UE3 - UT3 In game texture issues.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

b r y o n

Aug 23, 2009
Hello.

I've run into a problem that concerns a custom character that I am working on.
The character is properly textured in the character selection screen in Unreal 3. However, in the game the torso is solid black and one leg is solid white.

I followed this tutorial: http://camink.com/UT3/UT3CustCharTutorial01.html

I followed the Unreal character UV coordinates.
I imported each texture with the appropriate LOD info.
I used a Material Instance Constant and used M_CH_All_Base_02 as the parent.

The thing that is most confusing is that it works in the selection screen but not in game...does this mean that is has something to do with the code?
Here is the .ini

Parts=(Part=PART_Head,ObjectName="CH_BlackTeamMarine.MarineHead",PartID="MarineHead",FamilyID="IRNM")
Parts=(Part=PART_Torso,ObjectName="CH_BlackTeamMarine.MarineTorso",PartID="MarineTorso",FamilyID="IRNM")
Parts=(Part=PART_Arms,ObjectName="CH_BlackTeamMarine.MarineArms",PartID="MarineArms",FamilyID="IRNM")
Parts=(Part=PART_Thighs,ObjectName="CH_BlackTeamMarine.MarineLegs",PartID="MarineLegs",FamilyID="IRNM")
Parts=(Part=PART_Boots,ObjectName="CH_BlackTeamMarine.MarineBoots",PartID="MarineBoots",FamilyID="IRNM")
Characters=(CharName="Marine",Description="Custom Character",CharID="Marine",Faction="IronGuard", PreviewImageMarkup="<Images:UI_Portrait.Character.UI_Portrait_Character_TwinSouls_Male_Head03>", CharData=(FamilyID="IRNM",HeadID="MarineHead",TorsoID="MarineTorso",bHasLeftShoPad=false, bHasRightShoPad=false, ArmsID="MarineArms", ThighsID="MarineLegs", BootsID="MarineBoots") , AIData=(Jumpiness=-0.4,StrafingAbility=-0.2,CombatStyle=0.5,FavoriteWeapon="UTGame.UTWeap_RocketLauncher"))

Some UV coordinates are overlapping. Is this an issue? I looked at some of the Unreal Characters and they appeared to have overlapping coordinates as well...

One suggestion that i have received is to just keep reimporting assets and creating the package until it works...this however does not sound like it would be very useful (or efficient).

I am completely unaware of what to do.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

SelectionScreen.jpg

SelectionScreen02.jpg

ingame.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:

b r y o n

Aug 23, 2009
Solved the issue by exporting all of the meshes from the 3D software as .obj files, importing them into a new file and reskinning them (with a skin wrap modifier thankfully).

Apparently something was wrong with the 3DS Max file and not the material like I had originally thought. I think something probably went wrong with the file after it crashed while i was using Mirror Mode in the skin modifier.