Huh? Did I miss something? Epic dumped Infogrames??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=21714

UC 2 is also the first Unreal game under Epic’s new publisher, Microsoft Game Studios, leaving their long time publisher Infogrames/Atari (which inherited the Unreal franchise when it bought its publisher GT Interactive)

Huh?? :eek: Is this for real or did HomeLanFed get things mixed up? Was there any official announcement by Epic, Atari or MS Games recently?

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
No, this is for real.
It was long rumored that UT2004 would be the last game Epic would have published by Infogrames. I'm not too fond about MS as a new game studio, but I realize they can't **** it up much more than Infogrames did.

Begone Infogrames :stick:

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Loibisch said:
they can't **** it up much more than Infogrames did.
Infogrames sure acted like a bunch of muppets quite often. I'm not sure it can't get worse though. :(

Take a look at Halo and you get a rough idea what might happen to Unreal under MS as publisher:

- preferable published as Xbox exclusive first. PC version later
- no more OpenGL support
- no more Linux server support
- no more Linux or Mac client
- even more Ads (MS, Xbox, Intel, Nvidia, ...)
- lousy MS customer support
- Clippy asking "It looks like you're coding an aimbot. What do you want to do? ..."

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
boy, the Linux support possibility is disturbing. Talk about stabbing the community...probably shouldn't panic yet though. But the thought of product the quality of Halo PC coming out with an "Unreal" name in the title is the most frightning of all. HaloPC made 2k3 look like the game of the century.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
The partnership with microsoft is mostly so that epic's little company made to create x-box games can publish easier. We don't know if that's going to affect the publishing of their PC titles.

Dang that happened a LOOOOONG time ago.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Tetris L said:
Infogrames sure acted like a bunch of muppets quite often. I'm not sure it can't get worse though. :(

Take a look at Halo and you get a rough idea what might happen to Unreal under MS as publisher:

- preferable published as Xbox exclusive first. PC version later
- no more OpenGL support
- no more Linux server support
- no more Linux or Mac client
- even more Ads (MS, Xbox, Intel, Nvidia, ...)
- lousy MS customer support
- Clippy asking "It looks like you're coding an aimbot. What do you want to do? ..."
You know, it's not like MS is coding the bugger, just publishing. While that will give them the opportunity to decide certain things with future games their influence on Epic will be minimal. I'm sure they have a contract ruling what MS can and cannot do, and I certainly doubt Epic would have signed soemthing that gives them less control over their own games, especially when it comes to things like Linux support.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Listen, Epic has total control over their games. Although I was extremely concerned about the partnership, after receiving the details and playing UC2, I humbly admit that the partnership was a good idea. MS isn't publishing all Unreal games, just as Atari was originally signed to publish three Unreal titles, these deals are limited. MS didn't ruin the spirit or intent of Unreal. On the contrary, they improved it.

UC2 rocks and it doesn't split the community. UC2 isn't remotely similar to UT2004 and provides another level to the unreal universe. When I was invited to play the game, I originally had negative feelings (mainly because I dislike console games). However, when I saw and played the game, I immediately enjoyed it.

mortus\pyro

Jan 8, 2004
Halo doesn't have a dedicated linux server.

Epics partnership with microsoft will not in any way affect the future of the unreal series (be that in linux servers/versions/first release on PC etc). HaloPC cannot be used as an example in this scenario because microsoft actually own bungie not just publish for them :)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Uhh.. UC2? I haven't seen anything about a UC2 yet....

Still they're right. First there's no indication to show that ms will be publishing the pc titles. Second they are only the publishers and epic wouldn't give up their liberties like that. In bungies case they were bought out so they had to do what ms wanted. That's not the case with epic.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I saw previews of UC2 and im skeptical as to how good it will actually be. My main concern is the support it will recieve, UC got zero in the way of support and content for Xbox live. Epic coulda really taken advantage of Xbox live and released a lot of great content for UC, instead they decide to release three crappy maps and call it good.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
From a pure publishing standpoint Microsoft is the most financially reliable source. I doubt they could control Epic's developing strategy at all, and having them being a publisher means that it would be cheaper and less risky to develop more console games for the developers. I think it's a completly win-win situation myself. I never liked Infogrammes/Atari anyway, not after the XMP fiasco.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Prophetus said:
UC2 rocks and it doesn't split the community. UC2 isn't remotely similar to UT2004 and provides another level to the unreal universe. When I was invited to play the game, I originally had negative feelings (mainly because I dislike console games). However, when I saw and played the game, I immediately enjoyed it.

WHEEE

http://planetunreal.com/features/uc2/index.shtml

This is gonna be most interesting not just in how it plays but how it changes the unreal community. Tho I believe proph when he says it doesn't split the community.

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
This really shouldn't surprise too many people. Epic did have that 'secret' meeting with Bill Gates when they were making UT, and I'm sure he wanted a publishing deal then. However, at that time Epic was still under contract from GT/Infogrames, so they couldn't do anything about it.
Like them or not, Microsoft does have a very good publishing division. Most of their software ships in good condition with almost no bugs, and (on the whole) they are good about getting them fixed.

HyDeZaLoT

Vehicular Hitman
Oct 1, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
naw, everyone is screwing up in the software biz... all the suits are having fielddays going on vacation in tahiti... while firing the companies/programers that allowed them to live such a life... the same is with craptari and Legend Entertainment