I like your new site Bot

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I'll do that to the links on the links page sometime. The external links in the news open in a new window though.
Or you could just right click -> open in new window :rolleyes:

cdeaconu

waiting for the worms
Jul 13, 2001
not far enough
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by Bot_40
I'll do that to the links on the links page sometime. The external links in the news open in a new window though.
Or you could just right click -> open in new window :rolleyes:

Good, it'll probably take the most of 10 seconds.

At least that way you'll lessen the evil effect of frames.

bobtheking

Monkey in a bucket
Dec 1, 2001
dx*dp >= h/4pi
Visit site
there's nothing wrong with frames, i like them, it is easier to navigate framed webstites.

cdeaconu, i didn't want to type your name because when i typed it just then, i had to read one letter, forward, type it, back, read one letter, forward, type it...:rolleyes: i didn't feel like doing that the first time;)

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Originally posted by bobtheking

cdeaconu, i didn't want to type your name because when i typed it just then, i had to read one letter, forward, type it, back, read one letter, forward, type it...:rolleyes: i didn't feel like doing that the first time;)

Ever tried Ctrl+C followed by Ctrl+V :p

cdeaconu

waiting for the worms
Jul 13, 2001
not far enough
www.geocities.com
Fine don't believe me.
---
Frames

Once they were all the rage, but now you'll rarely find them on popular sites. Their demise is mainly down to the problems of search engine access, external linking and bookmarking. Since they have definite downsides, you need to find a very positive reason if you're going to use them. Static and consistent navigation isn't sufficient reason. Most usability experts are against frames.

That came from http://wdvl.internet.com/Authoring/Design/Basics/use3.html

---
Frames are no longer the disaster they were in 1995 and early 1996 due to some advances in browser technology: Netscape fixed the Back button with version 3, and since virtually nobody uses version 1 and 2 any more, this means that users can now navigate through frames with fewer problems. Version 4 reduced the problems printing frames (though users still often get a different printout than they expected), and Internet Explorer 5 has finally regained the ability to bookmark pages despite the use of frames. Frames still prevent users from emailing a recommended URL to other users and they also make the page more clumsy to interact with.

Thta came from http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990502.html.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
Originally posted by cdeaconu
Fine don't believe me.
---
Frames

Once they were all the rage, but now you'll rarely find them on popular sites. Their demise is mainly down to the problems of search engine access, external linking and bookmarking. Since they have definite downsides, you need to find a very positive reason if you're going to use them. Static and consistent navigation isn't sufficient reason. Most usability experts are against frames.

That came from http://wdvl.internet.com/Authoring/Design/Basics/use3.html

---
Frames are no longer the disaster they were in 1995 and early 1996 due to some advances in browser technology: Netscape fixed the Back button with version 3, and since virtually nobody uses version 1 and 2 any more, this means that users can now navigate through frames with fewer problems. Version 4 reduced the problems printing frames (though users still often get a different printout than they expected), and Internet Explorer 5 has finally regained the ability to bookmark pages despite the use of frames. Frames still prevent users from emailing a recommended URL to other users and they also make the page more clumsy to interact with.

Thta came from http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990502.html.
some of these problems aren't the fault of framesets, but the coders who code the pages inside the frames. like the problems of linking to external sites from within a frame is bad coding from the webmaster/site designer. and there is even an easier way to fix this (more of a work-around actually), just make the external links open up a new browser window. this is what i had my webmaster do with my page that uses frames. (btw, he knows about the weird menu issue and is working to fix it)

cdeaconu

waiting for the worms
Jul 13, 2001
not far enough
www.geocities.com
hey stoneviper,

ur right, they can be fixed.

also, i noticed something about ur site (but it's not really an error or something fatal)

instead of using <font> tags, use style sheets. i noticed u have a linked one. using it would increase dl speed by about...

well u might notice it if u use a 7600 baud modem.

Edit: I notice most of "your" site uses CSS. there must of been just one small portion that didn't.

pretty nice site actually, but there really is no point in having frames in your case except for a counter. who really cares about the number of visitors?

Last edited:

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic

Famous last words

Hehe, well it's my site, my judgement. I think I see some of your points, but I like how the page presents itself. I've used tons of tables before and they're nice, but I think they're annoying to set up. I also like the form of frames i think oddly shaped tables are funny looking.

cdeaconu

waiting for the worms
Jul 13, 2001
not far enough
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by Chrysaor

Hehe, well it's my site, my judgement. I think I see some of your points, but I like how the page presents itself. I've used tons of tables before and they're nice, but I think they're annoying to set up. I also like the form of frames i think oddly shaped tables are funny looking.

well, i guess different strokes for different folks.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
hey stoneviper,

ur right, they can be fixed.

also, i noticed something about ur site (but it's not really an error or something fatal)

instead of using <font> tags, use style sheets. i noticed u have a linked one. using it would increase dl speed by about...

well u might notice it if u use a 7600 baud modem.

Edit: I notice most of "your" site uses CSS. there must of been just one small portion that didn't.

pretty nice site actually, but there really is no point in having frames in your case except for a counter. who really cares about the number of visitors?
ill run that by my webmaster, he's the one who made that site, thnx, what he's trying to do is make it so the top menu is part of the topframe. he doesn't know yet how to make it so the links will open a new page with the main frame, (since the menu code isn't html)