Is C# the best language to learn right now?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
Get good with javascript. It runs anywhere and is at the point it is as fast as C++ and with V8 and node.js can do anything you would do in another language.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Anyone who would willingly put themselves through server side Javascripting ....................

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Well, there would be a lot of things you'd have to change, probably. Are you using XNA there? In C++ you'd have to use something like SDL, but it would probably be a good goal for you to try to match that feature-wise and see if you can figure out how to do it.

...SDL? What for?

Get good with javascript. It runs anywhere and is at the point it is as fast as C++ and with V8 and node.js can do anything you would do in another language.

I can't work out whether this is an attempt at humour or not.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Who knows. JavaScript does have quite some OOP features (in fact, everything, including numbers and functions are objects), but the lack of strong typing makes it pointless for anything else than clientside web applications and exploits in web sites and PDF files.

RoadKillGrill

Got Lead?
Dec 11, 2004
rahkogen.net
Who knows. JavaScript does have quite some OOP features (in fact, everything, including numbers and functions are objects), but the lack of strong typing makes it pointless for anything else than clientside web applications and exploits in web sites and PDF files.

Why python is wonderful language. :lol:

C++ is the way to go, if you understand C++ the others are easy past learning the language's library features.

JavaScript can't be as fast as C++ when the interpreter is written in c/c++ ;) I don't think that there is room for as much optimization either as you still need to resolve the type still, which can change mid code.

Don't get me wrong interpretive languages have a place, but its defiantly not speed.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I like Python. But the thing is, Python IS an OO language. It uses common object oriented concepts. Javascript is a prototype language. I dislike the design philosophy behind prototyping, I wouldn't ever wish that crap on anyone, especially as a server side language.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
Java isn't particularly great for game development; but it can be used. I've done some work in it; performance wasn't fantastic but it was usable for simple games.

I don't suggest Python for game dev at all.

However.

C# is a fantastic language to know if you do game development. A lot of impressive indie games have been written in it, and if you're not working in a large team, the time you'll save using C#/XNA over C++ adds up very fast.

That being said, it's important to be good with C++.

What I suggest is that you do familiarize yourself with C++, but primarily write portfolio piece games in C# (as you'll find you actually finish them). At the end of the day, having a strong portfolio is going to say a lot more for your programming skills on an application than anything else. So yes, know C++, but don't fall into the trap of feeling confined to it.

RoadKillGrill

Got Lead?
Dec 11, 2004
rahkogen.net
I don't suggest Python for game dev at all.

Python is a great scripting language, its good game development, assuming most the code is written in C/C++.

Its about the same as using lua as the sctipting, the added bonus is that at least the artist I worked with knew python so that they could write the intermediate code so get asset loading and walking in the game like they wanted without asking me.

Depends on your pipleine. Having an easy sctipting language for events and players construction is allot easier than having it all in C++ when it comes to tweaking.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Probably time I said something in here.

The two words I can say is, it depends. What is the scope of your project? What kind of project is it? There are some languages that are better suited for some tasks over others because of the API bindings they have. Once we know, it's much easier rather than blindly giving random advice.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
C# is a horrible language as far as getting "in the industry". Knowledge of it in addition to something like C++ is fine, but no well-vetted company in the industry is developing games using C#, and seeing C# on your resume or in your portfolio for a programming gig isn't going to make them any more or less interested in you.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
I like Python. But the thing is, Python IS an OO language. It uses common object oriented concepts. Javascript is a prototype language. I dislike the design philosophy behind prototyping, I wouldn't ever wish that crap on anyone, especially as a server side language.

I do too but with something like Joose you don't have to deal with prototypes. Right now all the money to be made is either on console games, mobile and/or web using flash or JS. The last year has really changed what you can do on the web and how you can do it. Another two or three years if you aren't a javascript expert your not going to be able to do much of anything.

At the very least you should try it and see how it goes.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm a MooTools fan myself, and they've largely tried to do the same thing (make JS more object oriented and less... prototypey). I'm what I would call a Javascript "expert" I guess, but I still hate the language and would certainly never want to use it for any serious tasks.

Another frustration is that WebGL will be powered by Javascript. Like driving a racecar through quicksand.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
I'm really thinking that WebGL will not be used for games except for the occasional "because I can" and small ones. I have a couple of ideas to use it but those sites are not launched yet.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't think it will unless they get a serious development stack behind it. Although WebGL could replace Flash games, since ActionScript <--> JavaScript.