I need a new TV

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Well, my old '89 econo Zenith TV just broke down today. Apparently I should have used a remote more often, as none of the buttons work anymore. I was also growing very tired of that oversized pile of junk. Even though it was a nice 32", it didnt make a difference if you couldnt see anything on it.

So now I am in need to upgrade to something nice, but I dont want to spend too much money on it. Preferably under $700 (but I can work with it). I was looking at the Samsung 26??WH or 30??WH series DirectView HDTVs. They're a bit more pricy than the generic stuff like Panasonic, but their name has earned my trust. The 26" sells for ~$649 retail average, while the 30" sells for ~$1000 average.

I KNOW I can get a better deal than that. This is what I need help with. I need to know where a wholesale website (similar to NewEgg or Tiger Direct) would be for home entertainment and such. More specificly, TVs. And I dont want to spend $7,000 on S&H like I would have to on eBay.

Also, if there is a better TV that gives more bang for the 700 bucks, tell me about it. And by bang for buck, I mean practical. I dont care about picture in picture in picture, 100 aux channels, or integrated Wi-Fi host controller for a cell phone. However if there is a TV that has a faster input response, or better dot pitch, or can do 720p as good as 1080i, I'd like to know.

Thanks. And yes, those examples are exagerations.

Dillinger

-=]N[=-
Sep 5, 2004
Ohio, USA
Rostam said:
Don't get a Sony, and you will also be very sorry if you get a Philips.
That is all.
Yeah, my flatscreen 26" Sony Vaio(one of the first flatscreens, I believe) is terrible. It's only about 5 years old and it's already getting some major problems. When I change the channel, it makes a loud static sound that is quite annoying, and the picture is starting to turn wavey.

Last edited:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Eh, the 48" Philips we have downstairs has worked just fine for about 15 years now.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
But they don't make TV's like they used to anymore. TV's are a hard choice now IMO, espescially flatscreens can turn out extremely annoying very fast. Some even have fans built in them for cooling, so every 15 minutes you hear this strange noise...

Anyway, best budget buy is a Sharp IMO. You shouldn't buy one of those strange brands that only offer extremely cheap TV's. A friend of mine worked in a store and he said those TV's tend to start fires at night. He had alot of them returned.

Best way to go might be to just go to a store and make a list of TV's that are up to your demands. After that, talk to people and remove ****ty TV's. It's a pretty fast way to decide.