CPU's get very hot very quickly. Also, the MOBO fan?

Plus _Zd_Meelobee_: boot with minimal system and after a bios reset and with default/fail-safe bios settings.

The same symptons happening with brand new mobo/cpu/psu... any other components carried over from the old system?

A shot in the dark, but would a RAM issue cause an instant shutdown. In my experience, RAM errors always post a message and hang the system.

Intel vs AMD. Well, I've used both, at home and work. The only CPU issues I've had, regardless of manufacturer, have been caused by:
1. Me mucking about with the FSB speed etc (well, you've got to try ;) )
2. Dodgey MOBO hardware - once only
3. Dodgey MOBO bios pre updating - once only

Damn, with only 10 seconds max, we can't even blame the operating system! ;)

GL DeaJae